Quantcast

Is it pretty easy to swap springs from a coil shock?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
My craftworks came with a Vanilla RC with 400 pound spring - but I wrote to Craftworks and Robert Crafter recommended a 550 pound spring for my riding weight. Well the seller sent me a 500 pound spring along with the frame - so I figured that might be a happy medium (and I will lose weight come riding season).

I don't think I've ever swapped springs on a shock before - is it a pretty simple process? Not something I could totally F' up is it?

Anyone want to provide some tips - or steps to take to do it well?

Thanks.

MMcG

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
My craftworks came with a Vanilla RC with 400 pound spring - but I wrote to Craftworks and Robert Crafter recommended a 550 pound spring for my riding weight. Well the seller sent me a 500 pound spring along with the frame - so I figured that might be a happy medium (and I will lose weight come riding season).

I don't think I've ever swapped springs on a shock before - is it a pretty simple process? Not something I could totally F' up is it?

Anyone want to provide some tips - or steps to take to do it well?

Thanks.

MMcG
It is a very easy process! And I quote FOX:

Back off preload ring to loosen the spring until the slotted spring retainer can be removed from the shock. Note: It might be necessary
to remove the reducers from the shaft end of the shock to remove the spring. Slide the spring over the eyelet. Slide the new spring on over the eyelet, and re-install the spring retainer. Note: The slotted spring ring retainer slot must rest on the flat side of the spring. If the slot is straddling the gap caused by the end of the spring wire the slotted spring retainer may bend. Tighten the preload adjuster one full turn to keep the spring retainer from shaking loose. Align the slotted spring retainer so that the rebound knob is in the middle of the slot.