Quantcast

It has been announced! the next Red-Bull event in Israel

DHDror

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Israel
I just got the call from the local Red-Bull distributer , inviting me to participate in the event , July 29th-30th .
It’s going to be a dual type race inside the old copper mines of Timna in the south of Israel (not on Tatooine...) .
These mines are said to be the oldest mines on earth , started almost 6000 years ago and were dug according to the copper paths under the ground , leaving 30 km of winding tunnels !
These mines were disserted since 1976 and remained locked until today…

Not many people went down there so I don’t have any information on the terrain and only found these lousy photos.

I’m so excited ! I can’t wait to get down there !
I’ill better start working on my lighting system and hardtail …

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Is this to replace the Rampage? I thought they already did a race in a mine shaft somewhere in europe. It doesn't seem like something a lot of spectators would be able to attend, in a location that wouldn't draw alot of attention.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Kornphlake said:
It doesn't seem like something a lot of spectators would be able to attend, in a location that wouldn't draw alot of attention.
Made for tv is my guess. I can just see the opening shot/history of the mine shaft. Non biking people will eat it up. Either way it seems pretty cool. I'm glad someone is still putting out the bucks to get exposure to our sport.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
manhattanprjkt83 said:
someone PM me with what was said...pleeeeeeeeeassssssssse
I read it before it was changed, but I don't remember exactly what was said, something about pakistan or afganistan and it wasn't that funny.

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
I thought they already did a race in a mine shaft somewhere in europe.
yes they did. it was called red bull's race to the center of the earth. it was held in germany in a salt mine. major pain when you crashed. the kool thing about it was that the race course actually incorperated the heavy macinery that had been abandoned in the mine.

and about the spectators. that race only allowed 30 spectators for it.

T0mo

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
nedtown, colorado
Kornphlake said:
I read it before it was changed, but I don't remember exactly what was said, something about pakistan or afganistan and it wasn't that funny.
It was palestinians I think, and you're right about it not being that funny.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
DHDror said:
I just got the call from the local Red-Bull distributer , inviting me to participate in the event , July 29th-30th .
It’s going to be a dual type race inside the old copper mines of Timna in the south of Israel (not on Tatooine...) .
These mines are said to be the oldest mines on earth , started almost 6000 years ago and were dug according to the copper paths under the ground , leaving 30 km of winding tunnels !
These mines were disserted since 1976 and remained locked until today…

Not many people went down there so I don’t have any information on the terrain and only found these lousy photos.

I’m so excited ! I can’t wait to get down there !
I’ill better start working on my lighting system and hardtail …

that sounds great, its not a spectator event for sure but with creative editing and filming it can be made a very interesting package, plus the riders will probably be stoked just as you.

hey can you hear with the organizers and see if there is any more info available? maybe i can get the local redbull people to send riders from here to that race.

DHDror

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Israel
OK , I just got some more info -

The track is a 1/4 mile long with a vertical descent of nearly 200 feet !
All of it is underground.
The caves are 16-20 ft wide and up to 26ft high
Speeds may reach 40 mph according to track designer .
All obstacles will be wooden.
No audience - only a filming crew.
32 men and 4 women qualifiers out of 50 local invited riders.

I will have a drawing of the track next week.

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
Hi Dror, Brian from Therapy here. Sounds cool, glad to see some good things going on for biking there.

Bullit21

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Socal
TheMontashu said:
I will be in the country then WHY DO I HAVE TO BE WITH A GROUP!!!!!
Are you going on birthright? I never went and now I am too old to qualify. :mumble: I will have to go someday.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
zedro said:
not hard to guess along what lines considering the controversial local
you are searching for "locale" :oink:

and, agreed, it was not funny