Quantcast

Is it worth it to go high end?

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I just got done building my M3 and it's time that I build a new DH race bike. Because I just finished building my M3(expensive), I'm looking to keep costs down a bit. The last component that I really need is a fork.

I've got an '08 Boxxer WC on my M3, however this time I'm thinking I'll go coil sprung as it will be more of a "plow anything" bike. I raced a couple races last season with my 66vf2(?) equipped Session. I really liked the way I was able to tune the fork with the oil weights and heights. It looks like I would be able to do the same with the '08 888 RCV, not sure about the RC3 or RC3 WC.

I'm wanting a fork that is very supple off the top and then ramps relatively quickly beyond that. I'm 6' and 135lbs dry, so finding a fork that is plush enough for me, yet rigid is ideal.

Suggestions? Anyone working with the '08 888 stuff yet?

-Kevin

altix

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
your insane, inless this bike is for someone else...im sure the m3 will be fine for most every dh tracks?

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
your 135lbs, the air sprung fork is the way I would go if I were that skinny. otherwise check out the boxxer team, pretty adjustable there or a fox 40rc2 would be ideal

altix

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
is that a rear triangle for a session 10?...wheres the rest of it haha

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
As bent^biker said, air is the way to go for your weight. Maybe the new 888 SL ATA? slightly heavier but still air like the boxxer WC

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
is that a rear triangle for a session 10?...wheres the rest of it haha
In my garage.

Anyway, Back on topic.

I'm not interested in another air sprung fork. I like my Boxxer WC, but I would prefer to go coil this time. Like I mentioned before the best ride that I was able to get from my fork came from my 66. It ate up the small bumps yet didn't wallow in it's travel.

With the RCV fork I can adjust the oil weigh/levels. Should be the same with the RC3 and RC3WC correct?

-Kevin

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Stick with the M3. Trust me, I've got a race setup on mine with a build cost of around $8,600 and I'll still take it on the roughest trails I can find and never have any problems with it. The M3 is all you need. Besides, it's harder to find a bike with as much travel that is that light.

What I would reccomend to you is just buy another fork and use that whenever you plan on really hard riding. For that just use a 40. I've got a Boxxer WC on mine and that thing has taken some major beatings but I havn't had too many problems with it even as a plowing fork.

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
No, in the RC3 you get compression and rebound, and a better dampening system as well (i think). I like my 888 more than any other coil fork, if your looking for a good reliable low-maintenance, slightly heavier fork, go with one of those. Maybe try to find an 07 because they are lighter.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
Stick with the M3. Trust me, I've got a race setup on mine with a build cost of around $8,600 and I'll still take it on the roughest trails I can find and never have any problems with it. The M3 is all you need. Besides, it's harder to find a bike with as much travel that is that light.

What I would reccomend to you is just buy another fork and use that whenever you plan on really hard riding. For that just use a 40. I've got a Boxxer WC on mine and that thing has taken some major beatings but I havn't had too many problems with it even as a plowing fork.
I CAN'T stick with the M3. Frame deal=I cannot ride another companies bike for 2008.

I AM building another bike. I have a spare set of cranks, juicy carbon brakes, king earl or WTB FR wheels, Sram XO shifting, chain guide on the way, seatpost on the way. The M3 will stay a complete in my stable for the simple fact that it's nice to have a spare that I'm familiar with and worse comes to worse I need it as a back up.

As for the fork. Looking at teh price on the 2008 Marzocchi forks, I could get the RC3(best looking option right now) for a good bit less on EP than I could get a 40. I've run a 36 in the past and unless you have the RC2 version it just doesn't work the way I wanted it to.

My other option is going back to the Travis forks, or a Boxxer team. But I'm far more interested in the 888 than either the Travis or another Boxxer.

