Quantcast

Ironhorse 7point3 vs. Bighit comp

Sinfield

Chimp
Oct 12, 2005
Hood River/ Portland OR.
Hi guys,
Not sure if this is the right forum to be asking this, but the downhill seems to get more traffic than the freeride forum.

Anyways, I've been riding a hardtail for about a year and a half and have gotten my skills to the point where I kind of wish I had a full suspension for high speed descents as well as bigger hit type freeriding. I made the mistake(?) of riding a friends bullit the other day and realized that on a lot of the trails that we ride a hardtail is probably holding me back progression/ fun wise.

Anyways, I've got a fairly low budget but I've been looking at used bikes on our local craigslist and found a couple of decent looking deals. I was just wondering what your thoughts on either bike is. I am idealy looking for a dually in the 6-7" travel range so both appear the fit the bill.

Bike 1- 05' Ironhorse 7point3. Stock components (5th element, Manitou stance, SRAM, etc) I don't really know much about ironhorse bikes and none of my riding buddies have had any experience either. Price- $950

Bike 2- 03 Bighit Comp. Stock components except for what looks to be an 04 Junior T. I've ridden a couple of buddies bighits and test road an 05 last season. Seemed like a pretty nice bike and I know that the frame design is proven. Price- $1000

Basically I'm kind of curious as to how you think the two bikes would compare for the type of riding that I like to do. The ironhorse intrigues me since it seems to have a better rear shock, SRAM components (which I've always loved when riding), and obviously the fact that it's newer. Thanks in advance for any thoughts, and once again, apologies if I posted this in the wrong forum.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The BigHit will feel more like a DH bike, where as the 7point is more of a FR bike. The BigHit's 24" back wheel makes it feel more DH but it doesn't roll over stuff as well.

I'd go for the 7point. Also, the stock fork is a Sherman I think, so if that's the case it's a decent fork.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
I have a 7point for riding trails and whistler etc, great bike, amazing suspension, good frame I can recomend it. I came off a FSR bike like the Big Hit and the Iron Horse rides better in so many ways.

If you get into DH then you can add an 8" fork to slack out the geo and away you go. It's a versitile bike for sure.

Jon.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
i personally would suggest the 7 point. yes i own one. Overall the 7 point will be a better bike. it can climb it also can descend quite nicely. I had a buddy who raced that same bike your looking at all summer and loved it.

The big hit is a good bike dont get me wrong. 24" tires are harder to find and personally i like the dw link over a horst link

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
I would just look at a new big hit bike from a specialized dealer that might ahve one on sale those bike are priced right and they have a nice look and build, check out bikes of Ojai they have helped me out and they hook everyone up with specialized bikes

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
zmtber said:
I would just look at a new big hit bike from a specialized dealer that might ahve one on sale those bike are priced right and they have a nice look and build, check out bikes of Ojai they have helped me out and they hook everyone up with specialized bikes
Dude, he lives in Oregon. I work there and I would never recommend my shop to someone that far away.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I would stay away from the BigHit. I had one and hated it. The DW link on the 7point is so much better on so many levels.

Head over to Trailhead Cycles in Hillsboro, they have a 7point they rent out that you can test ride. That bike is very nice.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Although I've never ridden the Specialized, I've been thoroughly impressed with my 7point that I built up this past winter. I love it! A very versatile bike in my opinion. Check MTBR's IH forum for some 7point action shots and rider set-ups. And that price for the 7point3 is a deal - take it!

toby

Sinfield

Chimp
Oct 12, 2005
Hood River/ Portland OR.
Thanks for all the advice guys. I haven't heard back from the seller of the bighit yet but the guy with the ironhorse responded promptly to my email w/ pics of the bike. It looks almost brand new with just a few minor scratches here and there.

I hadn't ever really heard anything about ironhorse bikes, but your feedback makes them seem pretty good. I think the 7point is going to be a little more up my alley riding wise, esp. w/ the platform on the 5th element. I like to earn my downhill. Hopefully the guy emails back and I can set up a time to take the bike for a spin.

