Quantcast

Is it worth it to go high end?

guero

Chimp
Mar 27, 2005
Vancouver now Halifax
There we go. That's exactly the kind of stuff I'm wanting to keep costs down a bit and not go all out like I did with the Boxxer WC.
Why are you buying ANOTHER fork if you own a WC? If you're being "forced" to hang up (or sell) the M3 why not take the WC from the M3 and put it on the new frame? Makes no sense whatsoever.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
Then why didn't you just focus on the fork for this thread. I hate it when people flaunt their sponsorships, its f*cking annoying. If you have a question about RC3 cartridges, then ask about that. No one cares about future possible sponsorship deals, or a bunch of sessions 10s in your garage.
I did aim the focus of this thread at the fork. Every post had mention of the fork. The first 2 responses were wondering why I didn't just ride the M3 I built. I am specifically trying to avoid mention of my sponsorship. Read you'll see that by saying that I can't ride another frame for '08 I'm stating that I have a deal. People weren't catching on. I've been trying to go around the sponsorship deal by not mentioning who it is with. As for the 10's. They were asked about, I responded.

Why are you buying ANOTHER fork if you own a WC? If you're being "forced" to hang up (or sell) the M3 why not take the WC from the M3 and put it on the new frame? Makes no sense whatsoever.
I'm building another bike which will be completely seperate from that of the M3. Like I said earlier in the thread, the M3 will likely be a backup bike for friends who want to try out the sport of downhill and if worse comes to worse a spare at the races.
Again, if you read earlier in the thread, I'm wanting to go coil sprung, therefore the WC is out. I do not want to run an air fork on this bike, which I why I avoided mention of the RC3WC ATA. I am not interested in air sprung for this bike.
It makes perfect sense why I don't want to take the WC off. I want a coil sprung fork. Yes, I've ridden coil and air and I simply find coils to provide the ride I'm after better than air. See below where I state what I'm after and why.

Why not a fox 40 with a set of go ride springs?
I'm not interested in the 40. Well yes I am, but as of right now it's not an option. Next year possibly. I would only buy the 40 if if were the RC2. I've run the 36R on previous bikes and haven't been overly pleased with the amount of dive I got in corners with the spring rate adjusted for proper sag. I have a handful of friends running RC2's and they're nice, but even with EP they are pricey, aproximately the same as a WC but I've bought one of those already and don't really want to drop that again; which is in turn why I brought up the '08 888 series. Being made in taiwan the costs have gone down a bit. I knew alot of people really like the '05/'06 forks, not so much the '07 and was looking to find out what type of experience people have had with the new RC3 cartridges.

-Kevin

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I dont get that ladt comment becsause the 06/07 lineup was a carry (66 gained 10mm), where the 04/05's (also carried) had dif crowns and dampers.

I doubt you'l be unhappy with the RC3 - but it seems like thats where you were going all along!

guero

Chimp
Mar 27, 2005
Vancouver now Halifax
You are the best friend EVER - you're strapped for cash but you'll keep an M3 around just in case someone wants to ride it rather than sell it and have the bike spec of your choice....which would apparently involve a coil fork. Why not let them ride one of the two Session 10's you have lying around? Or either one of the two Session 77's.

You're like Ghandi. It must be hard to ride in sandals!

edit: I thought I'd seen your bike collection work its way into a couple posts before. Somehow they just slipped in there.

"Every 6 months I build/buy something new."

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187956&page=2

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I dont get that ladt comment becsause the 06/07 lineup was a carry (66 gained 10mm), where the 04/05's (also carried) had dif crowns and dampers.

I doubt you'l be unhappy with the RC3 - but it seems like thats where you were going all along!
You could be right about the 04/05 & 06/07. I've just heard a handful of comments about people not being as pleased with their '07's as previous 888's. That brought up concern as some of those guys saying they weren't as pleased ride the same trails/courses as I.