-Kevin

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
Well, I have to say that I am quite impressed with the 888. They feel really good and are VERY durable!
Durability is certainly one thing they have going for them. And at 7lbs theres not a whole lot of weight gained over my m3. With my current components set aside for the build the new bike should weigh in right abour the same as the M3 when I've got the King Earl wheels and Arrow tires on it(41lbs). However I'm really intrigued by the RC3 damping system. The only reviews and ride tests I've seen are on the 66. I suppose I should check if Marz has them in stock and get one on the way. My frame(s) won't be in for a while anyway.

-Kevin

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
is there any particular reason why you have half of the production run of trek session in your garage at one time?
I'm the assistant manager at a shop that sells mainly Trek. I bought the Session 77 as my first full suspension bike for my 18th birthday and rode it everywhere. 2 years later I got more serious into the DH scene and ordered a Session 10. The first frame I got had a crooked pivot, so Trek sent me a new frame. The second frame I got had weld slag on the inside of the seat tube that was too much for a hone to even touch, so I got another frame. 2 of the 3 frames do not have warranties anymore. I would have kept riding the S10 except that the top tube is longer than I really want it to be, and ordering yet another s10 frame didn't make alot of sense so I ordered the M3 to race the next couple seasons. I recieved the frame from Intense in August(4 months ago) and rode 1 race on it. Now it's going to be hung on the wall.

-Kevin

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Is the new company paying you salary or your way to races? If not, then why hang your M3 up if you like it so much?

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I can't understand why somebody with an arsenal of bikes like that is asking if its worth it to go high end.......Kinda Bizzar.
Anywho.......if your all sponsered up giver the nuts. You wont have a choice in Frame, and you're sold on what fork you want. So go all the way on the componets.

Dr. Ill

Monkey
Nov 29, 2005
obviosly money is not an issue... why not get all the forks ur interested in and test which one you like better.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
obviosly money is not an issue... why not get all the forks ur interested in and test which one you like better.
Money is an issue, bike shop employees don't make much. We just get really good deals when stuff goes on sale or has introductory offers.

My biggest concern with the fork is how everything is in terms of ride quality. I know alot of people with the air versions were not happy with their 888's. I want to steer clear of anything like that. I have ridden 888's of the '05 and '06 years and found them to be much closer to the ride characteristics that I'm looking for.

I suppose my title should have been something more to the effect of "Is there a reason to go with the RC3 cartridge forks when the ride characteristics I'm after can be achieved through tuning the fork with spring weights, oil weights and oil heights...."

My question wasn't exactly clear. The RC3/RC3WC are really the 2 forks I'm looking at, not the RCV.

-Kevin

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
I recieved the frame from Intense in August(4 months ago) and rode 1 race on it. Now it's going to be hung on the wall.

-Kevin
Wait... your ride is on the PNW buy and sell, but with no price. What are you looking to get out of it? Obviously it isn't going to be "on the wall" for long...

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
Wait... your ride is on the PNW buy and sell, but with no price. What are you looking to get out of it? Obviously it isn't going to be "on the wall" for long...
I'll sell it if someone wants it. I'll keep it if no one does. I don't want to drop the price super low to sell it, but make an offer. I would like to keep it as a back up bike and to let friends ride and such.

-Kevin

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
well this whole thread just doesn't make sense to me.

1) you "might" have a sponser
2) you have the bike you really want it seems
3) you have the build that you want as well
4) money it and issue
5) your not getting free stuff

so why are you looking at a new bike?? also a sponser (unless they are giving you it for free/pay) can't make you stop riding your other bikes except at the races during your race run. also i know about the money issue as well as i have worked in shops for years (main pay for a while) but get what you want and no less, otherwise you will not be happy. i know this is true because i'm the same way.

guero

Chimp
Mar 27, 2005
Vancouver now Halifax
As far as I can tell this thread is one giant excuse to show pictures of the bikes you own. There is no question in here.

You own the best fork there is for DH (BoXXer WC) along with offerings from Marocchi, Avalanche and Manitou. You know what air vs. coil feels like. You know what high-end stuff feels like in comparison to low-end crap. 66rv vs. Travis vs. BWC. And if in doubt, you manage a shop - test ride some.

