Quantcast

Is this bad?

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Today I gave my bike a much-needed washing after a day at Northstar, only to find some dings and scratches on the right stanchion of my fork. The big one is probably about 1/16 of an inch deep, and I can't notice any extra stiction when compressing the fork. Should I have the stanchion replaced, or will it be ok?

rjw

Chimp
Apr 18, 2002
UK
Should be fine. There's been a chunk like that missing from one stanchion of my Vanillas for a year or so now with no real problems.

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
it may bring up tiny amounts of oil with each stroke past that mark, and it will definitly wear your bushings more where it is. but i dont think you will harm your fork

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
It wreaks havoc on seals and bushings and eventually destroys your mind. You can get new uppers from answer when you see them at Sea Otter next spring for around 50-75 bones. I did the same thing...damn rocks.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
if you dont want to see if and how much damage it does to your seals/wipers/bushings then sand it down like theyre indicating here and then fill up.

if done properly and with a minimal dose of mechanical aptitude, that alone should completely fix the problem and prevent any future ones too.