Quantcast

iPad is more than just a neat toy.....

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Tis true. Just last week I witnessed my disabled fake cousin have a ball of a time watching videos and playing around on his iPad. It caters to his needs quite well.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
That was your birthday rejection wasn't it?
Yeah. I aimed high and was shot down. :rofl: That's why I rewrote it in informal/layman's style and am aiming low now. heh

The prize was for a conference, independent of whether it gets published in a "real" journal separate from the conference proceedings. So that's done at least.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Didn't you hear? The iPad is doomed. :rolleyes:
I stand by my views. Ipad has only seen the success it has because it was first to market. It's easy to be successful and dominate the field when you're the only game in town. The only REAL competition right now is the Samsung Galaxy, but its overpriced. All other competitive devices won't hit till 2011. Two things are going to happen that will see the ipad lose market share:

-lower price tablets. Apple hit the market first and set the bar. That bar is currently too high. What you're getting is basically the bastard child of a netbook and a iphone that doesn't make phone calls. For something intended for casual use, $500 is a boatload of money. Once we get more competition from companies like Asus, HP, Toshiba, and the handful of other companies that have the capabilities to deliver, we will see prices drop. I doubt Apple will follow suit, that's not their MO. This is also a double faceted issue: more production = more volume = lower prices.

-a more powerful and versatile solution that is viable as a business tool will take off and dominate the market. something that is closer on the spectrum to a laptop than a jumbo sized smartphone. I have seen one or two companies (I think it was toshiba or lenovo) that showed off a pretty trick laptop / tablet combo where the screen was detachable and would function as a standalone tablet.