Quantcast

Ironhorse Hollowpoint Questions

hammertime

Chimp
Jul 10, 2002
Indiana flat lander
Can't help but notice the value in the Hollowpoint. I have read the posts talking about the prototype and the 2002.5 model, etc. and think I want one. The problem is that I doubt I'll find a dealer carrying one near me, so I am not sure of sizing and I can't find the geometry on the various sizes. Can anyone help? I am 6'0", 175 lbs, 34" inseam, 68 cm reach.

Also, some of the posts talk about a 2003 model to replace the 2002.5 model that supergo is apparantly calling the 2003 model (more clearance on rear wheel and different shock). This is confusing as heck, is it true?

I am a midwestern rider, so mostly roots, babyheads, logs, some relatively short downhills, singletrack technical. Does the Hollowpoint seem like a fit for this (it has a bit more travel than I was planning on, I don't want a loose feel...I am coming from a 93' GT Zaskar).

Are the hydraulic brakes a pain to maintain?

Thanks

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
For sizing I can't help you specifically. Your best bet (assuming you definitely can't find a dealer) is to decide based on top-tube length. At your height, and inseam, I would guess you'd use a 23" - 23.5" toptube, but you should measure your zaskar (center of headtube to center of seatPOST, on a horizontal. If you're comfy with that length keep it. If you feel stretched, go .5" -.75" shorter. Cramped, go longer.

As for the bike itself, I haven't ridden it, and have only read what you have, but it was designed for exactly the type of riding you do. Originally it was a 4" bike, but it pedalled so well they were able to go to 5" of travel without affecting the pedalling.

Since the guy who designed it, AND the guy who specc'd it both roam this board, I'm sure you'll get some more exact answers soon enough.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
I too have been considering the Hollowpoint, if not for the spec-ed equip alone. Does anyone know what the complete bike weighs? I wonder if the advertised bike in the current supergo catalogue is the 5" travel model as well? What are other options as far as shock upgrade compatability? Only available in the red? I'm sure I should ask supergo these ?s, but hey, I trust :monkey: opinions more.

kiwirider

Chimp
Jul 5, 2002
I asked Todd at Iron Horse how much the Hollowpoint weighed and he said it was about 26lbs, with the Hustler being about 28lbs

hammertime

Chimp
Jul 10, 2002
Indiana flat lander
Talked with Ironhorse today and found out that the 2003 Hollowpoint will have a straight top tube since the shock is no longer mounted there. Anyone think this will have much effect other than looks and a slightly shorter tube?

They may also spec the 2003 Hollowpoint slightly different (no specifics).

Does a water bottle get in the way if mounted on the top tube of the Hollowpoint where the picture looks like it shows mounting nuts?

Does the extra support in the rear triangle make Hollowpoint frame heavier than others? I saw some posts about clearance of the rear tire, does it clean itself out pretty good in the mud or is it a pain in the butt with the limited clearance?

Man, this is killing me deciding to buy the Hollowpoint or wait for 2003s and look at what's coming out in the $1500 to $1800 price range. What to do? When you have a new baby and old car, it's hard to convince the Family to part with the bucks, so whatever I decide on I have to live with for at least 3 to 5 years. The deal at Supergo is really the killer part of the equation that sweetens the Hollowpoint. I wish I could ride the thing. I really liked the Specialized FSRxc Comp (Fox Forx rocks for rigidity and the bike feels light). Does anyone know if this Stumpjumper is lighter than the Hollowpoint? The Ironhorse guy (sorry did not scribe the name) told me the Hollowpoint in a medium was 27.8 pounds which conflicts with kiwirider's post via info from Todd.

So, is there any chance of matching the quality in the components of the Hollowpoint for $1500 to $1800 in 2003 bikes (in my neck of the woods mainly Giant, Specialized, Diamondback, Gary Fisher, Trek)??? The Rocky Mountain Element looks pretty sweet as well, but same deal, no shops rep this company in Indiana.

Geez this is long winded and kinda a monologue. Hope someone can make it through my delema and help get me onto a FS bike!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Originally posted by hammertime
Talked with Ironhorse today and found out that the 2003 Hollowpoint will have a straight top tube since the shock is no longer mounted there. Anyone think this will have much effect other than looks and a slightly shorter tube?
It might change the TT standover height (you'll have less) - but thats only a guess. Might also be slightly stiffer (another guess). Maybe Todd S. has the answers.

