Quantcast

is body armour necessary

tmoney727t

Monkey
Feb 22, 2005
Madison, CT
i am going to be racing DH this season and was wondering if body armour is necesary for DH, I have a full face and knee/shin pads, i just dont really want to drop teh extra coin for the vest. is the protection increase worth the money?

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Yes. I learned this last season. I have been going to the chiropractor and doing back strengthening excercises for over 6 months now and I am just starting to feel fully better. All of this could have been avoided if I had an armor vest.

tmoney727t

Monkey
Feb 22, 2005
Madison, CT
kidwoo said:
Nah. Drop the money on a $500 troy lee helmet instead.

Just go pin it a few times on your race courses.

If you need armor, the answer will present itself fairly bluntly and shouldn't be hard to misinterpret.

hmmm, interesting perspective.

Mar 1, 2005
I have had only two major crashes and if body armour was present a cracked sternum and a jacked up back would have been avoidable. Go to greenfish adventure sports they have cheap body armour.and invest in a moto helmet not some plastic piece of crap there way stronger.:hot:

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Heavey Hitter said:
I have had only two major crashes and if body armour was present a cracked sternum and a jacked up back would have been avoidable. Go to greenfish adventure sports they have cheap body armour.and invest in a moto helmet not some plastic piece of crap there way stronger.:hot:
Actually in low speed scrashes a bike specific helmet will protect you better. The truth is that unless you are very fast a moto helmet will not protect you any better.

h22ekhatch

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
Portland
This reminds me of Whistler last year. It was a long trip so when we got there we decided just to do a run or two then get some food and call it a night. Since it was gonna be quick we said screw the armor and just took our helmets...

So as you might guess, I am cruising down the trail and bam...all of a sudden my front wheel washes out in some sandy/soft dirt and I do about 4 cartwheels head over heels. The damage wasn't too bad except for a huge gash on my leg, a big chunk of meat out of my back, and both elbows looked like raw hamburger meat.

All of this of course while my $400 worth of body armor sit in the hotel room.

Moral of the story: **** happens. I was on a joy ride that night and crashed pretty good (I most likely wouldnt have had a scratch on me had I been wearing my pads)...the difference here is you are talking RACING. Racing = pushing it to the edge = chances of crashing go up exponentially.

Since money is an issue just get a 661 or something...

J_B

Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
In My '09 WRX STI
I was a non believer in body armor also. After hamburgern' my elbows/forearms several times(I'm seriously hard headed) and hearing of a guy who sliced his forearm all the way to the bone at the races last year, I decided to buy some upper armor. I still haven't ordered it but I will eventually(Ok, Monday!).

I still wear just knee pads and occasionally put knee/shins and no upper armor on for the local trails but for racing, upper body armor will be on this year.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
zedro said:
yah, i'm all for building character too. Scarless people are boring as s**t....
Before I achieved long term gainful employment, I had to answer that stupid question at the end of every freaking job interview once the mandatories were covered.

.........."so.....just out of curiosity........what's with all the scars?"

Rather than explain the concept of skateboarding I'd just get a kick out of saying something like "I've had a rough youth, I'd rather not discuss it at this time etc.".

Norm folks is pussies.:sneaky:

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
Interesting- the only armour that i own are knee pads (T-bones and the Fox neoprene ones), the same goes for the majority of the guys i ride with. I had an upperbody suit and i hated it- it was so hot and it felt awkward.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
bballe336 said:
Actually in low speed scrashes a bike specific helmet will protect you better. The truth is that unless you are very fast a moto helmet will not protect you any better.
Not to derail this thread, but that is a load of crap.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
klunky said:

some good quotes, and very true...this isnt MTB rag...

"Over the last 30 years," continues Newman, "we've come to the realization that people falling off motorcycles hardly ever, ever hit their head in the same place twice. So we have helmets that are designed to withstand two hits at the same site. But in doing so, we have severely, severely compromised their ability to take one hit and absorb energy properly.

"The consequence is, when you have one hit at one site in an accident situation, two things happen: One, you don't fully utilize the energy-absorbing material that's available. And two, you generate higher G loading on the head than you need to. "What's happened to Snell over the years is that in order to make what's perceived as a better helmet, they kept raising the impact energy. What they should have been doing, in my view, is lowering the allowable G force.

