Quantcast

Is there such a thing as a universal 20mm to qr adapter?

Haitiracers

Chimp
May 9, 2005
Reading, PA
Does anyone know if something like this exists? If not, why? It seems like a pretty simple idea, and I can't find anything that isn't specific to a hub.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
My guess is no, because the flanges on the 20mm hub itself would not fit into a qr fork, regardless of any adapter you tried to add. Could be wrong but I doubt it.

snaky69

Monkey
Feb 10, 2007
Quebec, Canada
Not all hubs use the same bearings, nor the same body. Result: different adapters for different hubs.

It's like asking all hub companies to make their hubs exactly alike.

Haitiracers

Chimp
May 9, 2005
Reading, PA
Understood. But, what if it were a solid 20mm piece with a hole drilled through the center and two 9mm flanges on the ends that sat in the fork slots? Wouldn't that make it universal? All 20 mm hubs are the same length, correct?

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Some hubs have conversion kids, that come with them. The end caps pop off and you slide in an axle. The problem is 20MM is 110MM wide and QR is 100MM wide

Haitiracers

Chimp
May 9, 2005
Reading, PA
Yeah, that was the part I figured out. I stuck a 20mm wheel into my dirtjumper to see if it would work and realized the axel lengths were way off. Shimano probably came up with that idea, just so it would be a pain in the a$$ and cost more money.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Yeah, that was the part I figured out. I stuck a 20mm wheel into my dirtjumper to see if it would work and realized the axel lengths were way off. Shimano probably came up with that idea, just so it would be a pain in the a$$ and cost more money.
c'mon, shimano isn't the devil like some on the net claim it to be.... that's ridiculous.

but, I think at this point you're much better off trying to convert the 20mm down to 9mm rather than the other way around, which would be quite impossible with no room available in the smaller qr hub. You just may have to fabricate your own axle/adapters and find a way to get the end caps off of your current hub. heck, I've even seen a bmx front hub converted to fit a 20mm thru-axle recently! 110mm to 100mm isn't that big of a deal really. got a dremel? haha...
and yeah, I've got a conversion kit that came with my Azonic Outlaw wheelset too...

Haitiracers

Chimp
May 9, 2005
Reading, PA
"c'mon, shimano isn't the devil like some on the net claim it to be.... that's ridiculous"

Had a set of Dual control levers on my RM ETSX, and swore that I will never purchase another thing from Shimano after that. They were the worst invention ever, and rapid rise is the slowest moving derailleur ever.

Anyway, thanks for the advice...I have thought about the dremel tool thing, but I hate to not be able to switch it back to 20MM if I need too.

Aug 13, 2007
nh
i have a dimension hub with a 20mm axle but it came with adaptors to run a qr fork on it and alll they are is caps that magnitize on to the hub and then your ready to go.