Quantcast

Is it possible to push on through an ‘overtraining’ stint?

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
I honestly don’t have the time to take of to get ‘rested’ up. Can in just keep going and hope my body catches up? What if i push harder? I've got some goals i need to keep up with and this just doesnt fit into the plan.

Big E

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Hell Paso Texas
well if you dont rest you can hurt your self and be out for longer than if you did rest, and besides i wouldnt train at all. i would just go out and ride and have a good time. but if you do train dont train harder and get all serious cause thats when it gets to be no fun.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The Toninator said:
I honestly don’t have the time to take of to get ‘rested’ up. Can in just keep going and hope my body catches up? What if i push harder? I've got some goals i need to keep up with and this just doesnt fit into the plan.
Rest is a important part of training IMO. You have to recharge the batteries so to speak. My thinking is training on a bike takes its toll on your body. If you don't take time to let things heal then you will eventually get hurt. Sounds like you need a training buddy or a coach. If you push to hard you will eventually have problems. Fatigue can work against you.....jdcamb

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Don't push on. Take the time to rest Tony. You're only going to damage yourself more if you don't take the time to recover. Two years ago I was overtrainined but continued to push on and I was sick like every other month to where I almost had Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and the doctors were concerned.

J

JRB

When did you start training? Shouldn't you riding reflect it if you train?

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Heidi said:
Don't push on. Take the time to rest Tony. You're only going to damage yourself more if you don't take the time to recover. Two years ago I was overtrainined but continued to push on and I was sick like every other month to where I almost had Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and the doctors were concerned.
So what would be considered resting?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
The Toninator said:
So what would be considered resting?
Take a few days off the bike.

Easy rides - like less than 60% max.

You are suppose to schedule easy periods in your training. It is very hard to go all out, all the time.

kissthepink

Chimp
Feb 26, 2003
This is for your 24 hour solo, right?
If you don't rest now, you will not finish the race. Period.
You CANNOT "push through".
Get a heart rate monitor, and use it. If you wake up with a high rate, you go easy or rest for the day.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Wumpus said:
Take a few days off the bike.

Easy rides - like less than 60% max.

You are suppose to schedule easy periods in your training. It is very hard to go all out, all the time.
i've been doing that. how many times a week for how long? (acutally zone 1-2 60-70%)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
LordOpie said:
I had heard that improvement/growth comes during rest periods, not during the training.

T'is the rest that makes you strong. Training is simply small amounts of damage that you do to your body, rest allows your body to recover and react to the damage by getting stronger. If you don't rest enough the damage simply builds up, you will get weaker and possibly succumb to injury and illness.

You have to learn how to listen to your body to find out when it has had enough, tired, sore or weak for no good reason is a good sign. Of course you have to push yourself every once in a while to get more fit, but that should always be followed by lots of sleep and inactivity.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
I just dont feel that i've been riding that much. i did race kind of often in the last few months (in red) but i felt at the time i was taking it easy in between.
march
april
may

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
The treatment for the overtraining syndrome is rest. The longer the overtraining has occurred, the more rest required. Therefore, early detection is very important. If the overtraining has only occurred for a short period of time (e.g., 3 - 4 weeks) then interrupting training for 3 - 5 days is usually sufficient rest. After this, workouts can be resumed on an alternate day basis. The intensity of the training can be maintained but the total volume must be lower. It is important that the factors that lead to overtraining be identified and corrected. Otherwise, the overtraining syndrome is likely to recur. The alternate day recovery period is continued for a few weeks and then an increase in volume is permitted. In more severe cases, the training program may have to be interrupted for weeks, and it may take months to recover. An alternate form of exercise can be substituted to help prevent the exercise withdrawal syndrome.
In conclusion, the prevailing wisdom is that it is better to be undertrained than overtrained. Rest is a vital part of any athlete's training. There is considerable evidence that reduced training (same intensity, lower volume) for up to 21 days will not decrease performance. A well-planned training program involves as much art as science and should allow for flexibility. Early warning signs of overtraining should be heeded and schedule adjustments made accordingly. Smart training is the path to faster times and good health.
http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/overtraining.html

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
LordOpie said:
I had heard that improvement/growth comes during rest periods, not during the training.

dam...Im gunna quit riding altogether and Ill be a worldclass racer.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Rest is what the athlete does, and comes in two forms, passive and active. Passive rest is doing nothing, and includes the time between workouts (sleep, etc...), or days off. Active rest is defined as very light exercise, often with stretching, which doesn’t result in damage to the muscles. An example of this is a 30 minute easy spin on the bike. The activity should be low heart rate (i.e., below the lower cutoff for aerobic work). The goal is to get a little increased blood flow to the muscles, and to prevent too much “stiffness” from setting in.
http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/rest.html

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
OK, you guys all talked me into taking a 3 day weekend. I'll start monday with an hour ride at or below 60% hrm as recovery.
Now as far as this weekends activities does gambling, whorin and drinkin count as 'rest?'