Quantcast

Is the RS Vivid usually noisy?

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Just purchased a week old RS Vivid - sold under the promise it had been used a couple of times as was kept as a spare and recently serviced by sram at the last WC.

Fitted it to a frame today (cant ride it as it has no chainset etc atm) and its very noisy on the rebound stroke (not a squelchy noise like mixing air/oil).

For those who have experience on the Vivid - is it noisy?, if not ill send it back as it was purchased as a shock in perfect order.

Thanks, Rick

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
a few people have mentioned that, i beleive last time i read about it being noisy on this site was some with the name of daryl-something or other.

anyways, i had one on my blindside and it was silent, actually overall it was a quiter bike then my sunday and dhr, i mean it literally was silent :D

but from my times and usage (about 6 months and 10 days in whistler) i had no problems with noise, especially sounding like air/oil mixing.

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Thanks for the reply.

195 people have looked - only one person with a vivid?

Im looking for opinions from users - i dont want to look stupid claiming the shock may be broken when in fact its not (though from my experience a noisy shock is a broken one)

Rick

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
I've been running one since early Spring - weekend DH trips and XC rides during the week. My Vivid does make any abnormal sounds - pretty quiet for the most part. Good luck.

toby

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
My Vivid makes some funny noises, it's like "ohh ohhh OHH give it to me big boy" and then next thing you know it's squirting hot oil everywhere.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
With rebounds fully open, most any shock will make some noise.

If you have it setup properly and it still makes some noise, it just needs to be re-bleed. Chances are that it was serviced by SRAM, but a tiny bit of trapped air in the shock will result in some "noise". Part service at races tend to be done a little quicker and sometimes without the same tools and techniques available at a companies service headquarters so I'd gander that this is the case.

I'm sure there is a fellow rider that probably lives around you that knows how to bleed a vivid that you could bribe with a case of beer or you could learn to bleed it yourself.