Quantcast

Is everyone else as stoked for this WC season as I am?

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
All the team drama aside been following Sam's Instagram feed and looks like he's fit and healthy and been killing it at all the Aussie races. Granted his competition isn't the strongest there but I think he's hungry enough to get back up top that its going to make the year really interesting.

I doubt there's time left to really put the hurts on guys if he gets back to his Val do sole pace but he can hopefully move some podium **** around.

4gnegative

Chimp
Sep 10, 2010
Orange Curtain
All the team drama aside been following Sam's Instagram feed and looks like he's fit and healthy and been killing it at all the Aussie races. Granted his competition isn't the strongest there but I think he's hungry enough to get back up top that its going to make the year really interesting.
Sam is coming on strong, but he does have some stiff comp down under. In the national race he came in 3rd behind graves and hannah. There was also kovarik and brosnan nipping at his heals. WC should be good this year. UCI get a sponsor to replace rocky roads yet?

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I thought Chain Reaction would be quick to throw something together to get sponsorship of the WC this year. They have the money and seemingly have the desire to get a larger coverage for their brand.

Really excited to see who can be a threat this year.

Big threats/contenders for the overall (as far as I'm concerned) :

Gwin
Minnaar
Gee

Capable of WC wins but probably not the overall:

Smith
Bulldog
Hart
Hill
Brosnan

Capable of a win, but a wildcard:

Peat
Fairclough
Beaumont
Blenki
Bryceland
Hannah
Bruni
Beer

People I want to see getting lose and wild, but not really a threat:

Bernard Kerr
needles
Gracia
Warren
Wyn

there are definitely others but they're the guys I'm excited to watch

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
Sam is coming on strong, but he does have some stiff comp down under. In the national race he came in 3rd behind graves and hannah. There was also kovarik and brosnan nipping at his heals. WC should be good this year. UCI get a sponsor to replace rocky roads yet?
But being really honest, when looking at a larger WC picture Troy is the only serious threat. Mick/Jared and Kovarik are fast as **** but not top 5 consistent threats.

But no doubt Sam is riding fast again so lets hope for some serious competition.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Every year there is someone we never suspected of top 5 results so I won't be making predictions yet.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
George Brannigan
That was last year but yeah, him, Smith, Brosnan and Bruni can be contenders this season. I'm also curious about Hart. He is inconsistent but he had some great results on pedally tracks last year. Fitness + his own brand of madness is dangerous.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
World Cup should be at least 10 races. No hard statistical facts to back that up but that feels like a good number, 5 is just ridiculous, imo. but yeah, stoked for some high level racing on world caliber courses for sure!

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
World Cup should be at least 10 races. No hard statistical facts to back that up but that feels like a good number, 5 is just ridiculous, imo. but yeah, stoked for some high level racing on world caliber courses for sure!
This.....I'd find it more interesting and more exciting to follow if there were more races, One a month, or one every three weeks, or something would be more interesting, there are plenty of suitable ski resorts, mountains, hills, and shuttle - able hill sides worlwide to accomadate an almost year round season (you always need some sort of offseason)

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
Seconded on the no. of races. 5 is not enough. 8 should be the least, up to a dozen would be even better. It costs more $ for the teams but in the end its more exposure for the sponsors and a lot of experience for the riders. But anyway, I cant wait for Ft. Bill to get under way! I do feel Sam Hill has his eyes on the top step, but its not gonna be easy. Stoked.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The problem with the number of races is that it's a bidding process, and the venues themselves have to put up a LOT of money to host a world cup race. If they don't think they will get a good ROI, they aren't going to bid to host an event.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
I also think 5 is definitely not enough races. Most of the racers also agree. Its a shame because guys like Gwin can't show his true consistency and domination and also because other racers are losing their opportunity to win a race. Not to mention, all of us die hard World Cup fans want to see more action! The UCI really ****ing sucks, and have never cared about our obscure sector of cycling. There will never be more than 10 races in a season as long as the UCI is at the helm of the most prestigious downhill series. I mean comon, if you were to total up the final's time of all 5 races, the season is going to be decided on less than 20 minutes of riding. Its comical.

Nonetheless, I'm as excited as ever for the season to begin. Maybe having such a limited number of races adds to the excitement and prestige.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
if the series was 10 races long there would be a massive drop off of support that teams could show riders.

Flying, riders, bikes, mechanics etc around the world costs a fortune, if the series was longer then you'd see a lot of teams only doing select races.

I'd love a longer season, but money, injuries, hassle and fatigue make it hard to have anything over about 7 stops I reckon.

Plus, with less stops on the WC circuit there's more chance of riders competing in one off races and events which are normally good fun to watch

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
if the series was 10 races long there would be a massive drop off of support that teams could show riders.

Flying, riders, bikes, mechanics etc around the world costs a fortune, if the series was longer then you'd see a lot of teams only doing select races.

I'd love a longer season, but money, injuries, hassle and fatigue make it hard to have anything over about 7 stops I reckon.

