Quantcast

Is Windrock rideable???

Sep 21, 2010
I'm coming down with 18 riders to do some winter riding and I wanted the lowdown on Winrock?? We are looking to head there between jan 26-28th!
Any help would be kind! Troy over at TTC has been amazing in helping us plan this trip!! We are coming down from Ontario in Canada and the weather is **** 250 cm of snow and 15-30 everyday!!! Looking forward to riding in the south

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
1-865-435-6971 is the # to the " Snackshak" at Windrock. We are supposed to get a little snow Friday&Sat. but not much. Call the Snakshak the 24 or 25th and ask how much snow they have on the ground.I'm about 1 1/2 hours from WR and we got 9 to 12 inches of snow around the 9th or 10th and we still have 3-5 inches hanging around.

And how do you get 18 riders together????? must be a team.

And 250cm??? Thats like over 8 feet right?

Last edited:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
As of Sunday the mtn still had a bunch of snow. But temps will be back to normal and should melt it off quickly. But we don't maintain the trails in the winter and leave the leaves on for protection so expect slippery conditions and downed trees.

Sep 21, 2010
Troy we are looking like we will be I-75 south to I-65 south!

Profro so your saying it's rideable?? I had friends come down years ago in early feb and they said it was great trail riding! We are used to Bromont in the fall (wet/leaves/rock) too

Are we gonna need a guide??

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Under the truest since of the word, Windrock is always rideable. :) It just depends on you ability and your sense of adventure. I'm usually pretty honest with folks on conditions. Unless its a dry year, most folks won't have a good time at Windrock in the winter.

Sep 21, 2010
Thanks for the advice!! Just talked to the folks over at the snackshak and the snow is all gone and the trails are open. We would just be doing one day over at Windrock! How many trails are there?? Most of the riders on the trip have raced internationally or are semi/junior pros. I do a lot of coaching and manage a large team that's why I got 18 riders together easy

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
They are all good. Southern Rocks is my favorite. Most all trails start where Trail 24 starts off P1. There is a small turn around there. Look for post and cable barrier in the woods. Trails start there. Take you time and look for signs with white backgrounds and black lettering along the trails. They name the trails and point you towards others.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Mtn got a little bit of snow last night. Sun is out and could evaporate all today, but its pretty soggy up there right now from all the melting snow from last storm.

1speedbrian

Chimp
Jan 20, 2009
I was going to go give the new XC trail a try this weekend. Shoot me a text or something and ill help before or after my ride.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Brian Poston and Todd will be out there tomorrow. There are tools on the trail. Ride in a find them after 10. I'll be out there on Sunday. I'll shoot you a text.

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
Been looking at the Oak ridge webcams and you guys haven't had snow in a while and have had temps in the 40s and 50s it looks like. Any idea how the ground is? Looks like you're gonna get rain tomorrow (though not a ton) and looks dry for the rest of the week except maybe a few showers Friday. A group of us from Ohio are looking at coming down Sunday and just wanted to see your guys' thoughts and/or if any of you were going to be out riding.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
It was as good as it gets last weekend. This weekend could be ok, but with rain tonight and colder temps thru the end of the week, I would expect wet leaves and some mud.

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
We're going stir crazy up north here, so we can deal with a bit of wet leaves. Just wanted to make sure the ground wasn't still soaked from the snow melting off or anything. I'll keep my eye on how much precip you guys get of the next day.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Its super windy here today, so I would expect a lot of deadfall and some downed trees. If you guys come and find downed trees, let me know where they are.

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
Will definitely do so sir. I'll probably throw a hand saw in the camelback for branches if needed. Fingers are crossed that you guys only get rain on Friday...