Just a few more quick questions. What is the msrp on this bike? I didn't see it on the ironhorse website, although the mtbr.com reviews section indicated that it probably retailed for around 1700 new (makes this deal seem pretty good, although I may try and talk him down a few bucks).
And finally, all reports I have found indicate that the only major weak link on the bike is the Manitou Stance Flow fork that it comes with. Can the bike handle a dual crown fork? Most of the riders that I see around my area (Post Canyon) are running DC's and I see that pricepoint has a pretty good deal on an 04' junior T. I'd probably run the stance for a bit, but also considering upgrading my fork soon since my main riding buddy blew his fork and doesn't have cash for a new one. If I kicked him the stance we'd at least be able to ride some, which is more important to me that a few bucks.

Thanks again for the responses...I'll keep you posted, and hopefully have a ride review on a new bike soon :P

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
if you have a specialized dealer go to them and ask "what kind of a deal can you get me on a 06 bighit fsr 1?" my bike shop can get one for $1350 + tax. if you can get that instead!

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Sinfield said:
Thanks for all the advice guys. I haven't heard back from the seller of the bighit yet but the guy with the ironhorse responded promptly to my email w/ pics of the bike. It looks almost brand new with just a few minor scratches here and there.

I hadn't ever really heard anything about ironhorse bikes, but your feedback makes them seem pretty good. I think the 7point is going to be a little more up my alley riding wise, esp. w/ the platform on the 5th element. I like to earn my downhill. Hopefully the guy emails back and I can set up a time to take the bike for a spin.

Just a few more quick questions. What is the msrp on this bike? I didn't see it on the ironhorse website, although the mtbr.com reviews section indicated that it probably retailed for around 1700 new (makes this deal seem pretty good, although I may try and talk him down a few bucks).
And finally, all reports I have found indicate that the only major weak link on the bike is the Manitou Stance Flow fork that it comes with. Can the bike handle a dual crown fork? Most of the riders that I see around my area (Post Canyon) are running DC's and I see that pricepoint has a pretty good deal on an 04' junior T. I'd probably run the stance for a bit, but also considering upgrading my fork soon since my main riding buddy blew his fork and doesn't have cash for a new one. If I kicked him the stance we'd at least be able to ride some, which is more important to me that a few bucks.

Thanks again for the responses...I'll keep you posted, and hopefully have a ride review on a new bike soon :P
You sure can run a DC, the 7point5 comes stock w/ a Boxxer Ride. You may want to look into that fork as it's got 5-7" of travel, the adjustment is nice for climbing.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I'd go for the 7 Point, but at some point you'll have to swap out the Stance it came with...It WILL break. :p

BigHits are just the suck ;)

Sinfield

Chimp
Oct 12, 2005
Hood River/ Portland OR.
You can get reducer cups for the 1.5 headset to 1 1/8 right? I've been reading reviews (should call them horror stories) about how crappy the Stance is. I figure I'll use it for a bit maybe just to try it out if I go with this bike but that a fork upgrade should def. be in the bikes future. How is the 04 Junior T? Would it be a downgrade on this bike? Pricepoint has it for dirty cheap right now. Thanks again for all the replies.

BIGHIT756

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Maple Valley, Washington
bighit comps are sweeet!!! super burly, and pretty adjustable in the rear linkage. you can make them ride stiff, or super plush. I have never ridden the iron horse, but i guess they are suppose to be good. I had a BH comp 04 and i loved it. i had a shiver on mine, which worked awesome because it was 7.5 inches front and rear.

Sinfield

Chimp
Oct 12, 2005
Hood River/ Portland OR.
Well guys, just a quick update for you. Thanks for all the advice.

My new bike :D

This thing is soooooooo gorgeous. Seriously it's like brand new. I bought it off a guy who was a total bike enthusiast but was more into the XC side of things. He rode the bike a total of like 5 times then crashed pretty bad and decided to get rid of it. Aside from a few pits on the chainstay from chainslap, and a little paint rash on a seatsay from his crash the bike could have been ridden off the showroom floor.

