Quantcast

Is it necessary to get pissed at bad drivers?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I was rolling along Valencia Street in the bike lane, where a Mercedes kept wandering into my lane.

It was obvious the driver was looking for a parking spot, and when it found one, he was oblivious to me, despite having a Niterider attached to my helmet.

Since I barely avoided getting taken out, I slapped his passenger mirror. He responded with a chickensh*t accleration, which I gave him a brake check and the obligatory "step out the car". Naturally, he does nothing, and I ride away.

The only reason why I mention this is that 2 hours later, I was talking with a few friends, and one girl mentions she barely notices cyclists (or anyone else) when she drives.

I didn't get mad or slap her in the face. I was actually very understanding considering she just told me "I come this close to hitting cyclists all the time".

I'm still trying to reconcile the two reactions, myself ready to vandalize a car and punch out a driver, and being sympathetic to a bad driver.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I was rolling along Valencia Street in the bike lane, where a Mercedes kept wandering into my lane.

It was obvious the driver was looking for a parking spot, and when it found one, he was oblivious to me, despite having a Niterider attached to my helmet.

Since I barely avoided getting taken out, I slapped his passenger mirror. He responded with a chickensh*t accleration, which I gave him a brake check and the obligatory "step out the car". Naturally, he does nothing, and I ride away.

The only reason why I mention this is that 2 hours later, I was talking with a few friends, and one girl mentions she barely notices cyclists (or anyone else) when she drives.

I didn't get mad or slap her in the face. I was actually very understanding considering she just told me "I come this close to hitting cyclists all the time".

I'm still trying to reconcile the two reactions, myself ready to vandalize a car and punch out a driver, and being sympathetic to a bad driver.
Says the asian.......

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
road rage is all the rage, I hope you **** your pants and piss your ultra absorbant bicycle shorts when one of these drivers actually steps out of the car and beats your ass, or better yet points a gun at your face.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I never got used to riding with a nightrider attached to my helmet...

Whatever floats your boat i guess.
lolz :rofl:

i find it is necessary to tell people how much a fvcking retard they are at driving. during my last job, i drove a ton of miles and made sure to tell at least 3 people everyday how much i hate them and their driving.

i did make a douchey mistake the other day and didnt signal turning into the gas station. a roadie told me i was a idiot and i felt like one.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
A guy on the Radio told me to run over cyclists. I have been gunning for them for 2 weeks now. Those Phuggers are pretty fast. I was close the other day but saw a cop out of the corner of my eye and pretended I was turning into the gas station. I have come to the conclusion that sidewalks are not made for Automobiles and that if I continue driving on them I should plan on having to do more maintenance on my car to compensate for the wear and tear. Isn't it against the law to ride your bike on the sidewalk?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
road rage is all the rage, I hope you **** your pants and piss your ultra absorbant bicycle shorts when one of these drivers actually steps out of the car and beats your ass, or better yet points a gun at your face.
Wouldn't it be easier for that driver just to run me over?

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
its funny how i react to it, when im cycling and get into a "situation" with vehicles i think wow was assholes these drivers are. and then when im driving and get tangled up with a cyclist i think about how freaking stupid cyclists are. then i punch myself in the testies

on another note i have included what i call my "trifecta of bad driving" it involves
1.being old
2.a woman
3.asian

if you are one of these its bad enough, but all three makes you a trifecta of dangerous driving :feminist:

Rideforfun

Monkey
Nov 23, 2009
A guy on the Radio told me to run over cyclists. I have been gunning for them for 2 weeks now. Those Phuggers are pretty fast. I was close the other day but saw a cop out of the corner of my eye and pretended I was turning into the gas station. I have come to the conclusion that sidewalks are not made for Automobiles and that if I continue driving on them I should plan on having to do more maintenance on my car to compensate for the wear and tear. Isn't it against the law to ride your bike on the sidewalk?
RM post of the day :weee:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
No, you shouldnt get pissed.... Road rage is Bull****.

Seriously one day someone will get out. I just happen to be one of those guys that will get out if you should decided to slap my car.

This **** really pisses me off on the road. Were the **** did personal responsibility go? Specially when this **** comes from people who ride moto as well. Remember classes were they beat it into your heads that your invisible???????

Look, I understand right of way, I understand who is suppose to yeild, but for ****s sake.... you see the dude is looking for a parking space......... That means HE ISNT LOOKING FOR YOU!!!! So look the **** out, anticipate they are going to pull in front of you and react accordingly by... I dont know.... turn... or slow down.... or whatever to avoind the ****ty situation in teh first place??? Or is it truly absolutly opposite as it is on teh water.... you know were bigger ALWAYS gets right of way?

Seriously, people taht commute and bitch about cars that almost hit them.... are you teh same people taht when leaving the walmart just simply refuse to ****in look when crossing into TRAFFIC, then bitch because your ass got run over??????

What the **** is wrong with people these days...... Remember third grade when they beat it into your head..... "Even though the crosswalk light is green... remember to look before stepping into the street" What is being taught now..."who cares just go... a lawyer can get you money if your not dead"???????

