Quantcast

Is Interbike for riders?

MadDHer

Monkey
Mar 8, 2006
Being a racer myself I thought about going to Interbike, but what can riders do at Interbike besides signing contracts?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
You made the right choice. There isn't much to do except schmooze with already exhausted and annoyed marketing guys. If you already have decent contacts, there isn't much point unless, like you said, you have some big contracts to sign in person.

Wait until Next tuesday or wednesday and start calling and emailing. They seriously don't want to deal with it this week in my experience.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
If you are into many different styles of riding, like geeking out on new bike technology, and haven't been to IB many times before, there is a lot for you at the convention.

If you are a jaded veteran living in one niche of the industry, like some people around here, not so much.

:bonk:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
If you are into many different styles of riding, like geeking out on new bike technology, and haven't been to IB many times before, there is a lot for you at the convention.

If you are a jaded veteran living in one niche of the industry, like some people around here, not so much.

:bonk:
Funny. I've raced road, Downhill, XC and BMX. I also have many of them in those areas as clients.

I've never found interbike to be interesting besides one or 2 "secret" product launches. Only, that doesn't happen anymore as everyone leaks their stuff weeks in advance of Eurobike.

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
what about the free beer and pizza and marketing chiks in not so much clothes?....oh wait...i get that at my unis students parties. seriously...went to eurobike this year and all i got was beer and pizza and a couple of good contacts. everything else i saw there i allready had seen on the internets.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Funny. I've raced road, Downhill, XC and BMX. I also have many of them in those areas as clients.

I've never found interbike to be interesting besides one or 2 "secret" product launches. Only, that doesn't happen anymore as everyone leaks their stuff weeks in advance of Eurobike.
You've made your opinion of IB very clear, and you're entitled to it. I just wanted to give another perspective. For people who have never been and have no real agenda other than to geek out and hang with like-minded friends, it can be a blast. That may not be serious enough for you but it works for me. I agree with some of the negative things you've said about it - it probably doesn't need to exist - but that was not the question.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
You've made your opinion of IB very clear, and you're entitled to it. I just wanted to give another perspective. For people who have never been and have no real agenda other than to geek out and hang with like-minded friends, it can be a blast. That may not be serious enough for you but it works for me. I agree with some of the negative things you've said about it - it probably doesn't need to exist - but that was not the question.
Naw I agree, for tech geeks it's an all you can eat buffet. I'm grumpy today from too much work, don't mind me. I just don't think for many Serious racers who aren't getting paid (ie: guys who went to worlds like maddher) it makes much sense.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I got a job offer directly from the Bikealog president at Interbike. Didn't take it though (real IT jobs pay more and don't require unpaid relocation).

SDH Racing

Monkey
Apr 5, 2006
NE
A few guys from the shop I worked at this summer went there. I wonder if it was everything they were hyping it up to be.
All I know is Azonic, Sun Rims and Magura have stepped it up for 07 which is a good change, and keeps the team running smooth