Quantcast

Iron Horse 6 Point frame stuck pin in lower link

tfree120

Chimp
Jun 11, 2007
Towson
I have a 2007 6 point frame. I've been taking it apart to get it resprayed and got everything off except for the lower link. The only thing not budging is the pin that connects the lower link to the rear triangle. I have tried hammering it out using the bolt from the opposite side. It moved about 10mm but will not move any further. I've already messed up the treads on the pin. Is there anything else I can do to remove the pin?

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I have a 2007 6 point frame. I've been taking it apart to get it resprayed and got everything off except for the lower link. The only thing not budging is the pin that connects the lower link to the rear triangle. I have tried hammering it out using the bolt from the opposite side. It moved about 10mm but will not move any further. I've already messed up the treads on the pin. Is there anything else I can do to remove the pin?
Are you going in the right direction? On the sunday the lower pin goes from right to left, non drive to drive side. It shouldn't be too hard at all to get the pin out.

tfree120

Chimp
Jun 11, 2007
Towson
Are you going in the right direction? On the sunday the lower pin goes from right to left, non drive to drive side. It shouldn't be too hard at all to get the pin out.
Yea. If I'm correct on the sunday there is a pin in the center with two bolts on either end? With the 6 Point there is a bolt on the drive side and the pin and the opposite bolt are one piece. So I only have one direction to go.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
No. Doesn't look like it.

You're right, the pin comes out from non drive side to drive side. Is it a hollow pin just like the sunday? If so get a bigger hex key or the other pin from the lower link and use that to tap out the pin. Use a dead blow hammer or rubber mallet. It might just be frozen in there. There is nothing else but the pin, screw, bearing covers and the bearings so there shouldn't be anything clamping on it.
http://ironhorsebikes.com/bikes/6point/6POINT_frame.pdf

tfree120

Chimp
Jun 11, 2007
Towson
You're right, the pin comes out from non drive side to drive side. Is it a hollow pin just like the sunday? If so get a bigger hex key or the other pin from the lower link and use that to tap out the pin. Use a dead blow hammer or rubber mallet. It might just be frozen in there. There is nothing else but the pin, screw, bearing covers and the bearings so there shouldn't be anything clamping on it.
http://ironhorsebikes.com/bikes/6point/6POINT_frame.pdf
I've tried that and messed up the threads on the pin so I can only use a hex key to tap it out now. I've got it out about a quarter of the way but it will not move any further. I've been wailing on it pretty hard. So frustrated. I already know I'll need a new pin and bolt.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I've tried that and messed up the threads on the pin so I can only use a hex key to tap it out now. I've got it out about a quarter of the way but it will not move any further. I've been wailing on it pretty hard. So frustrated. I already know I'll need a new pin and bolt.
If the pin is shot then bring to the LBS and let them go at it.
I know your feeling. My 4X main pivot bolt is frozen completely. I bent 4 steel punches in half while going to town on it with a deadblow hammer. I have to send the frame back to Yeti tomorrow.

tfree120

Chimp
Jun 11, 2007
Towson
If the pin is shot then bring to the LBS and let them go at it.
I know your feeling. My 4X main pivot bolt is frozen completely. I bent 4 steel punches in half while going to town on it with a deadblow hammer. I have to send the frame back to Yeti tomorrow.
Yea. I might do that. Thanks for the help. I was just hoping not to have to deal with iron horse.