Quantcast

Is This Acceptable To The Hardcore Twenty-Inch Riders?

cornfed

Monkey
Jul 30, 2007
I've noticed some 20" riders dislike MTB's. I'm not sure why really. I came from a BMX background and love the big wheels and little wheels. Big wheels better suit the type of trail riding I prefer. The line between MTB & BMX is pretty thin. I recently added a rigid fork to my bike and it really is more like a BMX cruiser now. Here is my MTBMX:

To me it is more like a BMX bike w/ big wheels. My intent isn't to stir up poo; I guess my question is this:

If your a 20 incher-for-life type, why do you dislike the big wheel bikes out at the trails or in the park?

cornfed

Monkey
Jul 30, 2007
If they give you grief take their bandana out of thier pocket and choke them with it.
Hahahaha. I don't really care. I just find it interesting that the two types of bikes are so similar, yet there is a division amongst some riders. I'm just wondering why...

Props to the guys @ SE Bikes. They've got some good bikes on the market. The '08's look promising for sure. Here's the spec's on my bike:

Frame: SE Bikes DJ Flyer, 23.5" TT

Fork: '07 DMR

Bars: Eastern, Not sure of the model

Stem: Profile top-load

Front wheel: DM24 rim; DT spokes 1X heads-in laced; Eastern OEM BMX hub; 36 hole

Rear wheel: DM24 rim; DT spokes 4X heads-in laced; Nashbar SS hub; Surly 15t; 36 hole

Tires: Holy Rollers, F 2.4 and R 2.2

Brake: BB7; roundagon; Odyssey slic ; SL7 lever

Grips: ODI Lock-ons

Seat: SE Bikes

Pedals: Eastern sealed aluminum

cranks: Eastern Pro

BB: Odyssey

Headset: Eastern sealed integrated

Sprocket: Eastern Medusa lite 30T

Chain: Sram PC1

Seat clamp: Shadow conspiracy

Tensioners: Crupi BMX

MC peepants

Monkey
Sep 20, 2006
i mainly ride my bmx but also have a riot that i ride at the park and trails and no one really gibes a $hit about it. Nice bike though.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
the SE website says the DJ Flyer is a 26" wheel bike. did you just put 24"s on it ? somehow it doesn't look like it..... wouldn't there be extra space in the back end ?

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
good thread. what i notice is that for one, the BMX riders that give so called mountain bikers sh!t are usually closed minded teenagers who like to think they are part of a core scene. from my experience if you talk to older riders, most of them own a big bike as well, or atleast like the idea.

i myself don't even consider myself either. i love riding all types of bikes so i don't consider my self part of a certain crowd, but rather a bike rider all and all. that's how it should be, and i think a lot of people are starting to get that. doesn't matter what a few hardcore teenagers say, once they grow up a bit they will wonder why they gave a sh!t in the first place most likely. being above the whole riding scene bit is a good place to be, having fun is where it's at.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
check this out from the Volume Bikes website
http://www.volumebikes.com/bikes-sh.html

Sledgehammer 26

The Sledgehammer has been an idea of ours for some time now. Designed for older guys that want to relive their youth by means of a big bmx bike. How many times have you wanted to cruise to the liquor store to pick up a sixer on a bike and jump some curbs to and from. We've all been there. We by no means wanted or have any interest in making MTB bikes with shocks and the rest of the bells and whistles. The Sledgehammer is our rendition of the old 26" race bike that the old men used to race at the ABA Grands in OKC. Pedro would truly be proud of our choice. So should you!

. . . interesting.

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
check this out from the Volume Bikes website
http://www.volumebikes.com/bikes-sh.html

Sledgehammer 26

The Sledgehammer has been an idea of ours for some time now. Designed for older guys that want to relive their youth by means of a big bmx bike. How many times have you wanted to cruise to the liquor store to pick up a sixer on a bike and jump some curbs to and from. We've all been there. We by no means wanted or have any interest in making MTB bikes with shocks and the rest of the bells and whistles. The Sledgehammer is our rendition of the old 26" race bike that the old men used to race at the ABA Grands in OKC. Pedro would truly be proud of our choice. So should you!

. . . interesting.

seen it before, don't think it's meant to be offensive though at all. i just don't think they felt the need to add anything to the bike and probably wanted to keep the cost down. they also were going with what they knew which was BMX inspiration i guess? i think if they wanted to give off a negative vibe they would of said something like "we didn't want to make mountain bike with all that crap you don't need" or something along those lines, haha.

MC peepants

Monkey
Sep 20, 2006
the SE website says the DJ Flyer is a 26" wheel bike. did you just put 24"s on it ? somehow it doesn't look like it..... wouldn't there be extra space in the back end ?
those are 26" wheels, the rim is an alex dm24.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
why name something the DM24 when it's a 26" wheel ? lame.

but i guess it comes in both....

http://www.northshoremountainbiking.com/product_reviews/show.php?id=1131

Description:
The DM24 has superior strength and resilience combined with CNC side walls for consistent braking performance. Due to its great strength and good structure, this rim is suitable for any high-speed downhill application.

Features :
-CNC'd Side Walls (optional)
-Ultra-strong
-Stainless single eyelets (optional)
-Wear Line indicator

Specs:
Size: 26" x 1.75"~2.125" (559mm x 24mm)
24" x 1.75"~2.125" (507mm x 24mm)
Holes: 32 / 36 (24" - 36 hole only)
Colors: Silver / Black
Wall finish: CSW (optional)
Joints: Pinned
Weight: 660 grams (24" - 590 grams)

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
nice bike, very clean!

There is no denying there are lines drawn between the two, I've felt it numerous times, but then again, just as many times as I've felt the stares and hate, I've had plenty of kids and older 20" riders come up wondering about my bike with a susp. fork, etc....
I'd pretty much agree with eb 100% on the topic, no need for black and white, one side or the other, bikes are bikes.

cmc, the Alex DM24 is 24mm wide... common way to name a rim.

cornfed

Monkey
Jul 30, 2007
The rims are indeed 26ers.

Deep discussion on rim name selection.

Sweet.

They are actually holding up pretty well. Since I relaced the rear 4 cross, it seems stiffer and stays truer (more true? whateva...). I do my share of casing too, thank you very much...

cornfed

Monkey
Jul 30, 2007
I changed my frame:

I have a new seat/seatpost on the way...

Spec's--

Frame: Geekhouse Wormtown 23.1"TT

Fork: '07 DMR

Bars: Eastern, Not sure of the model

Stem: Profile top-load

Front wheel: DM24 rim; DT spokes 1X heads-in laced; Eastern OEM BMX hub; 36 hole

Rear wheel: DM24 rim; DT spokes 4X heads-in laced; Nashbar SS hub; Surly 15t; 36 hole

Tires: Holy Rollers, F 2.4 and R 2.2

Brake: BB7; roundagon; Odyssey slic ; SL7 lever

Grips: ODI Lock-ons

Seat: SE Bikes

Pedals: Eastern sealed aluminum

cranks: Eastern Pro

BB: Odyssey

Headset: Eastern sealed integrated

Sprocket: Eastern Medusa lite 30T

Chain: Sram PC1

Seat clamp: Shadow conspiracy

Tensioners: Geekhouse