Quantcast

Is there anywhere to practice skinnies?

luvz2ridez

Monkey
Jul 19, 2006
Shoreline, WA
Hubby and some friends and I went up to S. Surrey bike park in B.C. Canada on Saturday and had a blast riding all the skinnies they had and practicing on their drops. Problem is, I'm hooked! Is there anywhere to ride skinnies in WA that isn't 2 1/2 hours away?:disgust:

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
that one place...... that we dare not speek of
Yeah, you got to hook up with someone that knows "that one place." Then there's "the other place." In the meantime abandoned train tracks are a great place. You can use the road crossing to get up on them and then ride out. You don't pay if you fall off.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Do what I did and just build a bunch in your back yard. You can even make them portable so you can move/stack them when needed. No yard? Pull them out into the driveway and amaze your neighbors. There's always decent lumber to use in the throw away pile at construction sites.

I agree though if you go urban, you will find man made skinnies everywhere. Riding the curbs as long as possible on the way to a local Blue place to ride always gets me primed for what's to come.

Where do you live around town? Perhaps we can point you to someplace closer than Galby and Cedar Dust.

luvz2ridez

Monkey
Jul 19, 2006
Shoreline, WA
Do what I did and just build a bunch in your back yard. You can even make them portable so you can move/stack them when needed. No yard? Pull them out into the driveway and amaze your neighbors. There's always decent lumber to use in the throw away pile at construction sites.

I agree though if you go urban, you will find man made skinnies everywhere. Riding the curbs as long as possible on the way to a local Blue place to ride always gets me primed for what's to come.

Where do you live around town? Perhaps we can point you to someplace closer than Galby and Cedar Dust.
I want to build something in my yard or in the greenbelt out back, but it would have to be portable because kids ride back there all the time. Don't need someone getting hurt. As of right now, living in Puyallup, but moving soon...

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
The collanade seams like the perfect place to build skinnys, maybe talk to those guys about helping build some.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
There's already one log ride there. Nothing spectacular but good for practice and the gabion walls that you all may have seen in the videos. The one I like is a raised curb that curves and follows a pathway for over 150 feet. the tough part is staying on it around one of the columns.
Lots more skinnies coming and will be splitting some cedar and starting on the novice area bridges soon.

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
There's the long log at the Worm, we hit it at the end of our ride as we're coming out of the Worm section. It's a great one to practice on and practice dismounting from. Also good to learn how to fall from... :brow:

I agree with everybody else though, just take your bike out into the neighborhood and do the curbs! Or if you're riding down a road, like at SeaTac, just follow the yellow line. There's no consequences to doing that skinny.

luvz2ridez

Monkey
Jul 19, 2006
Shoreline, WA
There's the long log at the Worm, we hit it at the end of our ride as we're coming out of the Worm section. It's a great one to practice on and practice dismounting from. Also good to learn how to fall from... :brow:

I agree with everybody else though, just take your bike out into the neighborhood and do the curbs! Or if you're riding down a road, like at SeaTac, just follow the yellow line. There's no consequences to doing that skinny.
Redfoxx, you'll have to show me where this log is you are talking about at Tapeworm, I didn't see it.

Also, riding lines and curve is just not as fun...

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
"...not as fun."

True, but we thought you wanted practice. There may be some skinnies at Lake Sawyer. No sure anymore. Banner Forest may also have some.

There was some talk about building some at sea-tac but the jump craze sorta took over there. Used to be some ghetto ones in the south side by the fence.

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
"...not as fun."

True, but we thought you wanted practice. There may be some skinnies at Lake Sawyer. No sure anymore. Banner Forest may also have some.

There was some talk about building some at sea-tac but the jump craze sorta took over there. Used to be some ghetto ones in the south side by the fence.
No and
No

Banner doesn't have much in the way of structures other than some log piles.

At SeaTac, there aren't any functioning skinnies in the fence area other than a piece of metal drain spout or something like that. We will ride that but that's all there is for skinnyage.

I do know there's this guy's backyard that has skinnies...'course he lives way up yonder in Doo-Valle. :brows:

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
There used to be sorta a rule about no wood at seatac. I dont think theres really rules anymore. Since seatac is not apoved by the city, yet, I dont think it would be a good idea to build a bunch ladders. Also ladders are much easyer for someone to tare down. Some natural log rides or some well built, simple and low to the ground skinnys might be cool.

Theres some telephone pols that have been takin down around town that are just lying there, those are fun to practice on. One by my house wobels when you get on the smaller end, its a trip.

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
whats this place in Surrey you speak of?
Surrey Bike Park, a fine little skills park and sterling example of skill-building trails and stunts about 10 minutes over the border.

http://sorce.gotdns.com:81/trails_stunts1.html

The real-world name of the area is the South Surrey Recreation Centre and the drops and jumps are by the tennis courts. Trails area accessed from trailheads by the larger drops, among others.

kahner89

Monkey
May 25, 2006
spokanistan
curbs also are great. it is wherever your imagination takes you. I also have railroad ties in my backyard which is like 15 acres but it is awesome how they set them up. They are like curb width and like 10 feet long each. basically they look like long stairs and at the end there is a 7 ft. drop which is nice. i built a ramp if you want to use it as a step up too. man i get happy just thinking about it