Quantcast

Is green Park grease bad for e.thirteen bash guards?

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
I've always greased the outside of my chainring bolts to prevent creaking, but the thought just occurred to me that e.thirteen bash guards are somewhat sensitive to various greases and lubes. Is this a potential problem for me and my bashguards?

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I think its probably fine...grease should be okay. I don't grease mine, and they don't creak. I did pack a bunch of grease into the roller bearng though the other night.

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
Some greases cause plastics to swell, like Phil grease on U-turn internals. In your case, I think you're okay. If I'm not mistaken, polycarbonate in fairly resistant to chemicals. After all, it would get doused with all different kinds of chain lube and I'm sure DW would have thought of that. Next time you think of it, check the area for swelling, though.

J

JRB

Enginerd A2 said:
Some greases cause plastics to swell, like Phil grease on U-turn internals. In your case, I think you're okay. If I'm not mistaken, polycarbonate in fairly resistant to chemicals. After all, it would get doused with all different kinds of chain lube and I'm sure DW would have thought of that. Next time you think of it, check the area for swelling, though.
There's a thread on here somewhere saying that there are 2 chain lubes that play hell on e13 bash guards.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
The PC probably will not swell. However, most polycarbonates will suffer from environmental stress cracking when exposed to lubricants. The PC may appear unaffected by exposure to the chemical. However, the same chemical may cause catastrophic failure when the PC is stressed. Of course, E13 uses a proprietary blend of PC that may have additives to prevent this. You should email Jonas (sp?) to be sure.

I have never needed to use grease on chainring bolts. I could see using it on the threads if your concerned with seizing. In my experience, Truvativ cranks with E13 bashguards and E13 rings work great without grease and do not creak.

Jonas

Monkey
Feb 11, 2004
East Coast Represent!
The Park grease should be fine. Just try to apply it to the inside of the nut, though, as applying grease to the external threads of the bolt will allow the grease to pile up on the outside of the bolt as you thread it in. Just stay away from mineral spirit based lubes and grease like Prolink ProGold and Boeshield T-9 (both great lubes, though) when using our guides.