Quantcast

Iron Horse SGS-Drill Mod-(Lower BB)???

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
I'de like to take my BB on my Iron Horse SGS down to about 13.5-13.8. I know the whole MadCatz team did this back when they were on SGS's. Just wondering if there is anything I should be aware of before I do it.

My bike is a 2004
Fork is Boxxer WC 2004 (maybe Fox 40 or 2003 Doardo soon)

HT will be???
BB wil be???

Anybody have any pictures?

Lumpy_Gravy

Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
What is the stock BB height on the SGS? 14"?

The stock height on mine feels like it catches everything (450 spring 200lbs), I have enough grazes on the E13 guard that would make me think twice about lowering it.

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
neversummersnow said:
I'de like to take my BB on my Iron Horse SGS down to about 13.5-13.8. I know the whole MadCatz team did this back when they were on SGS's. Just wondering if there is anything I should be aware of before I do it.

My bike is a 2004
Fork is Boxxer WC 2004 (maybe Fox 40 or 2003 Doardo soon)

HT will be???
BB wil be???

Anybody have any pictures?
To give you some info on my SGS, a 8.5" x 2.5" shock drops the BB to 14" and slacks the head-angle to 65 deg. It also drops the travel to 7".

This is with an 02 boxxer slammed all the way down and E13 cups to reduce the stack height.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
just run more sag.

I run 45% sag on mine,

BB height figures are bollox anyway, as it depends on what tyres you're running.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Gary said:
just run more sag.

I run 45% sag on mine,

BB height figures are bollox anyway, as it depends on what tyres you're running.

yea all geometry is BS because it depends on the slope of the ground youre measuring it on.

:dancing:

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Lumpy_Gravy said:
and the readings of the protractor, depend on how much your coke spoon obscures your vision.
and how much your coke spoon obscures your vision depends upon how much flour you cut the coke with....

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
(IH/ MC) only did it for a couple of courses. It made the bikes REALLY low and REALLY slack. I wouldn't recommend it unless you are only riding super fast and not rocky courses.

Dave

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Also should be noted that the 03s had different geo to the 04s (the 04s are lower and slacker anyway). I measured my BB height (04 SGS) to be 14.25" with 2.7" Minions F+R. While it could stand to be about 14", I don't think it's actually possible to drill the hole close enough to the existing one for it to work (.25" = ~6mm, divide by about 3 due to shock rate, multiply by 1.5 due to wheelbase effects on BB height and you're looking at moving the shock bolt about 3mm. You can't do that (well collinear with the current static shock axis anyway), the bolt is more than 3mm thick!

Really I wouldn't bother with it. The 04 SGS's are already lower than most bikes, and the head angle is pretty slack as is (bout 66* I believe?), with a low 7" fork. If you were dead set on doing it, I'd do what Metal said and just chuck a shorter shock in.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Just have to be conscious of where your pedals are... I've ridden some seriously low bikes and you only hit pedals when you're not paying attention to the terrain.