They may also spec the 2003 Hollowpoint slightly different (no specifics).

Does a water bottle get in the way if mounted on the top tube of the Hollowpoint where the picture looks like it shows mounting nuts?
Ironhorse will be switching to fox (rear talas is good bet, but I'm not sure about the front)

Not sure, I use my camelbak and never put a water bottle cage there. Its got tons of standover height though.

Does the extra support in the rear triangle make Hollowpoint frame heavier than others? I saw some posts about clearance of the rear tire, does it clean itself out pretty good in the mud or is it a pain in the butt with the limited clearance?
Extra support and more rigid frames are good - you don't want no noodle - its in the same range as other frames in its class.

No, I posted that picture. The top arch clearance on a tall 2.3 conti survival is great and the bottom is acceptable (they are probably going to improve that I think). The bottom wasn't not a problem in the mud but could be a problem with tires that large if your wheel is really out of true (but thats a problem in itself).

Man, this is killing me deciding to buy the Hollowpoint or wait for 2003s and look at what's coming out in the $1500 to $1800 price range. What to do? When you have a new baby and old car, it's hard to convince the Family to part with the bucks, so whatever I decide on I have to live with for at least 3 to 5 years. The deal at Supergo is really the killer part of the equation that sweetens the Hollowpoint. I wish I could ride the thing. I really liked the Specialized FSRxc Comp (Fox Forx rocks for rigidity and the bike feels light). Does anyone know if this Stumpjumper is lighter than the Hollowpoint? The Ironhorse guy (sorry did not scribe the name) told me the Hollowpoint in a medium was 27.8 pounds which conflicts with kiwirider's post via info from Todd.
I confirm the 27.8 weight - mine weighs between 27-28 lbs, but closer to 28 lbs (probably 28 lbs exactly with my slightly lighter wheelset, heavier time alium pedals, and addition of a rockring and chainguide). Thats the true weight, which is pretty light compared to other real weights of bikes in its class.

So, is there any chance of matching the quality in the components of the Hollowpoint for $1500 to $1800 in 2003 bikes (in my neck of the woods mainly Giant, Specialized, Diamondback, Gary Fisher, Trek)??? The Rocky Mountain Element looks pretty sweet as well, but same deal, no shops rep this company in Indiana.
I don't know about 2003, but none of those brands came close at the hollowpoint price level. Components are not the most convincing reason to get the bike, the frame is. It has the best rear suspension I've ever ridden (PeteNJ agrees and just got a frameset to replace his Ellsworth Truth).

That is the other option, frameset. If you know a good LBS (like mine), you can get the hollowpoint frameset w/fox float RL w/handlebar mounted lockout for $550.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
OK, here's the straight poop on the bike.

Supergo has the 2002.5's on their site currently labled as 2003s:rolleyes:. This probably has to do w/ some confusion over a discussion we had with them explaining that the suspension design is the same that we are using on the 2003 models.

For 2003, the bike will switch to a straight tt with a lot of slope. The geometry remains the same. Basically it will have close to the current standover clearance, just be lighter and not look like a banana :-)monkey:s do like bananas thought :D ). Other changes are more tire clearance (so you trail riding guys who like the big meat can roll 2.35's), a 125mm headtube w/ zerostack headset, bigger dt, and an extra h2o bottle mount. Oh yeah and we'll have a 15" for chicks and the vertically challenged (no I don't recommend the 15" for biker-x bike, freerider, hucker, urban assault, etc so please refrain from asking the Q.)

Expect to see the first production of this bike in 3 different configurations.

One at $1000 w/ mid to lowend part, one at $2000 w/ a Fox front and rear, Hayes hydros, ust wheels, and one at $3000 that is race geeked out. These models won't be seeing US shores until the fall so don't worry about getting a bike now and it being OTB in a week. We're talking 3-4 mos before the 03 Hollowpoint line is available.

-ska todd

hammertime

Chimp
Jul 10, 2002
Indiana flat lander
Thanks for the info. Any help on which size to choose in the 2002.5? Supergo has some geometry, but I'd feel more comfy if I could find it on Ironhorse's website. I can't ride it first, so some input from the pro's would be kicker! My Zaskar really lays me out with an effective reach (top tube 22.5"+stem) of about 28.5" and my seat is about 3" higher than the handlebars (18 " center to center seat tube). Problem is my right hand is falling asleep and I don't have much room to shift my weight back on steep downhills. I was thinking of shortening the effective reach to ~27" and having the bars a little more level with the seat. What do you think? And which Hollowpoint Medium or Large?

kiwirider

Chimp
Jul 5, 2002
One at $1000 w/ mid to lowend part, one at $2000 w/ a Fox front and rear, Hayes hydros, ust wheels, and one at $3000 that is race geeked out.
Will all three have the same frame as is the case with the Hustler and Hollowpoint?

Thank you

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Originally posted by kiwirider

Will all three have the same frame as is the case with the Hustler and Hollowpoint?

Thank you
Yes, they will all use the same frame.

-ska todd

Z

Zonic Man

man that ironhorse has a nice spec.

Damn if I wouldn't like that bike....except for the XO drivetrain (XTR), fork (fox), and cockpit (thomson/easton/wtb), cranks (Raceface NEXT LP), and wheelset (x3.1 to kings)....

But with the spec the way it is you can sell the parts off and almost get your money back to buy the other stuff......

Dropout

Chimp
Jul 15, 2002
I have a few questions about the hollowpoint I haven't seen answered as of yet.

Is the bike available as a frame only? If so, how much for the frame (2003 model)?

What is the weight of the frame (roughly, I know this changes with size, I would be looking at a large)?

Is the hollowpoints rear suspension active during breaking with V brakes? With discs?

How does one locate a Canadian dealer for Hollowpoint? On the web site I can only search for American dealers (unless I am blind, which is a possibility).

Thanks

kiwirider

Chimp
Jul 5, 2002
Yip, they are available as frame only. Todd advised me to ask at bicyclebuys.com, and they're selling them for $799 - 2003 apparently. Didn't say what weight though. I've seen in another post that Supergo.com may be able to get them but I asked and they said they couldn't.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Originally posted by kiwirider
Yip, they are available as frame only. Todd advised me to ask at bicyclebuys.com, and they're selling them for $799 - 2003 apparently. Didn't say what weight though. I've seen in another post that Supergo.com may be able to get them but I asked and they said they couldn't.
They couldn't be selling the 2003 yet, those aren't out yet. The 2002.5 are available, but those retail for $650 I think and some LBS sell them for $550. You could call them though and maybe they'll match one of these prices.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Originally posted by Dropout
I have a few questions about the hollowpoint I haven't seen answered as of yet.

Is the bike available as a frame only? If so, how much for the frame (2003 model)?

What is the weight of the frame (roughly, I know this changes with size, I would be looking at a large)?

Is the hollowpoints rear suspension active during breaking with V brakes? With discs?

How does one locate a Canadian dealer for Hollowpoint? On the web site I can only search for American dealers (unless I am blind, which is a possibility).

Thanks
I can help you with one of the questions-

the rear suspension is fully active under braking with either V-brakes or Discs

dw

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Originally posted by obiwan-f1moto

I can help you with one of the questions-

the rear suspension is fully active under braking with either V-brakes or Discs

dw
could it be different, or are braking force effects on the frame independent of whether you're putting force on the stays or the hub?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by narlus
could it be different, or are braking force effects on the frame independent of whether you're putting force on the stays or the hub?
Part of the force will always be acting at the hub/dropouts, and with the 1-piece rear triangle it doesn't matter if the force is acting at the disc mounts or at the (hypothetical) canti mounts. Or maybe this isn't what you're asking, and I just can't read. :D

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The welds on the two hollowpoints I've seen were excellent. I've also seen some of their cheaper single pivot frames and those looked good also. They are made in one of the top factories in Taiwan.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Originally posted by rbx
sydasti -do you know if the 2003 model will have full cartridge bearings in all the pivots?

Yes - the 2002 and 2002.5 version also have that feature. Most companies don't remove features as they improve their product:)

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Originally posted by narlus

Yup, the braking is the same with V's or Discs.

dw