Quantcast

Its fall! I am going to pick up snowboarding this winter. Questions inside!

TickTock

Chimp
Aug 1, 2002
~Boston~
Hey all!

Last year I tried snowboarding for the first time. I was never a skier and have always been a biker. It hurt. My ass felt like I had been pounded with a board from falling on it so much. Well, by the end of that first day I had a few “magic” moments where I pulled a decent turn or didn’t crash and I loved that feeling. What I did notice was that given my general total lack of skill, I was wasting my money on a lift pass since even the easiest actual ski trails were dangerous to a total newbie like myself who doesn’t bounce like I used to when I was 18. This winter I’ve decided that if I needed to rent 3-4 times more to learn the basics, I could pretty much buy the gear and own it, and then practice on hills around where I live and save the initial learning and rental costs. Theres also a real feeling to owning your own stuff that appeals to me.

I have enough spare bike stuff that it wont be hard for me to come up with a chunk of cash and I might even be able to trade a nice frame for some gear.

So here are my questions:
Is buying used gear where its at for beginners? What is a good site?

How much will an entry-level board/boots/bindings cost me? What should I be looking for in particular?

Is there any other gear I need besides board/boot/bindings?

jmvar

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
"It was a funny angle!"
Is buying used gear where its at for beginners? What is a good site?
used is good for begginers, boards and bindings, but I suggest you buy your own new boots so they pack into the shape of your feet. Also, you can't try on used boots you get off ebay. You can check the sale forums on here or ebay. Make sure you get the correct size board for your height and conditions...ie..long board for powder, shorter board for east coast ice..

Buy your boots first, make sure they fit well and try them on with a nice pair of wool socks that you will be snowbaording in. Measure the length of the boot and buy a board that is just a little narower than the length of the boot so your toes and heals don't hang over the edges like monkey toes.

How much will an entry-level board/boots/bindings cost me? What should I be looking for in particular?
hhhhhmmmmmm, haven't shopped for snowbaord stuff in a while, anyone else?

Is there any other gear I need besides board/boot/bindings?
from head to toe:
good warm hat/cap that covers ears
sunglasses/goggles
good layers, undergarments, fleece sweaters, nothing cotton
good jacket with pockets and hood
nice gloves
long underware
water proof pants
wool socks
blistex
asprin/ibeprofin
icepacks
health insurance

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
what i would suggest for a novice learning in the land of ice is some decent padding. i started wearing my roach dh pads under my snowboard pants and my knees were grateful. i also wear my fullface helmet so if i rat trap and face plant, it's not nearly as painful. plus, it keeps my head nice and toasty.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Invest in some professional instruction a few times so you can enjoy trips to the mountain, all you'll do on your own is learn bad habits. Boarding has a quick learning curve and once you get the basics you'll be shredding in no time. After that, the advice of owning your own boots is a good one.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Just go out there and do it.

YOU WILL FALL AND YES IT WILL HURT.
It's like riding a bike, you just need to let go and do it. You'll get the hang of things just don't give up.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
dan-o said:
Invest in some professional instruction a few times so you can enjoy trips to the mountain, all you'll do on your own is learn bad habits. Boarding has a quick learning curve and once you get the basics you'll be shredding in no time.
:stupid:
YES! A full day lesson at a ski resort is well worth the money. You will not regret it. 2 years ago I took my first snowboarding lesson (full day) and within 2 days I was feeling really comfortable on green. Last year I only made it up 3 times, but what I learned had stuck and by the 3rd time, I was feeling great on blue runs. This year, I hope to graduate to black.

for a relatively cheap option for protecting your bum, check out the Butt Shield. It looks goofy, but MY GOD does it work. You can trim it down with sissors, and under baggy clothes you can't tell its there. For other protection, I wear a helmet and wrist guards. I may pick up some knee pads for this year too.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
dan-o said:
Invest in some professional instruction a few times so you can enjoy trips to the mountain, all you'll do on your own is learn bad habits. Boarding has a quick learning curve and once you get the basics you'll be shredding in no time. After that, the advice of owning your own boots is a good one.

Yep, exactly. Lessons are a great idea, and any of your friends that are good can work with you after. Boots are the MOST important thing. Go to a couple of shops and have them fit you for boots...I've had a hell of time finding the right boots and it's f'd up many a snowboard day. BAD.