Plus, with less stops on the WC circuit there's more chance of riders competing in one off races and events which are normally good fun to watch
If the dates were planned better it wouldn't be that much of a problem. If you had a few close venues in close dates not like it is now where it is often quite randumb.

Last edited:

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Racers attend alot more than just the 5/6/7 World Cup races during a season. And they aren't doing it with their personal life savings(generally speaking of the faster guys who are on bigger teams with bigger budgets etc). I don't think teams would have a problem attending 10 races during a season. Some of the little guys might not make it, privateers and such, but I believe the fastest guys that we all love watching these races for would definitely be able to make it. It is possible to have several races in a row that are close enough to each other that teams drive there, rather than fly. Much like when Mt. St. Anne and Windham were back to back. This wouldn't be difficult.

As far as the amount of races, top level motocross/supercross racing has much much more races in a season. In a sport that sees even more risk, even more speed, more competition, and much much longer races. And, they have TWO seasons in one year. They will be racing 12 outdoor mx races this season, which consist of several long, grueling motos, and 17 SX races. For a total of 29 races. Now I know they don't fly by trees and other immobile objects, but it is definitely just as dangerous if not more. I don't think our top level athletes would have a real problem of staying healthy for 10 races.

I do tend to agree that they would attend less one-off races such as Crankworx, Sea Otter, etc, which would be a bit of a bummer. Kind of a double edged sword. One thing that I do not like about top level motocross racers is that you don't often see them doing things like X-Games Supercross, Best Whip, just mucking about freeriding, or anything like that. Mountain biking, downhill specifically, has a bit of a free spirit. It never takes itself too seriously and knows that everyone is here first and foremost to have fun. I seriously doubt Ricky Carmichael or Jeremy McGrath ever chugged a beer before their main.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Racers attend alot more than just the 5/6/7 World Cup races during a season. And they aren't doing it with their personal life savings(generally speaking of the faster guys who are on bigger teams with bigger budgets etc). I don't think teams would have a problem attending 10 races during a season. Some of the little guys might not make it, privateers and such, but I believe the fastest guys that we all love watching these races for would definitely be able to make it. It is possible to have several races in a row that are close enough to each other that teams drive there, rather than fly. Much like when Mt. St. Anne and Windham were back to back. This wouldn't be difficult.
... except for the fact that the UCI charges an arm and a leg to host a world cup. one of the big problems now is how much $$$ the venues / promoters / organizers have to pony up to the UCI just to have rights to host the race. this amount doesn't include all the money it takes to actually put on the event.

there aren't 5 races this year because the UCI wanted a short schedule, there are 5 races because only 5 venues were willing to put up the $$$ to host world cup dh races and met the UCI "requirements"

As far as the amount of races, top level motocross/supercross racing has much much more races in a season. In a sport that sees even more risk, even more speed, more competition, and much much longer races. ...
... and much bigger budgets, and much better sponsorship money, and much better media coverage.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
... except for the fact that the UCI charges an arm and a leg to host a world cup. one of the big problems now is how much $$$ the venues / promoters / organizers have to pony up to the UCI just to have rights to host the race. this amount doesn't include all the money it takes to actually put on the event.

there aren't 5 races this year because the UCI wanted a short schedule, there are 5 races because only 5 venues were willing to put up the $$$ to host world cup dh races and met the UCI "requirements"

... and much bigger budgets, and much better sponsorship money, and much better media coverage.

I didn't take into account the money venues have to put up for the rights to host. I didn't realize it was such a big expense, that's unfortunate! And yes you are definitely correct about the bigger budgets and better coverage etc etc. The fan base is also bigger I would imagine.

I don't foresee a paradigm shift in high level downhill racing any time soon, at least not in the form of a longer race season or anything like that. UCI needs to dissolve for something like that to happen, or a whole new racing series that is seen to be a more premier series than the World Cups. Neither likely to happen.

I'm ready for the season to start already!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I didn't take into account the money venues have to put up for the rights to host. I didn't realize it was such a big expense, that's unfortunate! And yes you are definitely correct about the bigger budgets and better coverage etc etc. The fan base is also bigger I would imagine.

I don't foresee a paradigm shift in high level downhill racing any time soon, at least not in the form of a longer race season or anything like that. UCI needs to dissolve for something like that to happen, or a whole new racing series that is seen to be a more premier series than the World Cups. Neither likely to happen.

I'm ready for the season to start already!
i hate to be a buzzkill about it, but the reality is the money just isn't quite there, and the UCI fees are exorbitant. It's pretty bogus. That being said, funding for teams is better now than is has been in quite some time. Coverage is getting better, despite not having as many races - courtesy of RBMH.

Regarding the UCI, not sure how closely you've been paying attention about the whole lance armstrong / tailwind sports debacle, but that's far from bottomed out. Ripple's from the repercussions of that fiasco will likely be felt in the MTB world (inc DH) at some point starting in the next few years.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
i hate to be a buzzkill about it, but the reality is the money just isn't quite there, and the UCI fees are exorbitant. It's pretty bogus. That being said, funding for teams is better now than is has been in quite some time. Coverage is getting better, despite not having as many races - courtesy of RBMH.