Look, commutting is great its healthy, its better for the planet Etc ETc

BUT, your invisible..... people ARE going to pull in front of you....... To NOT die... Yiou need to anticipate what people will do, and keep yourself safe............

Back to road rage, even if your not on a bike, comeone people, is it truly worth it to tell people they suck at driving? Why not just go on with your day, and let **** go????

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Sorry....... WTF is jumoing the shark anyways.... I missed when that became a cool statement.

I dont know about you guys.... but this is first grade teaching on how to cross a road ****.....

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Look, commutting is great its healthy, its better for the planet Etc ETc

BUT, your invisible..... people ARE going to pull in front of you....... To NOT die... Yiou need to anticipate what people will do, and keep yourself safe............

Back to road rage, even if your not on a bike, comeone people, is it truly worth it to tell people they suck at driving? Why not just go on with your day, and let **** go????
Well, that's something I am deciding on.

It is not like I got "hit" by a car. Then I would more worried about how I was injured, not hurt feelings.

A few weeks ago, a couple of kids screamed from their mommy's Land Rover to ride on the sidewalk. But that's not like almost being taken out either.

But this isn't the most sympathetic crowd either, since probably 5% of RMers actually bike commute.

It would be like asking me about motorcycle commuting last year, before I even sat on a moto.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Well, that's something I am deciding on.

It is not like I got "hit" by a car. Then I would more worried about how I was injured, not hurt feelings.

A few weeks ago, a couple of kids screamed from their mommy's Land Rover to ride on the sidewalk. But that's not like almost being taken out either.

But this isn't the most sympathetic crowd either, since probably 5% of RMers actually bike commute.

It would be like asking me about motorcycle commuting last year, before I even sat on a moto.
Im sure you saw alot of the same stuff happening on the moto as you are seeing on the bike.......... The whole idea that I see soo many people forget..... the car always wins

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
You definitely should have head butted them. Easy targets.
Well, I was riding thru a tony suburb, and when they realized the light 100 feet from me was turning red, they came this close to getting into a car wreck to run it.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Im sure you saw alot of the same stuff happening on the moto as you are seeing on the bike.......... The whole idea that I see soo many people forget..... the car always wins
The motorcycle is different though.

99.9% of my commute is on 101, so I find it less likely to get into a wreck than riding on the street. Of course, when I go down at 50mph+...

But I find myself in a better position. I am going faster than the cars, so I really try to take an uninvolved attitude. I flip a few fingers, but that's about it.

I actually have a different complaint: two days in a row now, fvcking squids have passed me in my lane going 20mph faster than I was (and I was doing at least 70 both times).

I can't wait for winter.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
The motorcycle is different though.

99.9% of my commute is on 101, so I find it less likely to get into a wreck than riding on the street. Of course, when I go down at 50mph+...

But I find myself in a better position. I am going faster than the cars, so I really try to take an uninvolved attitude. I flip a few fingers, but that's about it.

I actually have a different complaint: two days in a row now, fvcking squids have passed me in my lane going 20mph faster than I was (and I was doing at least 70 both times).

I can't wait for winter.
Well, Ive never ridden were your at so I dont know for sure, but here I take teh same attitude commuting as I do on the moto.

Squids cant drive fer ****...........Ill leave it at that!

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Someday the guy who looked 150lbs INSIDE the car is going to look 240lbs OUTSIDE the car. Or have a gun. Or know karate.

If you're going to vandalize a car, make it count and get the F out of there. If you're going to stop and chat, do it in a calm and reasonable manner. Don't do both...

(by the way, you should do the latter and not the former, dumbass)

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
Either you need to punch and vandalize them all, or you need to PIIHB with every bad driver who cuts you off. Fair is fair.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I try not to get pissed because when you yell at someone they only get pissed. I just give them a look and you'd be surprised at the number that say sorry. The thing I hate are the people that drive by and yell things like: "Get the f*ck off the road!"

owentking

Chimp
Mar 28, 2010
Mountains of Rock
This **** really pisses me off on the road. Were the **** did personal responsibility go? Specially when this **** comes from people who ride moto as well. Remember classes were they beat it into your heads that your invisible???????

Look, I understand right of way, I understand who is suppose to yeild, but for ****s sake.... you see the dude is looking for a parking space......... That means HE ISNT LOOKING FOR YOU!!!! So look the **** out, anticipate they are going to pull in front of you and react accordingly by... I dont know.... turn... or slow down.... or whatever to avoind the ****ty situation in teh first place??? Or is it truly absolutly opposite as it is on teh water.... you know were bigger ALWAYS gets right of way?
Very well put. I wonder about the personal responsibility thing in relation to so many other things in this country too. Sue your way to riches. Its the new American dream. :rolleyes: Theres the right of way in the book and then theres the right of way in the real world. Size usually wins in the real world. Good rant DirtyMike. :rant::clapping: