Quantcast

Is there anything good to say about a Ford Ranger

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
I have been carless for the last 12 years, but recent circumstances (new job mostly) might force me to buy a vehicle. It only makes sense to buy a truck (shuttle! shuttle! shuttle!). I would like a Toyota, but they seem hard to come by. Ford Rangers are a dime a dozen. Anyone have one? Like it? Hate it?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I have a 93 with 170k miles on it. AC's broke. Cruise doesn't work. Gas gauge is busted. Radio only plays AM. Rust everywhere. But it gets me to work when it's too crappy to ride, it gets my bikes to the trails when needed, gets my keyboard gear to gigs, and runs great (knocking on wood).

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
shop around for a used Toyota pickup...

you'll find one that will make you happy, i'm sure.

DO NOT end up like the eTard that bought a VW against RM's collective better judgement

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
The Ranger is simple and CHEAP. In most recent years they have come with 3 engine choices
2.3L i4 banger
3.0 v6
4.0 v6

All of which are pretty decent engines. The 2.3 is REALLY easy to work on since there is so much room in there.

Another added bonus, with incentives and cut rate financing you can usually find these suckers new, easily affordable.

At my previous job we used them as parts trucks and were relatively trouble free. In addition every independent parts supplier that I can think of used them as delivery trucks as well.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Buddy of mine just turned over 150K on his with zero problems, and he uses it to tow a small boat almost every weekend.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I think the consensus that you'll find is that they're pretty basic and reliable little trucks. If you get one with a 2.3 like Ive got, dont expect any power. The V6's are nice though. I use one at work from time to time and it runs good.
They typically last well into the 200k range from all Ive read and as long as you keep it in good shape, you'll always be able to sell a truck for more than a car. At least around here anyway. Someone always needs a work truck.
Im getting 20-23 mpg on the 2.3 which isnt that good.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I don't like them (or any small American truck for that matter), but they seem to run with few issues. I wouldn't put any money into one, but they can be had for cheap.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
i have nothing but good things to say about mine. i had it for nine months and its safe to say it saved my life.
heres some of the stuff i put it through

and i walked away from this without a scratch

that happened after the front end was allready compromised from this

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I would like a Toyota, but they seem hard to come by. Ford Rangers are a dime a dozen. Anyone have one? Like it? Hate it?
It's been my expereince that the vehicles in demand are always harder to find than thevehicles nobody really wants/likes.....D

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
I'm pretty much of the same opinion as everyone else-they're cheap and reliable. I would recommend against the 3.slow option...the heads had a problem with cracking, not to mention they suck as much gas as a 4.0L but with similar power to the 2.3L.

I have two, one with 200K+ miles on it and have had minimal issues outside of regular maintenance.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
One thing to remember is that the Ranger and the Mazda B series trucks were the same thing for a long time (not sure if that whole thing is still going on though). You can find a good used one for cheap.
Pretty much the same truck except for styling and dealerships.

I have an '03 Ranger XL 2.3l with 60k on it and it has had only 1 problem: the "Door Ajar" light sometimes sticks on in hot weather. That's it.

Runs great, good on gas, (probably the best gas mileage on any small truck, I get about 22-24 mpg).

It has a comfortable seat too.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i have a deisel 2.5L courier, and the ranger is just an updated version of it where i come from.

if you are just using it to get to work and uplifts ect it is great.

mine has 180k on it, engine is running good. it has gone through 4 gear boxes, had all the engine and body mount changed, front disc resurfaced, calipers replaced, shoxs changed, ball joints and long shaft u joints changed. right not there is some play in the steering coz the rack and pin is worn out in middle part. cant do anything about it.

and here is the explanation why its had that much damage. i live up a 2700ft hill, excess is by a jeep track as its called, its 5.1km, wide enough for one car at most parts, and has some sharp corners, one which i have to do a small 3 point turn when in 4 wheel drive. so pretty much 70% of that 180k kilometers is of this jeep track.

the gear box just cant take the abuse, the LSD isn't great, the rear tires slip a lot in the corners even in 4 wheel drive.nearly everything else is due to the front end not having a differential gear box, so those tight corners put a lot of stress on the front end. other complains are the gear ratios, the skip from second to third gear is bad... but you wont notice it unless you drive on steep gradients.

other then that its been good... its pretty cheap... repairs dont cost too much, gets pretty good mpg....

dont take this as a put off as this hill that i live on is a real killer, i have seen pajero's, range rovers, land crusers, discoverys, rangers, troopers all kill their gear boxes here... the only two cars have been flawless are land rover defenders and suzuki jimmy's.(i think there are called samurai's in the us)

Mountain_Dewd

Monkey
May 30, 2005
whis
one time years ago me and my dad had to help this lady when here 2wd ranger was stuck on a little wet grass.

it was funny.

but completely irrelevant

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Thanks y'all. I knew they couldn't all be bad. The prices on the Rangers are considerably lower than on the Toyotas (when you can even find one). I'm kinda-sorta leaning toward a Ranger.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
i bought a 96 ranger 4 cylinder with 67k on it in 2004
it now has 131k on it and its been fine
i blew the spark plugs out of the cylynder heads once but other than that it has been fine. most of those miles are highway driving
ive had regular work done it and its a blast/challenge to drive in the snow

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
My dad had an 89' ranger back in the day when I was in high school. All I can say is that the truck can take a beating and keep going. Power slides across bumpy dirt lots, first attempts at power braking with a clutch, beach cruising etc. etc.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
We had them on the jobsite up north. seemed to run pretty well and start in the cold. I didn't like the layout, and the backseat is kind of a joke. Fun to hack around in the snow with 'em.

It would not be my first choice, but if you're just driving around with one passenger at most, I guess it would do the trick.

That back seat is a complete waste of time though.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know the Toyota should be my first choice (that is what my wife has) but the real question is:

Is $5000 better spent on a 2002 Ranger with 50,000 miles or a 1996 Tacoma with 95,000 miles. Is the quality of the Toyota 8 years and 45,000 miles better than the Ranger?

Note: Those numbers are rough estimates and not exact KBB values, so noboby get all "syadasti" with them.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know the Toyota should be my first choice (that is what my wife has) but the real question is:

Is $5000 better spent on a 2002 Ranger with 50,000 miles or a 1996 Tacoma with 95,000 miles. Is the quality of the Toyota 8 years and 45,000 miles better than the Ranger?

Note: Those numbers are rough estimates and not exact KBB values, so noboby get all "syadasti" with them.

No, Toyota fanboys drive the price up. Even if you had a bunch of problems with the Ranger $5k would pay for a lot of repairs.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC

well you may end up putting more money into the Ranger than the Toyota...there's a reason the Toyo's hold their re-sale value....D

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder

Assuming that you liked them equally, I'd go with the Ford. $5000 would pay for a hell of a lot of repairs, and it looks like that year is reasonably reliable. http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Reliability.aspx?year=2005&make=Ford&model=Ranger&trimid=-1

rky mtn srfr

Monkey
Nov 26, 2006
Boulder
I owned a 98 Ranger, 4x4, automatic with a 3.0L V6 and sold it with 88k on it. The motor was sackless, the 4x4 switch was sketchy sometimes, the idler pulley had to be replaced around 70k, the drvr side door switch didn't work/was always on with keys not in ignition, and it got 16-18mpg.

I now own a 99 Tacoma TRD, 4x4, manual, 3.2L V6. Had the water pump replaced at 68k (covered by warranty). It gets 18-21mpg and has plenty of torque and power compared to the Ranger. It handles much better on and off road than the Ranger. It feels solid, and always works good.

The Ranger is a decent truck for the money, but I'll buy a Tacoma everytime over the Ranger even if it's a little more expensive.

SloMoJo

Monkey
Dec 17, 2002
New England
If you can find a Ford Ranger that's made in Japan .. I'd say go for it.

US makes some amazing bombs and rockets and stuff ... but vehicles ... I dunno.

I was in a similar place a few years ago ... I took the Toyota 4 runner with some miles over newer domestic. No regrets.
GL either way.

'00 3.0 XLT with 96,000+ miles on it. It's been a great work horse and still going strong. In hind site, I should've gone with the 2.3 and gotten the extra cab for more interior space and the better gas mileage. All in all, I'd buy a Ford again. I got a super deal on the original purchase and knock on wood, the only thing I've had to do is the brakes and regular maintenance. The gas gauge only works from 3/4 tank on down, and the power door locks really don't work, but those things don't keep from getting to work or the trail head.

renorider40

Monkey
Aug 22, 2005
I would go with a taco any day. You will probably have to pay and make up the difference over time with the ranger anyway. So is the 8 years and 45,000 miles worth it. I'd say it will end up paying for itself in the long haul plus you will have no problems at all, no problems=no hassle.

renorider40

Monkey
Aug 22, 2005
Also just keep looking. They are super hard to come by, especially for myself who had a low budget, i almost decided to just go with another car, (ranger or s10). But in the end i found a good toyota. Also remember you can ship a car anywhere in the country for relatively cheap, so that makes you search options way way better.