(...)

"The Snell sticker," continued Newman, "has become a marketing gimmick. By spending 60 cents [paid to the Snell foundation], a manufacturer puts that sticker in his helmet and he can increase the price by $30 or $40. Or even $60 or $100.....And in spite of the very best intentions of everybody at Snell, they did not have the field data [on actual accidents] that we have now [when they devised the standard]. And although that data has been around a long time, they have chosen, at this point, not to take it into consideration."

(...)

Dr. Hurt sees the Snell standard in pretty much the same light.

"What should the [G] limit on helmets be? Just as helmet designs should be rounder, smoother and safer, they should also be softer, softer, softer. Because people are wearing these so-called high-performance helmets and are getting diffused [brain] injuries ... well, they're screwed up for life. Taking 300 Gs is not a safe thing.

"We've got people that we've replicated helmet [impacts] on that took 250, 230 Gs [in their accidents]. And they've got a diffuse injury they're not gonna get rid of. The helmet has a good whack on it, but so what? If they'd had a softer helmet they'd have been better off."

aggrorider

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
mtnbrider said:
Definately. If you don't want to spend $300+ on dainese, just get a rockgarden flak jacket. You can find them for under $200.
183 bux! best investment I have ever made. saved me from a huge medical bill.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
ThePriceSeliger said:
Yeah, then whats the point of a MotoX helmet in the first place. Basically you said it sucks.
No I didn't. I was merely commenting at the fact that people believe that MTB helmets protect better than moto helmets. Or was that quote intended for bballe?

And so that we don’t lose track of the bigger picture, I’ll be the first on to say it: any helmet is better than no helmet.

That being said, my rant begins:

A moto helmet is much better for you to be wearing in a crash, period. Snell is kind of dumb - everyone knows that. If you want a good helmet, get one with the EPS liner. Moto helmets typically have this, not MTB ones (they have styrofoam-esq liners), and don't be afraid to spend $200-300 to get it. It is going to be saving your life - don't skimp.

Your brain basically floats inside your skull, within a bath of cervical-spinal fluid and a protective cocoon called the dura. But when your skull stops suddenly—as it does when it hits something hard—the brain keeps going, as Sir Isaac Newton predicted. Then it has its own collision with the inside of the skull. If that collision is too severe, the brain can sustain any number of injuries, from shearing of the brain tissue to bleeding in the brain, or between the brain and the dura, or between the dura and the skull.
I hit my head two summers ago hard enough to get my brain to rotate forward and down - it sheared most of my olfactory nerves in my nose (can't smell out of my left nostril) and pinched my optic nerve in my left eye (can't see anything out of my left eye anymore). I also had a displacement fracture through my sphenoid sinus which left me leaking CSF for 2 weeks, making my brain rest directly on my skull until the patched the crack with fat they took from my stomach. It sucks. Seeing as how I still wanted to ride my bike, in order to avoid any sort of injury like this again (I like my sense of vision and smell, be it though, they are impaired), I asked my docs (by the way, I'd like to point out here that they are doctors of medicine, not doctors of philosophy, like the quoted rocket scientist Dr. Newman) what type of protection I should use when riding my bike from not on. They all said (Couple ENT guys (one who rides MX), an ophthalmologist, an orthopedic surgeon, an oral surgeon, and a neurologist - she was the most adamant about this point as she has seen the most head traumas in her time) that I should get eye protection and DOT approved, full-face helmet. Notice that for the most part (Ortho excluded here) they are all, in one form or another, doctors who primarily work on the head and have probably seen a lot more injuries that I care to imagine. When I crashed at a race last summer and knocked myself out, the doctors told me two things: get a new hemlet, and make sure that new hemlet is a moto helmet.

MX helmets provide more protection for your head, end of story. You have to make sure that you buy a good one. I'd also rather have a shell on it that would be able to take a good impact and disperse it over a larger area of that EPS foam. A MTB helmet will probably protect you just fine if all you do is ride on soft, wet dirt with no roots or rocks around, or if you’re not planning on riding hardcore DH and freeride stuff all the time. Personally, I’d rather have more protection.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The 1st step is to just get people to wear fullface helmets. There are so many people that still dont. Then step 2 is DOT approved.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
sayndesyn said:
Only Australians are allowed to not wear armor. I think it is in the UCI rule book somewhere. The new cool thing is no gloves because shredding your palm is more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

No gloves used to take place only in the mud (in order to feel through slippery mud on grips etc), not it seems the new kids are too cool for armour, gloves, full face helmets etc.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
sayndesyn said:
Only Australians are allowed to not wear armor. I think it is in the UCI rule book somewhere. The new cool thing is no gloves because shredding your palm is more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

Just race naked with no shoes. That would be really fun. And you have to run Syncros Mental pedals too. Shinburgers would be ok in Sport class and lower. ;)

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
A DH-specific helmet will be more protective in one low-speed crash because the foam will compress more than in a MX helmet, but when you factor in multiple hard crashes, a MX helmet handles multiple impacts much better. That being said, I still run a DH helmet.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
Bicyclist said:
A DH-specific helmet will be more protective in one low-speed crash because the foam will compress more than in a MX helmet, but when you factor in multiple hard crashes, a MX helmet handles multiple impacts much better. That being said, I still run a DH helmet.
Not to nit-pick too much, but it really just depends on the individual helmet, don't you think? And to pick further :-)D), if it is a low speed impact, probably just having something between your head and the rock/tree/car/dinosaur/trail/whatever is going to be enough to protect you from any serious injury.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Radarr said:
Not to nit-pick too much, but it really just depends on the individual helmet, don't you think? And to pick further :-)D), if it is a low speed impact, probably just having something between your head and the rock/tree/car/dinosaur/trail/whatever is going to be enough to protect you from any serious injury.

Not really. The DOT or Snell standard outlines requirements the helmet must make. The requirements for DH are a little different than those for riding a motorcycle on the road (which is what these standards are for).

I agree that anything will help protect you from serious injury at low speeds.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
Bicyclist said:
Not really. The DOT or Snell standard outlines requirements the helmet must make. The requirements for DH are a little different than those for riding a motorcycle on the road (which is what these standards are for).

I agree that anything will help protect you from serious injury at low speeds.
I was referring more to the difference between individual helmet brands, not so much the difference between Moto-approved v. non-approved. For example, a Prime full face helmet compared to an O'Neal MX helmet. The Prime will compress the foam if you look at it wrong, whereas the O'Neal won't.

Is there a requirement/standard DH helmet rating system?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Radarr said:
I was referring more to the difference between individual helmet brands, not so much the difference between Moto-approved v. non-approved. For example, a Prime full face helmet compared to an O'Neal MX helmet. The Prime will compress the foam if you look at it wrong, whereas the O'Neal won't.

Is there a requirement/standard DH helmet rating system?
Companies have to meet a standard to call it a bike helmet but it's a pretty easy test to pass.

I saw Giro testing their helmets and even the base-model helmets passed the test after multiple impacts when they're only required to sustain 1 and then do decent after the 2nd (if I remember correctly).

roberts

Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
It has saved me from countless serious injuries.

Saving one trip to the hospital more than pays the extra cost. Ilearned that the hard way.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
At a local slalom track that I've ridden countless times I randomly stacked pretty hard and landed on my head. Luckily for me I had decided to put on my 661 MX helmet which probably helped me a lot, my head would have been hurting a lot more if I only had my skate lid on. I also had declined to use my knee/shin pads and ended up with a purple and bloody knee.

Basically, **** happens. If it's your brain, $300 for a MX helmet is a bargain compared to head injuries. Same thing for pads especially if you're dealing with rocks.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...my first time racing at the U.S. Open, I thought I had it down, until I underestimated how much speed I was carrying into the chute/rock garden section, nosed the second outcropping, and got thrown off my rig and onto my back across a few rocks.

If it weren't for my Dainese suit w/ the spine protector, I definitely would've gotten fu@ked up...

greg447

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
new hampshire
Yes, body armour is an essential, now the whole mx vs. mtb helmets, w/e man just wear a lid its better than hitting something without anything on, also the 661 pressure suits are nice, the rock gardn are better, and i have a dainese suit and a rockgardn and i dont feel any significant difference, dainese might look a little better but if you look around mostly rich littel kids and people sponsored by dainese are the only people wearing them..but go with what feels better for you man.