Getting sponsored or whatever by a new frame company won't change the ride of any of these forks. Props to you for the sponsorship - seriously - but this thread is meaningless.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
As far as I can tell this thread is one giant excuse to show pictures of the bikes you own. There is no question in here.

You own the best fork there is for DH (BoXXer WC) along with offerings from Marocchi, Avalanche and Manitou. You know what air vs. coil feels like. You know what high-end stuff feels like in comparison to low-end crap. 66rv vs. Travis vs. BWC. And if in doubt, you manage a shop - test ride some.

Getting sponsored or whatever by a new frame company won't change the ride of any of these forks. Props to you for the sponsorship - seriously - but this thread is meaningless.
:imstupid:

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington

Read again. Not just looking at the pctures. There are actual questions which have to do with the quality of the ride produced from the RC3 cartridges. I know that people have been far from pleased with the '07 888 series and I don't want to end up buying a fork that has a new damping system that still doesn't work like the older '05 or '06 series.

The only reason the pictures were there was to answer where the rest of the bike was. They will be removed as they are disctracting from the questions being asked.

As for the sponsor thing, yeah the M3 is nice, but there are other nice frames out there too.

-Kevin

guero

Chimp
Mar 27, 2005
Vancouver now Halifax
If I were you and I wasn't sure about the WC I'd test ride all sorts of other forks. Asking people won't give you any sort of idea of how a fork feels. These are just words on a page.

Stick with the WC and IF you're still curious when the 08 Marzocchi arrives at your shop (or another LBS) test ride it for comparison. My guess is that it'll feel a lot like last year's 888...but you'll have to be the judge of that.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved

Pics!

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Read again. Not just looking at the pctures. There are actual questions which have to do with the quality of the ride produced from the RC3 cartridges. I know that people have been far from pleased with the '07 888 series and I don't want to end up buying a fork that has a new damping system that still doesn't work like the older '05 or '06 series.

The only reason the pictures were there was to answer where the rest of the bike was. They will be removed as they are disctracting from the questions being asked.

As for the sponsor thing, yeah the M3 is nice, but there are other nice frames out there too.

-Kevin
The main issues with the 07 888 SL are easy fixes. Travel wind down is an easy fix (heavier spring or lock itin place), and set up issues were a problem due to Marz's crappy set up guide. I bought one after hearing what several owners had too say. I wouldn't touch the 08 888's for many reasons: Taiwan made, first year of a new model, will 38 stantions, and bigger lowers be durable.....think Fox 40.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
The main issues with the 07 888 SL are easy fixes. Travel wind down is an easy fix (heavier spring or lock itin place), and set up issues were a problem due to Marz's crappy set up guide. I bought one after hearing what several owners had too say. I wouldn't touch the 08 888's for many reasons: Taiwan made, first year of a new model, will 38 stantions, and bigger lowers be durable.....think Fox 40.
There we go. That's exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for. I'm really not so concerned about the Taiwan made part, more so the fact that it is the first year Marzocchi has gone to Taiwan. There are tons of great over sea's products, but you have a good point.
I know that I have liked the Travis Ti in the past and it's relatively inexpensive as is the Boxxer Team. I'm wanting to keep costs down a bit and not go all out like I did with the Boxxer WC. I would really like to get another Avalanche but thats a bit on the upper side of the cash scale.

Urinal Mint

Monkey
Oct 10, 2003
Washington
Read again. Not just looking at the pctures. There are actual questions which have to do with the quality of the ride produced from the RC3 cartridges.
Then why didn't you just focus on the fork for this thread. I hate it when people flaunt their sponsorships, its f*cking annoying. If you have a question about RC3 cartridges, then ask about that. No one cares about future possible sponsorship deals, or a bunch of sessions 10s in your garage.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Then why didn't you just focus on the fork for this thread. I hate it when people flaunt their sponsorships, its f*cking annoying. If you have a question about RC3 cartridges, then ask about that. No one cares about future possible sponsorship deals, or a bunch of sessions 10s in your garage.
That was about to be my question too.