Quantcast

Iron Horse 2009 bikes are up

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
hope I'm not breaking your heart here, but you know that Hill is riding for Specialized in '09 right?
just put your heartfelt signature quote and fondness for Iron Horse bikes together and calculated your fanboy-dom; it's off the scale...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Just out of curiosity, will 09 IH customer support be the pits? And when the DW-Link bikes phase out in 2010 will there be no support at all?

skiforfree33

Monkey
Mar 15, 2007
colorado
hope I'm not breaking your heart here, but you know that Hill is riding for Specialized in '09 right?
just put your heartfelt signature quote and fondness for Iron Horse bikes together and calculated your fanboy-dom; it's off the scale...
Cool man! First the quote is just a good race quote. And second I was trying to get a new hanger and the bolts for the hanger for my Sunday and you can no longer order Iron Horse stuff from a bike shop you have to go to rscycle.com. I saw that they had the new bikes up. so pretty much I know it looks bad but it all was by chance.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
Cool man! First the quote is just a good race quote. And second I was trying to get a new hanger and the bolts for the hanger for my Sunday and you can no longer order Iron Horse stuff from a bike shop you have to go to rscycle.com. I saw that they had the new bikes up. so pretty much I know it looks bad but it all was by chance.
haha, it's all good bud. i was just messin' with ya.

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
Sunday Elite:
Fork: Totem Solo Air, Tapered Steerer
Headset: VP A98S for 1.5 Taper

Another company doing the tapered steertube thing.

chriscarleton

Monkey
Aug 4, 2007
Portland Maine
Well, for one I'm pretty sure that Ironhorse has never made a cyclocross bike before. I don't understand what market they are going for with this bike as the cyclocross market is very small and boutique oriented. Although the success of the Sunday and the use of the DW Link has allowed Ironhorse to tap into the boutique market, it just really doesn't seem to fit with what they do. For example; for the duration of the life of the DW Link license agreement with Ironhorse, most people would compare the Sunday or any other IH bike (MK, 6point, 7point) right along with other sought after brands such as Intense, Turner, Santa Cruz, Foes, etc.

But before the DW Link, during the mid to late 90's, most of Ironhorse's focus was on mass producing lower end bikes that you might find at Dick's Sporting Goods or Sports Authority. It just doesn't seem like Ironhorse has the history or brand loyalty (especially after recent events) to get into producing a cyclocross bike. I think it's safe to say that most people that purchase a cyclocross bike from a company that mainly produces mountain bikes are extremely loyal to the brand. Even with Ironhorse's success with the DW Link I don't see them having the brand loyalty to attract these types of consumers.

All in all, it just seems like a totally random decision to sell a cyclocross bike.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, for one I'm pretty sure that Ironhorse has never made a cyclocross bike before. I don't understand what market they are going for with this bike as the cyclocross market is very small and boutique oriented. Although the success of the Sunday and the use of the DW Link has allowed Ironhorse to tap into the boutique market, it just really doesn't seem to fit with what they do. For example; for the duration of the life of the DW Link license agreement with Ironhorse, most people would compare the Sunday or any other IH bike (MK, 6point, 7point) right along with other sought after brands such as Intense, Turner, Santa Cruz, Foes, etc.

But before the DW Link, during the mid to late 90's, most of Ironhorse's focus was on mass producing lower end bikes that you might find at Dick's Sporting Goods or Sports Authority. It just doesn't seem like Ironhorse has the history or brand loyalty (especially after recent events) to get into producing a cyclocross bike. I think it's safe to say that most people that purchase a cyclocross bike from a company that mainly produces mountain bikes are extremely loyal to the brand. Even with Ironhorse's success with the DW Link I don't see them having the brand loyalty to attract these types of consumers.

All in all, it just seems like a totally random decision to sell a cyclocross bike.
You have to understand what's involved with designing and engineering different kinds of bikes.

With full-suspension bikes, there is so much work involved which is why they went from FSR to DW to Ellsworth's design, paying the licensing fees.

With road and cyclocross bikes, they probably selected a frame from a big Cheng-Shing catalog and threw on some parts.

chriscarleton

Monkey
Aug 4, 2007
Portland Maine
You have to understand what's involved with designing and engineering different kinds of bikes.

With full-suspension bikes, there is so much work involved which is why they went from FSR to DW to Ellsworth's design, paying the licensing fees.

With road and cyclocross bikes, they probably selected a frame from a big Cheng-Shing catalog and threw on some parts.
I understand that, but I still think it's random. Maybe they have some big plan to enter the cyclocross market, I don't know. I do know that most people I know that own cyclocross bikes are fairly picky about what bikes they ride and what parts they use.

I also know that Ironhorse just terminated all sales with independent retailers so I don't really understand how they plan on selling these things.

Also, if they are just going for bikes that are cheap to make I don't really understand their choice to manufacture and sell a cross bike.

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I understand that, but I still think it's random. Maybe they have some big plan to enter the cyclocross market, I don't know. I do know that most people I know that own cyclocross bikes are fairly picky about what bikes they ride and what parts they use.

I also know that Ironhorse just terminated all sales with independent retailers so I don't really understand how they plan on selling these things.
Lets say there is a certain monkey with the initials of TS who wonders the same thing.

7lucky

Chimp
Oct 25, 2008
i have to say..for a gay little trans-gender bike or whatever...it has a bad ass wheelset.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California

There is way more money in lower to midrange bikes than high end bikes. Sundays, 7 points etc are more of a specialty bike for only a small number of people. I think IH's angle is move more lower end bikes and make more money. Bottom line, it's all about the mighty dollar.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
As I recall, IHBC is still selling to independent retailers outside the U.S. There's a pretty huge 'cross scene in Europe.

--JP

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
im amused that the DH forum is now bogged down with discussion regarding the addition of a cross bike to the IH lineup.

i gotta say, i like the 1X9 XC rig - Scotch - one, on the rocks please.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Cross bikes make great commuters. With IH selling at large retailers, who cater to the normal Joe Shmoes, they'll probably sell tons of CX bikes to people looking to use them as commuters. Makes sense. Heck, even proper CX racing has gained a ton of popularity in the last three years. Thanks, Lance.

i gotta say, i like the 1X9 XC rig - Scotch - one, on the rocks please.
Looks solid. Throw a chain guide on there and rock out. Wonder how comfy it is with that gnarly seat tube bracing.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yeah, it seems like everybody makes a crosser...not surprised to see another manufacturer jump on the man(in tight jeans)-pile

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
yeah, it seems like everybody makes a crosser...not surprised to see another manufacturer jump on the man(in tight jeans)-pile
Cross bikes are legitimately practical, and there are plenty of people who race them as well. I don't see them as a stupid hipster bike at all. Fixies, sure, but I see cross bikes as quite sensible.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Cross bikes are legitimately practical, and there are plenty of people who race them as well. I don't see them as a stupid hipster bike at all. Fixies, sure, but I see cross bikes as quite sensible.
oh come on...it's just a cheap joke