Quantcast

Is Mammoth feasible?

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
I think not . . . a mid-july date? They plan to be open to skiing until at least July 4! Let's here it from the locals - and any rumors you may have heard about a possible (and highly probable) venue change.

Mammoth Breaks its All-Time Snowfall Record

April 6, 2006

ski press - mammoth.jpg
Mammoth Lakes, Calif. (Ski Press)-A massive April storm in Mammoth pushed the California resort past the all-time snowfall record on Tuesday afternoon. As of Wednesday morning, Mammoth Mountain had recorded 632 inches, or 52 feet of snow since October. The previous record of 617 inches was set in the 1992/93 season. The enormous 20-foot-deep snow pack prompted officials to extend the ski season to the Fourth of July.

Mammoth Mountain, typically known for its sunny days, has had measurable amounts of snow fall 24 of the past 36 days. March was a near-record month with 189 inches of snow, followed by 73 inches of snow in the first few days of April.

The Mountain Operations crew has done a tremendous amount of digging to allow Mammoth’s 28 chairlifts to run. Recent storms have buried everything from chairlifts to equipment and signage. The snow pack is so deep that at Mammoth Mountain’s Main Lodge, skiers and snowboarders have to walk down onto the third-story sundeck.

“Because there has been so little sun in the last month the snow pack is not
settling and snow piles are as high as we’ve ever seen them,” said Clifford Mann, Director of Mountain Operations and long-time Mammoth resident. “All of
Mammoth’s snow-storage spaces are full and we have to move snow to new
locations.”

Mammoth will be open for skiing and riding on the entire mountain through April
30. From April 30 until at least July 4, Mammoth will offer skiing and riding
from top to bottom out of Main Lodge. Season passes for the 2006/07 season on
sale now will be valid starting May 1, 2006.

By the Numbers:
* 73 inches of snow have fallen since April 1
* It snowed 20 out of 31 days in the month of March for a total of 189 inches
* As of April 5, the season snowfall total at Mammoth was 632 inches or 52 feet
* The previous record of 617 inches was set in the 1992/93 season
* This season has given snow enthusiasts at total of 58 powder days and
counting
* The current base depth is 20-22 feet and the resort will operate until July 4

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Well last year they did the same thing in terms of closing date, and in August there was still snow. If they have that much snow I have a feeling late August is gonna be the earliest you're gonna want to be there.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
All I'm saying is last year, there was a fair amount of snow on Skid Marks, it started snowing hard at the top (epic coming down Kamikaze in that), and Upper Velocity was closed.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I was there 2 months ago and it was decent at best.

My friend was there a few weeks ago and it was apparently the worst snow he's ever seen. A big sheet of ice at the top and slush at the bottom.

SO don't go snowboarding at Mammoth now.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
I was up thier whne the ski patrol guys died, they got a rcord off snow some 638+ inches they said thier wil be sking till july 4 for sure and probalby after unlesss they are going to hall some snow out for bikers.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Mammoth has cut courses through the snow in the past. Of course, this was in downhill's hey day when people actually gave a damn and helicopters shuttled riders to the top.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Transcend said:
Mammoth has cut courses through the snow in the past. Of course, this was in downhill's hey day when people actually gave a damn and helicopters shuttled riders to the top.
Yes, I remember 12' high walls of snow in the kamikaze, like a white corridor...but like Fraser said, they had a no lose attitude and the promoter actually made money off the events...this time, I do not know if it will be worth the man power and machine power to clear snow-IF it comes to that.

b stevens

Chimp
Jul 12, 2004
mammoth is listed under national championships at usa cycling for those who could'nt find it.
two years ago they moved a lot of snow for the super D races but not the amount your talking now

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
They could be ready by mid/late July. I went to Mammoth last year in July to ride and most of the trails were open. However, the top of the mountain still had 10' of snow.

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
I talked to a local at sea otter, he said that most of the snow will be melted at canyon lodge where the nationals are held, they can board till the 4th cuz they move a lot of the snow there when it gets thin, canyon closes this weekend and no one will ride it for the few months untill the nat. It should be fine.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
blt2ride said:
They could be ready by mid/late July. I went to Mammoth last year in July to ride and most of the trails were open. However, the top of the mountain still had 10' of snow.
Yep, this pic was taken july 30th on breakthrough and that was the most snow there was.

This one was taken on the same day at the top on the way to skidmarks.

I only rode it once though, since there were some spots up there where the snow was too deep to ride. Kamakazie was open, but I never remember to stop and take pics.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
bdamschen said:
Yep, this pic was taken july 30th on breakthrough and that was the most snow there was.

This one was taken on the same day at the top on the way to skidmarks.

I only rode it once though, since there were some spots up there where the snow was too deep to ride. Kamakazie was open, but I never remember to stop and take pics.

I think that was the weekend I was there. It was strange driving through 110 degree heat in the Mojave desert and then seeing snow a few hours later in Mammoth...