Also, get a helmet. Giro probably makes the most comfortable, warm helmets for snowboarding. They have em in all price ranges, but just make sure you get one.

Also, your board is geared for weight and riding style, not height. If someone at a snowboard shop holds it up to your body measuring it against your height, tell em you gotta use the bathroom and LEAVE! You're probably best off starting with an all mountain free ride board.

It's hard to say what it will cost you to start with all your own gear, but if you look at used boards, make sure the rails aren't bent and there are no bubbles on the top or bottom. As for bindings, even though they seem like a pain in the ass...try the strap in bindings before the step ins.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
pixelninja said:
:stupid:
YES! A full day lesson at a ski resort is well worth the money. You will not regret it. 2 years ago I took my first snowboarding lesson (full day) and within 2 days I was feeling really comfortable on green. Last year I only made it up 3 times, but what I learned had stuck and by the 3rd time, I was feeling great on blue runs. This year, I hope to graduate to black.

for a relatively cheap option for protecting your bum, check out the Butt Shield. It looks goofy, but MY GOD does it work. You can trim it down with sissors, and under baggy clothes you can't tell its there. For other protection, I wear a helmet and wrist guards. I may pick up some knee pads for this year too.

I still wear wrist guards...protec makes some nice small ones for boarding.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Lessons????? Helmet????
WTF? Just do it!
I learned on a krusty old Kemper in jeans and my old Doc Martins, on figgin Sugar Mtn!
It was all ice.
Don't do the bunny slope just go to the top and you'll get it by the time you reach the lift.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
DVNT said:
Lessons????? Helmet????
WTF? Just do it!
I learned on a krusty old Kemper in jeans and my old Doc Martins, on figgin Sugar Mtn!
It was all ice.
Don't do the bunny slope just go to the top and you'll get it by the time you reach the lift.

I will NEVER ride without a helmet again...last season we had a night where we had gotten a ton of powder and it got hot the next day and the powder got wet and heavy...I was going down to the lift and I was on probably an intermediate run and I went over a bump I didn't see, the snow didn't move and I went down HARD head down the mountain...I probably would have been carried off the mountain in one of those sleds had I not been wearing my helmet. You wouldn't ride your bike without one would you?

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
DVNT said:
Lessons????? Helmet????
WTF? Just do it!
It was all ice.

Oh listen to you...

I agree blow off the bunny slope, but the guy needs to learn...a lesson is a good idea...i've seen a lot of people take lessons and they do great in the first day or two. And not wear a helmet??? WTF?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
DVNT said:
Lessons????? Helmet????
WTF? Just do it!
It was all ice.
worstAdviceEver++;

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Everyone will laugh at him if he wears a helmet.
He's rep. he's gotta protect.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
dh girlie said:
NOOOOOOOO! don't listen to him...

I remember when snowboarding was "fringe" and the only places you could do it was back-country or Boreal. Now every frickin mommy, daddy, and kid on 80 in their minivan is a snowboarder. Oooh, you are so core, just like everyone else.
:blah:

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Excuse me for being a poor college kid that would cook pizzas for a free lift pass every frikkin year!

My point is get out there and do it. I'd much rather spend money on a nice set of boots than a helmet or lessons. If your feet get cold you won't enjoy it!

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Damn True said:
I remember when snowboarding was "fringe" and the only places you could do it was back-country or Boreal. Now every frickin mommy, daddy, and kid on 80 in their minivan is a snowboarder. Oooh, you are so core, just like everyone else.

Exactly a Soccermom without the soccer or mom part :blah: :nuts:

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Damn True said:

Yes I remember those days too...never said I was core...and what's wrong with people trying it...there is a reason people are doing it over skiing...skiing is for cheesey tight pants wearing tools...:D

But really...I think it's cool when parents board with their kids...nice way for them to bond...and snowboardings been around for a long time, so how do you know these mommys and daddys weren't some of the first on the mountain to snowboard? HMMMM Mr. Judgemental!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
DVNT said:
Everyone will laugh at him if he wears a helmet.
I think you board on Stupid Mountain.