Regarding the UCI, not sure how closely you've been paying attention about the whole lance armstrong / tailwind sports debacle, but that's far from bottomed out. Ripple's from the repercussions of that fiasco will likely be felt in the MTB world (inc DH) at some point starting in the next few years.
I agree the support is generally trending upwards at the moment. Big bike mountain biking is becoming more popular as a whole and in turn the money being tossed around is growing. Support on the racing side is still nothing compared to the days when Specialized had Palmer on a $750,000 salary.

I have not been following very closely, but I have gotten the general impression that it will effect all of us in some way. Can you elaborate briefly? Or have a link I can get some more insight from

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
5 world cups is very weak!

I am still stoked to see Gwinn stomp the world again! How can you not after all poor USA showings for many years.
the race will be for 2nd,3rd, and fourth.
To cheer on Rude and the other riders from the states will be awesome!!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have not been following very closely, but I have gotten the general impression that it will effect all of us in some way. Can you elaborate briefly? Or have a link I can get some more insight from
basically their will probably be a shakeup with the UCI and fines (best educated guess). Pat McQuaid (current UCI president) still seems to think he can weasal his way out of this.

Now that the US DOJ (dept of justice) is joining the whistleblower case (initiated by landis) against tailwind sports (of which lancestrong is a main shareholder) for defrauding the US gov't (via sponsorship money provided by the USPS; their contract stipulated very clearly no doping of any sorts. clearly that was not followed), a lot non-racers will probably get snagged in the aftermath. It will be interesting to see if any of the pharmaceutical companies that provided the then-unapproved drugs (violates FDA regulations) will get fined.

Here's a pretty good (but large and confusing) map of how lance armstrong and tailwind sports are connected to various corporate sponsors, many of which are believed to have had a hand in helping the team cheat:

http://dimspace.co.uk/la/ArmstrongBusinessConnections1707.png

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
basically their will probably be a shakeup with the UCI and fines (best educated guess). Pat McQuaid (current UCI president) still seems to think he can weasal his way out of this.
Sh!t man, not even in the DH forum you can get away of the UCI/Lance doping bullsh!t. :(

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Yes I'm stoked and yes I'd like to see more races.

One thing to keep in mind is that if there are more races, there will actually be MORE privateers. Many privateers are unable to spend the time or money to get to the races, especially when they are far away. But if there are more races, more locals can get in the mix, even if it's just one race. I love seeing the dynamic between locals (who have talent and know every root and rock) and the top guys (who have more talent but don't know the course as well).

But yeah lots of challenges.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
From what I remember, Tailwind Sports is way bigger than Lance. Their name isn't immeditaely recognizable, but virtually all of their ventures are.

Anyway, this season would be frustrating as heck trying to prep for the World Cup if you're a racer. Trying to ramp up for a season that far off, avoid injury and stay sharp without overtraining can't be exciting. Must mean the teams are all scrambling to land their top tier riders in high exposure events elsewhere this year.

Speaking of which, what else falls into the top tier of exposure for a World Cup racer when he's lost over 15% of his race schedule?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
i'm far more excited to ride the piss out of my bike this summer. it should be interesting anyways between sam and erngwern
I heard that guy greg minnaar, the one who's gotten 1st or 2nd overall in the past 4-5 seasons and just won world champs is pretty quick too.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yeah, I'm sure somebody is going to win every race. I just don't care that much about the WC as other people. I think it'll be interested to see Sam perform on a new team, and ergnern on a new bike. Otherwise, fast people are probably going to win, one of the athertons will probably get hurt, and cedric will still be the most stylish.

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
Standings from last year:
42236 DHI ME Standings

1. gwin
2. Minaar
3. Gee
4. Stevie- I see him edging out Gee this year "^" means moving on up!
5. Hill- I don't think we'll see him in the top 5 next year...
6. Bryceland ^
7. McDonald ^
8. Hart ^
9. Hannah
10. Brannigan ^

Guys not in top 10 overall last year, who I think will end up there this year:

Loic Bruni, Troy Brosnan (if he doesn't break like a feather). I am siked on Spagnolo and Nick Beer, would love to see them up there, dunno if it will happen.

Last edited:

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
Is Rude still gonna be Jr. this yr? And I do agree on some points, I think Smith, Hart, and possibly Bryceland will get top spots in some of the races. World champs in RSA Im gonna say Gwin. Or Minnaar. Again :D

BigBoi

Monkey
Oct 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
So stoked that I often sit on my bike in the living room, making braaaaaapppppp sounds while watching the TV.
My dog looks at me like, WTF?
And I'm all bouncing up and down and stuff, making sure my suspension is still buttery smooth even though it hasn't left the house in awhile.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
1. gwin
2. Minaar
3. Gee
Consistency-wise nobody came close to those 3 in the last couple of seasons. And they surely will deliver next season. I can see some newcomers popping through here and there but the overall will be taken by by gwin, greg or gee.

Last edited: