Quantcast

Is Brooklyn, NY safe?

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
I will be going to Brooklyn, NY next week for work and need to find a hotel. Where would be a good place to stay? Right now I'm leaning towards taking the train down and using the subways and/or taxis to get around instead of driving down. I've never been to that area but I heard it isn't safe. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the only time i've ever been close to where you are going was last year, to see a free Sonic Youth show @ Prospect Park. It was awesome. that's all i got.

we stayed @ the nuhotel, which is too far from where you will be to be of help.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Brooklyn covers a wide range of neighborhoods. If you stick to nicer areas it's fine. It's just like any other place. If it looks ****ty, it probably is ****ty. Just don't be alone in a ****ty looking area.

That said, I lived in Bushwick for a while. It's supposedly kind of bad, but all I saw was a lot of hispanic families. Only place I ever had a problem was in a nicer part of Williamsburg. Some little twaht pulled a knife on me. Yelled at him for being stupid and gave him a $20. Everything went better than expected.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
I wouldn't call that area unsafe. Boring, maybe. But not unsafe. There aren't really a plethora of hotels directly in that area either, unless you like paying an hourly rate. There are a couple of hotels (Holiday Inn Express, Super H8) a little further west around 4th and 3rd aves, but it doesn't make mass transit super convenient because you be riding a combo of subways and buses to get there. But definitely eat at The Farm on Adderly, you'll be near that.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
If anyone asks, you're in the Jets. Snap your fingers a lot. Walk, run, but never skip and you'll be fine... Jazz hands stuns them long enough to get a headstart. Never touch anyone unless the subways really crowded, then you can do whatever you want.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Is that place close to where you will work? As Fool said not the best place for subway connections. I always use Hotwire for hotel bookings in NYC.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I hope you are kidding.

Brooklyn neighborhoods vary, but just be careful. Frankly, don't look like a tourist or a hick, and if you don't know what I mean, think twice about going there.

Fool

Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Is that place close to where you will work? As Fool said not the best place for subway connections. I always use Hotwire for hotel bookings in NYC.
What are you doing booking hotels around NYC, you tryst-having SOB!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
This is like asking if Oakland is safe. The answer is a potential "fvck no" if you go wandering around in the wrong direction.

This is what gentrification is for. Use it to your advantage.

Fool

Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
BTW -

Avoid this place like the fvcking plague. Nice rooms but the people that work there are cock-gobbling child rapists. That's as nice as I can put it.

http://www.hotellebleu.com/
I pointed and laughed when that place went up. Then it was followed by 10,006 ****hole "luxury condos" @ $1,000 per sq. ft. Stupid whitey.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I pointed and laughed when that place went up. Then it was followed by 10,006 ****hole "luxury condos" @ $1,000 per sq. ft. Stupid whitey.
We played the Brooklyn Masonic Temple some years ago and for reasons unknown, that's where we stayed. (Priceline disaster?)

The rooms were fine but the dude behind the desk in the wee hours after the gig was a raging prick. We were exhausted and he held us in the lobby forever going over each of our ID's and credit cards even though we had checked in 12 hours before. We were very close to dragging him out to the parking lot and cooking him over a fire.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Just like Fool I live close to this wonderful hotel. Always wondered who would stay there I guess now I know :)
:thumb:

Last time I was out there it was a Days Inn in Jersey. Way more my style...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I think boutique Hotels generally equates to "Run by people who have no business in the hotel business" If you want an excellent hotel in NY one needs only to call the Roosevelt Hotel. They will be the benchmark for all other hotels you will ever stay at. Perfect location...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

Fool

Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Wow, really? Ok, maybe you should just stay home. Clearly it's far too dangerous here.