Quantcast

Is any rotor too bent to bend back?

Feb 14, 2004
SoCal
Sorry I don't have any pics, my bike's in the shop getting bled, but I'll try and descibe what it's like right now...

Think of a little fold like 4 degrees and the rotor kinda goes side to side when you spin the wheel, but never more off true than ~4mm. My lbs says it's too bent to fix... what do you think? When I get my bike back, do you think I can just beat back into true with a rubber mallet against a flat surface?

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
Usually depends on how it's bent, most of the time I am able to bring my rotors back into pretty good shape by simply bending them in the right place with pliers etc ,however there are the odd ones that have an "S" shape or an irregular double bend in them that are much harder to get straightened out. Don't think a rubber mallet is going to get that last litttle bend out of a rotor but you can always try.

T0mo

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
nedtown, colorado
downhillzeypher said:
do you think I can just beat back into true with a rubber mallet against a flat surface?
Think about it this way, are you really going to hurt anything by trying? I think a rubber mallet might be too soft.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Buy a new rotor. Sharpen the edge of the old rotor. Throw at annoying cars while commuting.

What size rotor do you need? I have an 8 " hayes rotor you can have. Used but straight.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Tage Rauen
Chemistry A
3/9/05
Chromatography
Roller#5
Title: Chromatography lab

Objective: Conduct a chromatograohy experiment on water based ink.

Methods and Materials: First we prepared microwells with solutions of water, ethanol, and 1 part water 1 part ethanol as solvents. Then we placed the ends of our paper strips in the wells, and enclosed the well in a plastic bag.

Data:

Water:
Rf1: 1/14

Water/Ethanol:
Rf1: 1/13
Rf2: 7/13
Rf3: 9/13
Rf4: 11/13
Rf5:1

Ethanol:
Rf1: 1/9
Rf2: 6/9
Rf3: 1

Data analysis:

sorry,. thjis is my only file transfer facility!1

use a crescent wrench.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
That's not too bent to fix. It might be a major pain in the ass to do, though, and your money might be better spent on a new one. At a shop rate of say $50/hr it doesn't pay to have some dude spend 45 minutes trying to get a nasty S-bend out of the thing when you can get a new one for $30.

If the shop has the Morningstar rotor truing guage it's a relatively quick and simple job; the guage measures and can correct runout to .001" which is as true as a new one.

If you're going to do it yourself, a rubber mallet will be about as useful as a toenail clipper. Leave the thing on the bike, and take two small-ish adjustable wrenches (the kind with smooth jaws, NOT pliers, vise-grips, channellocks, etc) and bend it back, using the brake pads as a reference guide. You have to bend it pretty far in the opposite direction of the bend in order for it to work.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
my buddy booger bent his front rotor 45^ and took it back to the shop and bent it back straight. The front wheel wouldn't even move. It's been at least a year ago and I'm thinking he's still running that same rotor.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Like someone else mentioned, crescent wrenches work rather well. I've set up a dial indicator on a Park truing stand to verify the runout. Also, like CChase said, the stainless does have pretty significant spring back at the ~.080 thickness of the rotor, you'll figure it out pretty quick I'm sure.

Feb 14, 2004
SoCal
Ciaran said:
Buy a new rotor. Sharpen the edge of the old rotor. Throw at annoying cars while commuting.

What size rotor do you need? I have an 8 " hayes rotor you can have. Used but straight.
hell yeah dude... Are you gonna be at the southridge this weekend?

I guess I'm just gonna play with it once I get the bike back tonight... I swear my shop is gay... A couple months ago they told me it'd take a couple hours to swap my brake pads and I was like w/e, lemme try and if it really is that hard I'll let you do it, and frikken took like 5 minutes.

RIVERSIDE CYCLERY USA everyone, best place in the world if you need a 3 hour brake pad swap.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
CChase86 said:
The key with bending rotors back is that metal has a memory so you have to bend it back farther than it is bent (in the opposite direction).
DITO

But i have always wondered how they get bent in the first place. :think:

Feb 14, 2004
SoCal
Think paperclip... you bend it a little and it snaps back, you bend it a lot then it stays bent and you have to bend it even more than you did to bend it to get it back.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Yeah, but what bends them to begin with? I dont hit anything with them, and my calipers are even.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Yeah that little variation is definitely fixable. The shop sounds lame. Sometimes a shop won't want to do it because it's hard to get 'em perfect but still, it's not hard to get a rotor straight enough to pass through without rubbing. The morningstar drumstix work great, I've got some older chainring straighteners that work well too. If you don't have gauge, keep the wheel on the bike and use the brake as reference. When you spin the wheel try to see if the thing is bent near the braking track or lower, near the hub, and try to fix it where it's bent, you don't want to bend it anywhere else...I don't know anyone that has had luck fixing minor variations like that by trying to pound it flat...

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
mack said:
DITO

But i have always wondered how they get bent in the first place. :think:

Try crashing during a DH run and then it sort of depends on how the bike goes down and wether or not the rotor catches a rock etc.............

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
downhillzeypher said:
hell yeah dude... Are you gonna be at the southridge this weekend?
Not Saturday, but maybe sunday just to check it out. I am either working or riding (if I am lucky) on saturday. I will PM you if I am going so we can hook up there. I really should since other monkeys will be there too. Gotta meet some of y'all.

Alternately, if you are close I can meet you somewhere, I can mail it to you, or you can come pick it up. I am in Pasadena. I am going to shoot for going to Southridge though. I'll PM you and let you know.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
DIRTWRKS said:
Try crashing during a DH run and then it sort of depends on how the bike goes down and wether or not the rotor catches a rock etc.............
I never crash :D ... i wish

prerogative

Chimp
Aug 1, 2002
Danvers, MA
Above info works in most cases - wrenches and all, and I'd start with that. I found a good way to fine tune it to flat that worked good: Put on flat surface (glass or Al plate), and mark all high spots with sharpie. Do this on both sides. Place rotor on a soft wood board (plywood works), and on cement floor. Hit high spots (both sides) with hammer. Like stated above, you have to go beyond straight so it holds position, so don't be gentle. Repeat whole processes to get it right if needed.

I'm not sure it's really worth the time spent, but the satisfaction is great - who said you can't flatten this sucker.