Quantcast

****... is this supposed to happen?

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Well I've had my bike finished for about two weeks. Its rides great, I havent posted a bike check yet cause I still have to do some things.

But for the Fox RLC f100, I was doing some light street on it.. probly shouldnt have. But Anyway i noticed that when I go to pull up (ie. bunnie hop, manual, 180...) there is this lound clunk and I feel a thud in the fork. This even happend when its completely locked out.

SO is this supposed to happen? I can't tell if it did it when i first got it or not since i've been switching forks....

Anyone?

thanks.

Last edited:

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
It sounds like it topping out. Slow down the rebuild and put a bit of air in the fork.
Thanks, I knew it was called something. Thats exactly what I did: Turned the rebound completely off and pumped it up to 230 psi when it was at 150. Its really stiff but it still completely tops out. Any more advice?

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
My 36 does the same thing, you get used to it.

I would like to try a Manitou gold label, I've had good luck with Manitou forks in the past.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
My 36 does the same thing, you get used to it.

I would like to try a Manitou gold label, I've had good luck with Manitou forks in the past.
hmmm, ok so this is normal then? I've been thinking of selling the fork while its still good. Its just not stong enough to handle dirt jumping, I can almost flex the wheel from side to side.

I was thinking of either a pike or maybe a manitou. I'll see whats up for 2009.

Any more advice on the topping out would be great.

pancho64

Monkey
Jul 28, 2007
that happened to my 66 but i adjusted the rebound and it was all better. i dont think its something you should "get used to"

wakeeater

Monkey
Jan 6, 2007
livermore ca
did you turn the rebound off(full open) or more on(closing the port). more on will slow the fork down getting rid of the top out or at least it should

also i dunno but 230 psi sounds like an awful lot but im also used to coil forks

i just checked the fox manual and the top psi they recommend is 125 psi

Last edited:

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
I have a 100rl on my dj bike. I run the pressure at 130. I weigh 165 and it only goes into its travel if I really mess up a landing. I wouldnt ever go up above 200.

BeRad66

Chimp
Jan 6, 2008
Sea Town, Wash.
In my experience with fox air forks the topout spring compleatly compresses after about 90 to 100 psi in the main air spring. After snapping 2 top out springs on my 36 float, one of the guys at fox told me to increse the amount of float fluid in the air spring from 5cc (stock) to 10 to 15cc. This decreses the size of the air chamber causing the fork to ramp up more quickly and inturn run less air pressure in ther chamber. this should solve your topout issue. Here are my current fork settings: Float 36R 85mm ofr travel 12cc of float fluid 80psi in the air spring. It will feel softer in the top end (first 10mm of travel) but it ramps up quickly to firm just like dj/park riders want.:brows:

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
In my experience with fox air forks the topout spring compleatly compresses after about 90 to 100 psi in the main air spring. After snapping 2 top out springs on my 36 float, one of the guys at fox told me to increse the amount of float fluid in the air spring from 5cc (stock) to 10 to 15cc. This decreses the size of the air chamber causing the fork to ramp up more quickly and inturn run less air pressure in ther chamber. this should solve your topout issue. Here are my current fork settings: Float 36R 85mm ofr travel 12cc of float fluid 80psi in the air spring. It will feel softer in the top end (first 10mm of travel) but it ramps up quickly to firm just like dj/park riders want.:brows:
I will have to give this a try, even though I run between 50 to 60 psi in my 36(its on my xc/trail bike)

Makes good sense though.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Interesting stuff. Thanks all for the imput.

So I think I will try and change out the oils when i lower it and see what that does, but letting the air out did quite a bit I think.