Quantcast

Is there anything more I can get out of this auto claim?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Well short story, I got hit by a car, the guy left, came back, and noticed that I was taking pics of my car, he said he hit it and now I am on the insurance wheel.

So they sent a :monkey: out and he looked at my car, wrote down everything, took some pictures of it, and left. I didn't hear anything for a couple weeks.

I call in to find out that he estimated my car's repair was $3063. The local body shop says more like $3700. Great I say. After talking to the insurance lady and swpaping phone messages she tells me that the current repair cost is 59% of the car and they won't write it off as a total loss until it hits 80%. I don't think that the repair estimate is going to get close enough to 80% of the car's value.

So my question is........is there any way to squeeze any more money out of this? I was told to try and get like a 10 day rental advancement by the body shop doing my work as they advised me NOT to get it fixed as if it comes in under their "80%" deal then I have no money and I am screwed. They said I should take the money, try to get a rental advancement, and just head off with a new turner DHR j/k.

I'm wondering if this sounds right? Any ideas on how to squeeze some more $$$ from them?

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
Originally posted by BurlySurly
you could push it in a river and report it as stolen.
We knew a kid back in high school who did this to his truck. Well close this. He drove it off a cliff and reported it stolen. Bad idea on his half. He pissed his at the time girlfriend off and she told the police what happened and now he's in big dudu with everyone. If I lived in Kentucky I might be able to get away with it, here in Cali they don't like to give anything out for free!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I dunno about the laws in CA, but in NY you can have the work done at any accredited body shop you choose, and the insurance company has to pay for it.

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
well this is some funny stuff.

She told me on the phone after I did the math that my car is worth $4910. That is sorta it's kelly blue book price. The money that they sent me which was $3060 I think ends up being just about 60 percent of the car's total value.

I was quoted $3722 to repair it, which is 75 percent of the car's total value. They will consider your car a total loss at 80 percent.

SO I basicly called them, left 2 nasty messages, and mailed a letter saying my half of it and that I will not take less than the $3722 to repair my car as I am not taking a chance with it. Bodyshops told me alot of people make the mistake of getting it fixed, and then they are out the $3,000+ they had in money from the insurance company. I'm trying to get a rental advancement from them as well. I left my messages this afternoon so we'll have to see what happens with it.

All I gotta say is insurance people suck, I'd hate to have that job