-Kevin

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
What race category are you racing in? Chances are you've got lots of areas to improve upon before worrying about this so much.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
What race category are you racing in? Chances are you've got lots of areas to improve upon before worrying about this so much.
Yes, I have lots of room to work on stuff. However... I'm not interested in riding a fork that performs or works poorly. I shouldn't have to ride low end stuff because I'm not pro.

-Kevin

norcalbiker

Chimp
Jul 15, 2007
You are the best friend EVER - you're strapped for cash but you'll keep an M3 around just in case someone wants to ride it rather than sell it and have the bike spec of your choice....which would apparently involve a coil fork. Why not let them ride one of the two Session 10's you have lying around? Or either one of the two Session 77's.

edit: I thought I'd seen your bike collection work its way into a couple posts before. Somehow they just slipped in there.

ohh that made my day

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i didn't think that buying bikes could be as addicting as gambling, but i think you just proved me wrong. how can you afford to do this? and if you can, then why own multiple bikes that you don't like that much (the sessions)?

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon

WHO CARES, how have any of your posts contributed to this thread? go bitch on pinkbike

guero

Chimp
Mar 27, 2005
Vancouver now Halifax
WHO CARES, how have any of your posts contributed to this thread? go bitch on pinkbike
Post #33 was the most honest advice I could muster considering. But you're right, I got sucked into caring. It probably wasn't worth being sarcastic. These exams are making me irritable.

My apologies BmxConvert. Good luck in your search.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
For the record.
I concur.

If I had that much money to blow on bikes, I would. And people would hate me for it because I'm not a pro...but its cool, because I'd have alot of sweet bikes. :twitch:

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
One of the Session10's went to a co-worker at the shop, the rest of the frames are in my garage with bad pivots or seat tubes. The session77 I sold to a friend, who sold it to someone else in the area.

I'm not saying that I'm not impressed by the WC. I was sipmply saying that in my search for a second fork, I do not want to go with something that is low on the performance scale such as was suggested because I still have room to work riding wise.

I will be rebuilding one of my old Travis Triple Ti's tonight and slapping that on the M3 for a ride on sunday to see if that will be satisfying despite it's lack of adjustments. I liked it before at speed through rocks where I have the most trouble now. We'll see.

-Kevin

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
One of the Session10's went to a co-worker at the shop, the rest of the frames are in my garage with bad pivots or seat tubes. The session77 I sold to a friend, who sold it to someone else in the area.

I'm not saying that I'm not impressed by the WC. I was sipmply saying that in my search for a second fork, I do not want to go with something that is low on the performance scale such as was suggested because I still have room to work riding wise.

I will be rebuilding one of my old Travis Triple Ti's tonight and slapping that on the M3 for a ride on sunday to see if that will be satisfying despite it's lack of adjustments. I liked it before at speed through rocks where I have the most trouble now. We'll see.

-Kevin

Where does it say that you should get a cheap fork or that you should only get a good fork if you're a pro?

By all means everyone should get the best parts they can afford. I was merely saying don't discount skill development / training.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
Where does it say that you should get a cheap fork or that you should only get a good fork if you're a pro?

By all means everyone should get the best parts they can afford. I was merely saying don't discount skill development / training.
I was referring to this post:

I recognize what you were saying and I wasn't trying to say that you were implying that I should go low end due to the fact that I have room to develop. I was simply saying that I like my stuff to feel like it isn't lagging in performance.

The search continues...
The Travis didn't get rebuilt to test this weekend. I decided to go get some urban riding done tonight instead. I let a friend cruise around on my M3, while I rode his hardtail. We ended up getting caught riding on the local campus by the security guard who came out and talked to us for nearly an hour about everything from racing to street bikes and motocross. At the end he told us that we could ride there whenever we want to as long as he's on duty and provided us with his schedule. Sweet! Downhill shuttles tomorrow.

-Kevin

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
If you can work on a fork's oil weights and heights then why don't you buy a 40 R and make it more progressive internally. I have many Fox forks and if you know what you are doing you can get an R to feel pretty good. I have a 36 Float R that is more progressive than a 2007 Van RC2 but it is tuned.