Quantcast

Isis bottom bracket b.s.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
Ive always run saints so I dont know **** about isis stuff. Are race face and truvativ bb the same? I have a 100mm bb on my dh comp and I have race face cranks. My bb is good but my arms are toast. Can I buy truvativ arms for my bb or what. Set me straight please. And what are the best arms to run?

eknomf

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Nanaimo, BC
Any ISIS arms will work with any ISIS bb. I've had trouble with all isis cranks, but the best for me were truvative holzfellors. The hussefelts are pretty terrible though.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
Do I have to specify if it has external cups? Cause Im looking at my bro's bike, which both have crappy hussys on them and his lucky7 has external cups and the arms are different then his regular bb ones.

illflip

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Newark, NJ
sorry to thread jack, but what isis bb brand have you had best luck with?

my truvativ gigapipe blew up on me last season. upgraded to XT's but no i have some spare isis cranks that i want to put on my dirt jumper

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
isis is terrible, go back to your saints, if you dont you will hate yourself...3 seasons on a pounded set of saints and they still have never come loose.

uncle-mofo

Chimp
Jun 27, 2008
Waterford, Ireland
isis is terrible, go back to your saints, if you dont you will hate yourself...3 seasons on a pounded set of saints and they still have never come loose.
You can't get them for a 100mm bb. Raceface external cranks are avaliable in 100mm though. I personally think Middleburn RS7s are the best ISIS cranks, ligh strong but not cheap. Mine are probably 5 years old now and still straight.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
I called sram and apparently I cant get hozfellers in the regular bottom bracket version. And I just dislike race face so I really dont want to pay to put race face junk on my bike.

So does anybody have any non external hozfellers in 170 or 165 they want to sell?

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
The SKF makes the best isis bb's. They make different price levels. They are not cheap but worth every penny. I killed RF and Truvativ bb's but I am on my 3 season with the SKF bb. I run that bb with Middleburn RS7 165s beats the snot out of outboard bearing bb's.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
For original Isis BB's....FSA Platinum Pro's always worked great for me. But I have moved past using internal bearing BB's all together.

For your application, about the best thing you can setup...Truvativ Holtzfellers Howitzer drive, with the team 100mm BB. Mainly because theya re easy to setup, and they are readily available for the 100MM BB.

They are not the litest combo, but they hold up just fine, if you want to go stronger, get the hussefelts, I beat the hell out of my hussefelts, and no problems at all.

If you are set on running the standard/old Isis, then yes, Truvativ, FSA, Raceface...Isis is Isis, they interchange just fine. Although, I would stay away from teh RF BB, they always seem to fail way too early.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
They are not the litest combo, but they hold up just fine, if you want to go stronger, get the hussefelts, I beat the hell out of my hussefelts, and no problems at all.
Hussefelt's aren't stronger, they're just heavier, which gives the illusion of strength. If you want strength, I mean hardtail 20ft to flat strength, get Profile's, or something like that (3 piece).
I highly recommend the Holzfeller's as I never had a problem with them, and they make them for both regular ISIS and the new ISIS-looking Truvativ Howitzer BB. Yeah, Middleburns are better, but will cost you upwards of $150 for a set of arms, and that's if you look around on classifieds for used (and they are ISIS only).
The Race Face Diabolus crankset in 100mm would be a great upgrade that will never fail you. Seriously. Well, the bearings might need replacement eventually, but they are a great product (although not the lightest). Just because you had a bad experience with a Race Face product does not mean that all Race Face products suck. It's quite the opposite. There are always people out there that hate something for some reason. I get pretty frustrated every time I go to bleed my Formula One's, and you don't hear people really bashing on those much...

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
You can get cr-mo ISIS cranks which should hold up well, anyone that says Hussefelt and strong in the same sentence should not be trusted.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Then explain to me how I have broken three sets os Holtzfellers, I set snapped, two that pulled the threads out, and riding even harder I have not been able to faze the hussefelts?

When the Howitzer hussefelts first came out, they had problems, which have since been remedied.

I am a big guy too, if they were going to break, I would have killed them by now, still straight, still going strong.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
Ive never really had a bad experience with race face. I just dont like the company for some reason. Nothing in paricular but thats how I feel. Thanks for all the imput. I would love to run my saints but ya my frame is killing me. Thats life though. A buddy of mine hooked me up with some hozfellers for 35 dollars so I went that route.

dh gangster

Monkey
Jul 31, 2006
P en Doubleyou
The SKF makes the best isis bb's. They make different price levels. They are not cheap but worth every penny. I killed RF and Truvativ bb's but I am on my 3 season with the SKF bb. I run that bb with Middleburn RS7 165s beats the snot out of outboard bearing bb's.
SKF, while they make an extrodinary BB, they dont even come in 83mm, much less the needed 100mm.

Now as far as middleburns, I completely concur on those. They are absolutely the best isis BB crank made. Light, strong, and a lifetime warranty against DH and Freeride use? How could they not be amazing? I love mine. But they aren't cheap.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Middleburns should be fine as long as you have rear suspension, I have bent two sets on my HT.
They also flex quite a bit if you are a pedal masher, If my set get replaced I will run a pair on my dually but Profiles are going on the HT.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I've had a couple of issues with my set of Hussefelts. They lost the retainer screw for the pedal insert, leading to a hell to take out the damn pedal and get a new a new retainer screw and a new hole for it drilled, because the arm hole got a bit damaged (I realized the pin was lost after a serious street/park session, when I was washing the bike). Other than that, the arms are still straight and fit firmly to the BB (a Gigapipe DHLT, BTW). Both the BB and the arms are holding on after four years of abuse, but I might consider changing the arms for a set of Holzfellers if I can get a friend into selling them...

Last edited:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
SKF, while they make an extrodinary BB, they dont even come in 83mm, much less the needed 100mm.

Now as far as middleburns, I completely concur on those. They are absolutely the best isis BB crank made. Light, strong, and a lifetime warranty against DH and Freeride use? How could they not be amazing? I love mine. But they aren't cheap.
I agree, I'm still loving my Middleburns:thumb: