Quantcast

Is a 40lb V10 possible? Yes sir.

HGR Frucci

Chimp
Feb 18, 2004
K12
I'll post up some pics when I get home from work, but I figured I'd start this thread now. Just got done building my new V10 (version 1 - not the new mono frame) last night and was really psyched to share how it came together and how light it was.

Bike has the following build:

Medium Gloss Gray V10 w/ Ti 5th Element
'04 Boxxer Team with Romic 65mm integrated stem crown
King Headset
SDG I-Beam Post and I Fly-C saddle
Hope Mono Mini Rear Brake (160mm) and Mono M4 Front (200mm)
Maxxm MX6 bar
WTB Laser Disc DH hoops on Hope Hubs
Truvativ Stylo Team 170 cranks
Truvativ Max Ti BB
e13 SRS EC guide with 40T e13 G-Ring
2.7 Minion DHF and 2.5 Highroller R
ODI Grips
Sram XO Derailluer/9.0 shifter, PC99 chain, and 970 12-26 cassette
Shimano 424 pedals

Total bike weight - 40.6 pounds (currently has Holzfellers. Stylos will drop .3 pounds). Now the bike won't be an excuse anymore!

Pictures coming at 5pm EST.

HGR Frucci

Chimp
Feb 18, 2004
K12
We figured it out, and the same parts build that went into my V10 put on a VP Free, would produce about a 36-37lb bike. Unfortunately, the availability on VP Free's is so tight, I took what I could get first.

Hopefully a couple of our guys will be on the new V10 by mid summer, but I'm going to hold out for a VP Free sometime this fall. For now, at 40lbs the V10 will do nicely!:D

Originally posted by HGR Frucci
We figured it out, and the same parts build that went into my V10 put on a VP Free, would produce about a 36-37lb bike. Unfortunately, the availability on VP Free's is so tight, I took what I could get first.

Hopefully a couple of our guys will be on the new V10 by mid summer, but I'm going to hold out for a VP Free sometime this fall. For now, at 40lbs the V10 will do nicely!:D
yea dood , i totally forgot to say...thats sweet 40 lbs V!o.....nice work!;)

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Originally posted by bibs
really I didnt even notice that...hmmm:think: he was in front of my in line....shows ya how much I pay attention...damn A.D.D. :D
You were to busy staring at his bum. How was whistler? You missed hiking up that fun hill.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
40lbs. for a V10 is really stinkin' light but I have to question the durability of some of those parts.

Hope Mono Mini Rear Brake (160mm) and Mono
*Too small and known to overheat on DH bikes.

Maxxm MX6 bar
*probably fine but why not go alloy for the extra few grams and safety.

Truvativ Stylo Team 170 cranks
*Lighter than old XTR, probably too light, might bend.

Truvativ Max Ti BB
*Detectable spindle flex, possible breakage, combined with Stylos might feel like a wet noodle under foot.

Add about 1.5-2lbs to your total weight and I think the durability would jump up quite a bit. A lot of racers run super light setups like this but they have access to new parts most every race and a factory wrench. I personally would have either bought a lighter frame (even if it meant waiting for the VP Free) or built up the V10 more in keeping with it's heavy duty origins. The frame is made to take a lickin' why not spec it to match? I am not trying to knock your bike for all I know you're a sponsored racer, or a really light weight, smooth rider? I really think it sounds sweet but if stuff breaks then the saved weight is hardly worth it IMHO...

Do you have any pics, I looooove that new gray color, my friend has Bullit like that. I think it is the ultimate sublime yet somehow flashy color option.

Originally posted by buildyourown
You were to busy staring at his bum. How was whistler? You missed hiking up that fun hill.
Whistler was killer, Ill be back up this weekend....the bike felt great!! and I was looking at this girl B1 rider, she was hanging with tall the pro guys...she was so hot!! and then at hte top she took her shiert off to put on her armour..I had never seen so many guys crash into each other from looking at her!@!!!!! she was fast as hell too!!

ok, sortry back to the V10 :D

HGR Frucci

Chimp
Feb 18, 2004
K12
40lbs. for a V10 is really stinkin' light but I have to question the durability of some of those parts.
Good points, but you kind of hit on the answer. I weigh 220lbs but am not very hard on parts. I put the most abuse on wheels.

Here's some justifications:

The Maxxm bars: I've used Easton Carbon DH for the last 2 seasons and totally love them. The Maxxm's have a better warranty and are a little lighter, so I decided to give them a shot. If I have any trouble, I'll go back to the Easton Carbon. The high frequency damping property of carbon bars really is awesome compared to aluminum too, and I don't think I'll ever go back.

Brakes: I brake more with the front, so the rear Mini didn't worry me so much. Plus, my new riding philosophy is to brake less. Period.

Cranks and BB: I agree with you to an extent. My "backup" cranks are Holzfellers and my backup BB is a Team SL (3 bearing Chromoly). The thought was - let's see what this light stuff does and what it can take. If it fails, it fails, and I'll switch. But if it works - then sweet. I've been running this setup on my mtx hardtail and really haven't noticed any problems yet.

As with most things, there's some give and take. I decided to "push" the durability issue a little in order to produce a bike that I thought would "race" better. As for the durability, I'm very confident in the parts I chose and that they'll at least make it through the first 2 Nationals.

After that, we'll see what happens!

And you're right - the color is SWEET. It almost matches my Boxxer, but is a shade darker...t-minus 1 hour to pictures.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Originally posted by Acadian
:stupid:
Yep, I am not talking about this guy's setup, but for myself,
and I think most racers that I know, durability is more important than almost anything. Practice is what makes you faster, and you can't do runs when your wheels are crushed, fork is twisted, BB snapped etc... I built my bike up a little too light.
Right now it is weighing in at 41 to 41.5 or so, and if I don't quit going through rims, it is about to get a little heavier.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Whistler was killer, Ill be back up this weekend....the bike felt great!! and I was looking at this girl B1 rider, she was hanging with tall the pro guys...she was so hot!! and then at hte top she took her shiert off to put on her armour..I had never seen so many guys crash into each other from looking at her!@!!!!! she was fast as hell too!!

Spell checker....look into it.

Hrelp

Chimp
Feb 23, 2004
Was she riding a norco? If so i think her names Barb?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Its a nice build, except for that bar, which has no place in DH.

You might even be able to go lighter in other places, but the result from a broken bar can be very drastic, as opposed to most everything else on the bike.

If my current azonic carbon fiber bar fails, I want to try a maxm next (on my trail bike), but I would never put that on my DH bike.

HGR Frucci

Chimp
Feb 18, 2004
K12
Weight of 40.6 is as as shown except with 424's installed. Pedals were removed to mount new crank arms...

Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep your opinions in mind - just wanted to show people that you can make a "heavier" bike light and still have it be capable.

If you look at it, it really doesn't look any different that any other V10. The changes to get the weight down were subtle in apearance, but made a difference when added up.

Sorry about the size of the pics. I couldn't get them smaller without losing the detail of the parts...

JF

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
That bike is dope. You don't see too many of those 'round these parts. Is the K-zoo DH course open to the public anytime? I really need to head out there one of these days. A2DH RIP.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
That is one purdy bike.:thumb: I gotta agree w/ everyone else about the bars, cranks, and bb, but it doesn't take away from the bike's appearance. That new gray color is ill-matic. May goose tah.

HGR Frucci

Chimp
Feb 18, 2004
K12
I guessI could live with the Holzfeller cranks and SL BB. As is, it weighs 40.6 with the Holzfellers and Ti BB, and the Team SL BB is only marginally heavier than the Ti.

As I mentioned earlier, I used the Easton Carbon DH for 2 years with no issues. I am hoping the durability of the Maxxms is similar. The bars are about 170g. An aluminum bar would add another 200g over the current bike weight, so even then I'd just hit 41 lbs...

Riding is fun, but so is putting stuff together.:D

Thanks for the compliments. The color is very cool in person.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I guessI could live with the Holzfeller cranks and SL BB. As is, it weighs 40.6 with the Holzfellers and Ti BB, and the Team SL BB is only marginally heavier than the Ti.

As I mentioned earlier, I used the Easton Carbon DH for 2 years with no issues. I am hoping the durability of the Maxxms is similar. The bars are about 170g. An aluminum bar would add another 200g over the current bike weight, so even then I'd just hit 41 lbs...

Riding is fun, but so is putting stuff together.:D

Thanks for the compliments. The color is very cool in person.
Maybe holzfellers, but it's not like you'll die if you loose a crankarm or bend one, it might not be pretty, but most likely it be a LOT prettier than a handlebar failure. Drill some holes in the E13 :D go with the Mojo Boxxer Cartridge to save some weight and get better performance as well! If you did mojo you could afford(structurally) to go with a little bit stronger bar and possibly cranks, although you could probably just run the cranks till they broke.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
I am hoping the durability of the Maxxms is similar. The bars are about 170g. An aluminum bar would add another 200g over the current bike weight, so even then I'd just hit 41 lbs...
nice ride. Not to needle you endlessly about your part spec but I got an EA70 bar that's 232g uncut; so that wouldn't add a significant amt of weight really.... Personally I'd take 60g over carbon handlebars...;)

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
I would trust the carbon bars. I will be getting some on my bike in the near future. I almost trust carbon more than light weight aluminum bars :confused: Just always check your bars and replace them often.

As for a TI BB... TI likes to suddenly fail with no warning. In the process leaving very sharp jagged edges.

The Stylo Team cranks I have them on my bike and it took one solid hit on the e.13 bashring for them to now be slightly bent.(damn z2 rock garden ;) )Not enough to replace but they are no longer straight. I am tipping the scales at 170lb.

PoserNewbie

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Lower Mainland, BC
I just saw the 05' V10 in Whistler this weekend...it looks like it might be really light!! Super T was riding one and a guy that works at Santa cruz , and the othe guy was riding a VP-free with a sweet new shock set up.....nice guys too!:)
I actually sat on Tyler's bike and the suspension does feel different from the 1st gen V10. His was a large and it felt pretty light with the 888. He said the bike rides more like a VP free than the old V10. Other than that, it looks like a pretty sweet ride.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
a nice build but as the others hav said I would question the Ti BB and the Carbon bars...if I'm not mistaken both of them are marketed toward the xc crowd...another thing "if" they do fail...what happens to you will NOT be pretty....I would just got with the Team SL Bb and some EA70 bars.

I raced a team SL BB all season last year and it held up fine...I'm about 190 and I wouldn't feel to safe with a 160mm rotor on the rear...there may be a time when you really need to haul on the stoppers and 160mm isn't going ot cut it.

Maybe try running a 2.5 front and a 2.35 rear...lots of people do it here and love it....JMO....D

HGR Frucci

Chimp
Feb 18, 2004
K12
Maybe holzfellers, but it's not like you'll die if you loose a crankarm or bend one, it might not be pretty, but most likely it be a LOT prettier than a handlebar failure. Drill some holes in the E13 go with the Mojo Boxxer Cartridge to save some weight and get better performance as well! If you did mojo you could afford(structurally) to go with a little bit stronger bar and possibly cranks, although you could probably just run the cranks till they broke.
Got you there - Already tried the Mojo...no weight savings whatsoever! Plus the ride quality was, shall I say, not what I was looking for.:rolleyes:

Somebody else here had an interesting comment:
if I'm not mistaken both of them are marketed toward the xc crowd
A good example of this is the old XTR. A ton of bikes came with those cranks, and they produced DH versions of the XTR as well. There was absolutetly no difference in the cranks, just the ring size. So people were using an XC designed product, just on the basis that it was marketed for DH. Don't buy the marketing hype! This stuff can handle a lot more than most people can dish out!:D

Also, 521's were my first choice until repeated purchasing problems forced me to consider other options. the WTB's ended up being on ly 70g heavvier for the pair, and they were wider, so I went with those.

Again - I'm not saying that my way was the right way...just sharing the love.

HGR Frucci

Chimp
Feb 18, 2004
K12
That bike is dope. You don't see too many of those 'round these parts. Is the K-zoo DH course open to the public anytime? I really need to head out there one of these days. A2DH RIP.
The park is under major construction and I believe its still closed to the public. I've been out there doing trail maintenance and we've had 2 races so far this season.

If you want to head over there, pm me and we can connect. I have 2 weeks to break this bike in before the US Open.:rolleyes:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Yeah, if you are gonna run a carbon bar, I would at least get a
DH version. FSA's DH carbon bar is twice as thick as that little Azonic carbon bar I have on my trail bike.
I think the FSA is around 230g in weight.
It feels great out on the trail as well.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Good Call!!!!

[/B]
Or get another Easton Monkeylite DH Carbon, That bar is really strong, although only a bit lighter than a Pro-taper or EA70. Like somebody said broken bars are not cool!

I want to paint my truck that gray color, it makes me wet!!!:eek:!!!

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
That thing is sweet man

Rotate your chainguide as far clockwise as you can, and also move your top slider down so that it is about 3mm from the top of your chain and your guide should be diled from what I can see.

Have fun!!

Dave

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Originally posted by Espen
Nice bike, but why dont you use a 180mm MMini??

e
It's not the size of that rotor that will hold it back, even with a larger rotor it will still overheat and fade. A larger rotor will help with fade a little but a DH brake would be best. He chose the mini for the weight , so I guess that's why he's not running a 180mm rotor. An M4 with a 6/8" rotor however would do the job fine...