Quantcast

is there such a thing as a long lasting UST DH tyre?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Was thinking about going tubeless on the rear as I'm having a 'mare with rear pinch flats just now.

Supertackys on the rear would last me no time.....I like skidding (Shoot me!!)

Is there anything available for UST with a harder wearing compound - similar to a Maxxpro 60a? (2.5 60a Minion DHF would be my Ideal tyre)

Thanks.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Thanks Cave Dweller.
I looked on the maxxis site and did a quick Google search for "Maxxis minion UST 60a" Can't believe I missed that CRC sell them (usually the first place I'd look).

They aren't due in stock for a couple of months, better give them a call to make sure they are still available before ordering a UST rim.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Jonny, did you have much problems with flats before you ran tubeless?
are you running UST rims, rimstrips or what?

I'm still getting flats with 35+psi and thick DH tubes.
I tried ghetto (20" tubes) tubeless years ago but found the tyre burped air and tried to roll off the rim at anything under 30psi.

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
I use stans flow rims with the yellow tape and 8gram valve. Works bloody well and is pretty much the lightest setup available. I have used the stans strips on other rims with great success too. And I have run many maxxis non ust tyres on mavic ust rims- from bling blings to larsens and high rollers. You just need to keep up on the goop in order to keep that seal tight. I've burped the rear slightly a few times this year and had it blow off once on a goofy sideways rock landing, this was the only time I had to stop riding- in the same time period I would of had 6+ pinch flats I reckon.