Now I just have to learn how to setup a full suspension bike for my weight/ riding style. The guy I bought it from was probably like 130lbs. and I weight around 190 so the sag settings are way off. Seriously though, thanks for all the advice, I'm so happy with this bike. Well, I will be once I cut down the bars which are like three friggin feet wide. :P

Sinfield

Chimp
Oct 12, 2005
Hood River/ Portland OR.
hahaha...I knew someone would point that out. The guy who owned it last was big into xc and had the seat set like that. I couldn't even get on it. I lowered it though and it's sweet now. The other nice thing about this bike vs. the bighit is that it has a full seatube so I can have lots of adjustment for climbing vs. descending.

The bike also came with crank bro's mallets which will be gone as soon as I can get to my LBS to pick up a set of platforms.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Looks like a pretty solid bike. I'd start looking for a new fork before you start cursing that Stance fork. Junior Ts are known for high speed compression spiking, basically when you hit something fast and hard the fork locks out. This is not really what you want for downhill racing, but it can be okay for hucks and north shore stuff. I'd look for a used Super T, preferably an '03 or earlier because they had 2 hscv cartridges, '03s were the first to have 32mm stanchions. There are other good forks out there though if you are willing to buy used. Generally the bottom of the line fork is going to have a few problems, either durability, reliability or performance.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
I said this earlier in the thread, but I'll say it again. Check mtbr's Iron Horse forums for some info about suspension settings, spring rates, and clever ways to prevent chain slap. Nice ride. Great condition! I think that you made the right choice.:) Enjoy!

toby

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Nice choice... I was riding my 7point on the North Shore again last night and I seriously thank Dave Weagle every time I get back to the car. The bike rides so well and loves high speed or low speed tech. As said above go check the Iron Horse forum on MTBR for helpful tips on setting up the suspension. I'd guess you need a stiffer spring on the rear shock for your weight, I'm 210 and have a 400lb spring fitted over the 350 that was on there before.

Jon.

Sinfield

Chimp
Oct 12, 2005
Hood River/ Portland OR.
So I bought a shock pump today and did some searching on the mtbr. forums for shock tuning tips for the bike. I also downloaded a couple of tuning guides and went home and played with it for a bit. Turns out the bike's fit with a 300lb spring. :( My fat ass sags the thing through about half of it's travel just sitting on it (I had been wondering why this supposed bigger travel bike felt like there really wasn't much going on in the rear end). I think I'm going to pick up a 400lb spring tommorrow if my LBS carries them. What do you guys think (esp. those of you w/ 7points)? I weigh about 190lbs.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Sinfield said:
So I bought a shock pump today and did some searching on the mtbr. forums for shock tuning tips for the bike. I also downloaded a couple of tuning guides and went home and played with it for a bit. Turns out the bike's fit with a 300lb spring. :( My fat ass sags the thing through about half of it's travel just sitting on it (I had been wondering why this supposed bigger travel bike felt like there really wasn't much going on in the rear end). I think I'm going to pick up a 400lb spring tommorrow if my LBS carries them. What do you guys think (esp. those of you w/ 7points)? I weigh about 190lbs.
350 would be a lot closer, or maybe even a 325. You'll want 1/3 sag, so measure the eye to eye when you're sitting on the bike, subtract from 9" (unsprung eye-to-eye), and then compare to 2.75" (the stroke of the shock). 1/3 of the 2.75" stroke is .9", so you're going to want the eye-to-eye when you're sitting on it to be approx 8.1" or so.

hope this helps!

TJ Downhill

Chimp
Oct 16, 2007
California
I think that the the 7point3 will be better, because i have one and i must say that it rides like no other. I actually have a friend who has the Bighit and he said that it is not the best quality. And like said before you can always throw on the rsBoxxers, fox40, or marzocchi888 for downhill.