I went boarding once at the end of last season. And yes, I wore my ski helmet. Sure enough I fell and landed on the back of my head. The helmet probably saved me a concussion. I'm not saying everyone has to wear one, but don't be an idiot and knock people for suggesting it.

I can't wait to snowboard again this season. :)

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
DVNT said:
Excuse me for being a poor college kid that would suck dicks and lick sacks for a free lift pass every frikkin year! :D :blah:

My point is get out there and do it. I'd much rather spend money on a nice set of boots than a helmet or lessons. If your feet get cold you won't enjoy it!
Theres nothing wrong with taking a lesson and god forbid protecting your head. He'll get a lot of use out of those nice warm boots when he's sitting in a wheelchair crapping all over himself and drooling as a result of a head injury.

I agree that boots are by far the most important piece of equipment...if your feet aren't comfortable you're gonna have a crappy day.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
I Are Baboon said:
I think you board on Stupid Mountain.

I went boarding once at the end of last season. And yes, I wore my ski helmet. Sure enough I fell and landed on the back of my head. The helmet probably saved me a concussion. I'm not saying everyone has to wear one, but don't be an idiot and knock people for suggesting it.

I can't wait to snowboard again this season. :)

I whacked my head hard last year too...even with the helmet it really rung my bell...I wasn't on anything gnarly and I've been boarding for a long time and I'm a decent boarder...I almost didn't wear it that day cuz it was hot...but f that...tons of people in tahoe...even the bad asses...wear helmets.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
not wearing a helmet is just incentive to not fall.

you'll be a better snowboarder and learn faster.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Well I'm being serious about the helmet part. I've never worn one while snowboarding and never will.

Do people wear helmets wakeboarding?

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
DVNT said:
Well I'm being serious about the helmet part. I've never worn one while snowboarding and never will.

Do people wear helmets wakeboarding?

Actually, yeah...it's not as common as snowboarding, that's for sure, but yeah some do...even some of the pro's.

And when you DO crash and get a head injury we will all laugh as you crap and drool all over yourself!

Actually it already sounds like you crashed and knocked yourself silly!

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Damn, I can't wait for the snow season to start. Although living in So Cal now, I miss Tahoe so much. I used to get around 30 days in during the season, now living down here it's like 5.

Oh well, I'm having knee surgery this season anyway, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
dh girlie said:
I whacked my head hard last year too...even with the helmet it really rung my bell...I wasn't on anything gnarly and I've been boarding for a long time and I'm a decent boarder...I almost didn't wear it that day cuz it was hot...but f that...tons of people in tahoe...even the bad asses...wear helmets.
My fall was my first run EVER from the top of the mountain. :( I had my back facing the bottom of the mountain and caught my downhill edge. Even with the helmet, my head hurt like hell.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
I Are Baboon said:
My fall was my first run EVER from the top of the mountain. :( I had my back facing the bottom of the mountain and caught my downhill edge. Even with the helmet, my head hurt like hell.
That's what happened to me...I've been boarding for years and I was cruising down the mountain end of last season...so it can happen ANY time to anyone no matter how experienced or not...It hurt like a bitch and really rung my bell and gave me whiplash. I think I had a mild concussion too. I came SO close to not wearing it that day cuz it was so freakin hot...so glad I did.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
dh girlie said:
Actually, yeah...it's not as common as snowboarding, that's for sure, but yeah some do...even some of the pro's.

And when you DO crash and get a head injury we will all laugh as you crap and drool all over yourself!

Actually it already sounds like you crashed and knocked yourself silly!
Gee thanks. Sounds like that guy from the "do you believe in curses thread!"

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
I Are Baboon said:
I had my back facing the bottom of the mountain and caught my downhill edge. Even with the helmet, my head hurt like hell.
Happened to me last year on my first ever blue run. Everything was going great, I felt in control and was having a blast. Then BAM, I caught my downhill edge, landed on my tailbone first, then head. Completely ruined the rest of the day. If I hadn't been wearing my helmet, it would have ruined a lot more than that.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Damn True said:
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA!

There is a medivac in your future son.
Whatever. I'm obviously preaching to the same group of people that took the fun out of football, hockey, and BB gun wars.
(ok the last one was a stretch but seriously!).