Quantcast

It's not always a bad thing when you crack your frame!

kellyn7

Monkey
Apr 12, 2005
San Diego
I had a Red 2007 Demo 8 that I had bought back at the beginning of this year. Well low and behold after a ride last week I was cleaning it and noticed that I had a crack running along the bottom of my bottom bracket shell. Well I went through the whole Specialzied warranty process which was cake and today I went to the bike shop and picked up my brand new Black and Gold 2008 Demo 8 II frame with the magnesium link. I crossed all my parts over from my 07 frame to the new one and then weighed it. My old Demo weighed
41lbs and 8 oz. and the 08 Demo weighs in at 40lbs and 14 oz. Not a signifigant change but it is a change for the better. I'll take a few pics tomorrow and post them here. Thanks Specialized for the great support!

Attachments

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
so you dropped 10 ounces. I wonder how much of that is in the magnesium link. I'd like to get one but want to know how much weight savings there are with it. I heard the prototypes were 100g lighter. Does anyone actually know?

I don't usually say something like this, but damn. That is an amazing buildup you've got there.

How's the double barrel on the demo? Nothing short of amazing I'd imagine. Tossing around the idea of getting one for my d7.

Well done chap.

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
my friend cracked he's iron horse sgs this past weekend. hopefully iron horse hooks him up like specialized hooked kellyn7 up.does anybody have any input with iron horse customer service with cracked frames ?

Sgt.Retro

Chimp
Jun 26, 2007
Franconia
my friend cracked he's iron horse sgs this past weekend. hopefully iron horse hooks him up like specialized hooked kellyn7 up.does anybody have any input with iron horse customer service with cracked frames ?

IrohHorse customer service is great, especially MikeL!

My frame wasn´t cracked, but my brandnew 06 Elite had wrong bearing seatings, and after posting some pics at the sunday thread and some e-mails with mike, they send me a brandnew, in the box 07 Worldcup frame within 2 weeks, without any problems!

I also have to thank IronHorse again on this way for solving my issue so good!

I also think that not only Specialized cares about his customers that way, there are sure some other great companys out there!

Maybe I´m wrong, but IronHorse is defintily one of them!

So now you all may have noticed, that I like IronHorse very well :busted:

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
you dont have any pictures of the crack on your old frame do you? i've got a buddy whose kona scab is starting to show some wear at the welds of the seat stay and seat tube so i was curious what yours looked like

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
for those in question of specialized warranty policies....

when i was turning wrenches about 2 yrs ago, a guy came into the shop with a 1987 s'ped hardtail (think it was a rockhopper). driveside chainstay cracked clean through at the drop out. he was the original owner. with receipts (somehow). within 2 weeks he had a brand new '06 s'ped hardtail, no questions asked.

kellyn7

Monkey
Apr 12, 2005
San Diego
you dont have any pictures of the crack on your old frame do you? i've got a buddy whose kona scab is starting to show some wear at the welds of the seat stay and seat tube so i was curious what yours looked like
I took pics but the resolution of the camera couldn't pick out the crack. Actually you could barely tell it was a crack, just a small hair-line crack running along the bottom-side of the bottom bracket shell. I had to take it outside in the natural light to even see it and it was probably only 1/8 inch long crack. I wouldn't have been afraid to ride if for another season but why do that when Specialized does such a good job backing up there warranties. Hmmm, maybe I should have waited another year when the 09's come out and then turn it in for warranty lol!

kellyn7

Monkey
Apr 12, 2005
San Diego
Sweet man, did you happen to weigh the 08' demo w/ shock? If so, what was the weight?
I did weigh the frame on a hanging digital scale but I didn't have the shock installed yet. The frame alone without anything installed weighed 9lbs 2oz. It's probably right at 11lbs with the double barrel shock and ti spring.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
I'd love to see the fine print in Spec's warranty. Those with 10 year old frames failing and getting replacements in my eyes are getting the new frame as a gift for being a past customer. It's awesome, by going completely above and beyond, but most warranty is for manufacturers defect. Usually defects announce themselves a wee bit sooner than that. :) Good on them for the hookups! Rare in a large company.

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
I have bad mouthed Specialized's CS on here before, while today I got the official warranty hookup from them, and need to keep the Karma in check. Cracked SX stays dropped off at the dealer last week, stays showed up today, and for a very good deal as well.

I find it a little annoying however, when people get a good warranty deal where a comapny goes out of there way/above and beyond what there warranty policy requires and then POSTS IT ALL OVER THE NET so every other ahole expects the same deal when there out of warrranty hucked to flat crap breaks. If you get hooked up yeah sure give props to the company but keep the details discreet.

edit: I am not implying that the poster did not deserve a warranty or hucked his bike to flat.