Quantcast

iPhone OS4 FTW

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
From what I understand, the multitasking implementation is really more like app switching than a true multitasking functionality. I've never really felt like I've needed multitasking while using my iPhone so I'm not terribly bummed that the OS4 upgrade doesn't support multitasking for 3G models.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yep, it's not multitasking. The phone freezes and saves application states, and has provided developers with ways to access certain parts of the phone through APIs. So, good that they can provide certain types of background processing... but it's not going to be as accessible and varied as Android.

TBH, the lack of widgets and native support for Google Voice is going to push me to Android. The backgrounding capability will probably allow a better third party app integration for Google Voice but it still won't integrate into the phone's functions.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I don't see why. The ads won't be any more intrusive, they're designing a way to allow the ads to actually be more useful to the end-user. Which is great, IMO.
but they're still ads. Why the hell should we have to tolerate ads on a device that costs nearly $200 (subsidized) and another $80+ a month to use? :thumbsdown:

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
but they're still ads. Why the hell should we have to tolerate ads on a device that costs nearly $200 (subsidized) and another $80+ a month to use? :thumbsdown:
All that has nothing to do with Apps. Developers have to get paid, or theres no apps. Theres no apps theres no iPhone.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Did you actually read about this or are you just knee-jerk rejecting something that says "ad" in it?

My guess is it's the latter.

If you read about it, you'd find out that this doesn't have anything to do with the phone. It's an API/infrastructure to allow app developers to insert ads into their apps (which are already there) without them being straight links into Safari or to the app store, which disrupt the application when you click on them.

They're providing a way to bring the ad content into the application, rather than exiting the application to view it. The ads already exist.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Did you actually read about this or are you just knee-jerk rejecting something that says "ad" in it?

My guess is it's the latter.

If you read about it, you'd find out that this doesn't have anything to do with the phone. It's an API/infrastructure to allow app developers to insert ads into their apps (which are already there) without them being straight links into Safari or to the app store, which disrupt the application when you click on them.

They're providing a way to bring the ad content into the application, rather than exiting the application to view it. The ads already exist.

still retarded.

and this also could serve as a good segway into what's wrong with Apple's whole app store business model, but...

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
still retarded.

and this also could serve as a good segway into what's wrong with Apple's whole app store business model, but...
Care to explain why you think it's retarded?

Because what I'm seeing here is: <fingers in ears> LALALALALA! APPLE SUCKS ADS SUCK I'M NOT LISTENING LALALALA!

Ads support free apps. I have lots of free apps on my phone that are ad supported. I would welcome a better way to deliver content to me. At the worst, they are exactly as they are now - something to ignore and no bigger or more intrusive than they were. At the best, if I'm actually interested in the product, I can look at the ad without it knocking me out of my application/game/whatever and perhaps have some rich media along with it.

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
I'm looking forward to OS4 - I really like the folder option
I'm looking forward to this too. I hate flipping 6 pages to get to apps.

As far as the multi-tasking goes. It will be nice to be able to listen to Pandora or other music apps, and still be able to use the phones other features. I stream a morning show off my iphone some mornings, but its annoying when I have to leave the app to check my schedule or use another app, then go back and load up the radio.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
TBH, the lack of widgets and native support for Google Voice is going to push me to Android. The backgrounding capability will probably allow a better third party app integration for Google Voice but it still won't integrate into the phone's functions.
It seems developers may start to switch too:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/10/steve-jobs-responds-to-complaint-about-new-development-tool-rest/

http://www.taoeffect.com/blog/2010/04/steve-jobs-response-on-section-3-3-1/

The Mac has only been helped by the fact that Firefox, Ableton Live, and hundreds of other high-quality applications can run on it thanks to the fact that developers have a choice as to what tools they can use on it.

Crappy developers will make crappy apps regardless of how many layers there are, and it doesn&#8217;t make sense to limit source-to-source conversion tools like Unity3D and others. They&#8217;re all building apps through the iPhone developer tools in the end so the situation isn&#8217;t even comparable to the Mac where applications can completely avoid using Apple&#8217;s frameworks by replacing them with others.

In my opinion, 3.3.1 only serves to make the platform less attractive to legitimate developers, giving them reason to write their software for competing platforms instead.
Apple is free to write whatever absurd rules they want for their SDK, but in doing so, I think the &#8220;creative company&#8221; is undermining creativity itself, and at its own expense.
FTL. Think different, think again!