Quantcast

Is this the problem?

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
The last time I rode at Whistler, I remember that my hands cramped up really badly after all the washboards on A-Line. Could that be from my 2003 Boxxer Team seizing up, or does that happen regardless of your suspension set-up?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by Tully
The last time I rode at Whistler, I remember that my hands cramped up really badly after all the washboards on A-Line. Could that be from my 2003 Boxxer Team seizing up, or does that happen regardless of your suspension set-up?
Actually that does sound like the spiking problem that last year's forks had. They would cycle through the stroke inconsistently.....sometimes compressing smoothly, sometimes almost bottoming and sometimes feeling almost locked up.

Get the valve upgrade if you don't already have it. It makes those forks feel like they should have in the first place.

laxincubus311

Monkey
Jan 7, 2004
East cost
with my old grips my odi instense lock ons, my hads got stiff and cramped to the point where i could barely open them at the end of a run. its from gripping the grips to hard, i found getting fatter grips helps.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Originally posted by laxincubus311
with my old grips my odi instense lock ons, my hads got stiff and cramped to the point where i could barely open them at the end of a run. its from gripping the grips to hard, i found getting fatter grips helps.
The opposite can also work depending on the person. I used to ride ( a few years ago), with Oury grips. Super fat and comfortable. But my hands are on the small side so I'd get pains. When I switched to really thin grips the pain went away.

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
Agreed grip do make a big difference.

Same thing with the OURY's too big for hands, changed to ODI ruffians, limited the scope of problem.

Biggest problem is not riding enough now.

It does make me wonder though, how many people are still following the OURY bandwagon and putting up with oversize grips for their hands.

I had really bad arm cramps for six months and not once thought about the grips being the problem. I finally took a mate suggesting that I change and then taking me to a shop to do so that I did make the change.

I think particualarly with OURYs people get carried away with the 'look how cushy it is' and the 'surely if its that cushy it must be good cause it absorbs vibration' mentality.

Cushy grips don't absorp squat if you're death gripping them because they're too big.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I read a little bit about a small fix for the 02 Super T awhile back too but I dont recall the Jr T.
Does anyone remeber what they were doing to the 02 Super T. They were drilling something out in it. Kind of like the Boxxer.

bizirka

Chimp
Apr 18, 2004
theres a few things you can do
1) get fatter tires and run them at lower PSI
2) different gripes
3)upgrade the fork with the black box thing
4)get stronger arms( masterbate more)
5) keep your elbows loose