Quantcast

It's Not Supposed To Be Like This (Miss My SS)

Old_Dude

Monkey
Hey,

This was my 3rd time riding my new f/s geared bike . . . and it's nice & all . . . but, honestly, I feel like I'm lugging around a slow spongy brick compared to my nimble single speed.

The new bike has lock out front and rear suspension, but I went on a longish ride today and really missed my SS.

What's the deal? I thought if I spent $2K on a new bike I'd be in love!

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Does this mean I'm like a hard-core singlespeeder?

Thanks,

OD

soreback

Chimp
Feb 16, 2006
you dont say if your SS has front suspension. many SS are unsuspended around here where i am, a lessor amount are suspended. it could be that the trails youre riding does not require a FS bike. If you can hammer a trail on a unsuspended SS, then you probably dont need a FS on that trail.

of course theres energy transfer loss on a FS versus a hardtail or unsuspended bike. is your FS setup properly? correct spring or air pressure?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I went for a ride on my On One Inbred 29er tonight - holy crap did I have fun.

I still think I'll have fun on my big heavy long travel FS bike, but goddamn the single speed ride was awesome tonight.

mistermoto

Chimp
Feb 7, 2006
arizona
if that makes you a "hardcore singlespeeder" or not. Only you can answer that, my guess is you are probably well on your way though. I hate to ride anything but my SS for what... almost 3 years now?Ditch the squish... ditch the gears.
:monkey: You only drink the kool-aid once.:monkey:

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
A good friend of mine had a very similar issue to you. He was a "hardcore singlespeeder" who decided to "drink the kool-aid" and try a squish bike. He invested weellllllll over $2k building it up and never rode it.

About a year later he finally committed to getting used to it, rode it a lot and now likes it. It requires a different style and menality. Planning ahead for slower movements, etc.

IMO - SS's are some of the most fun bikes out there. You either get it or you don't. I never thought I would get into it (used to make fun of it), but I built one up for training and now it's one of my favorite ways to ride. The efficiency is unreal. Oh.. and it's rediculously fun.

Though I still ride my dh bike every chance I get.

bac

Monkey
Dec 14, 2006
Pennsylvania
Hey,

This was my 3rd time riding my new f/s geared bike . . . and it's nice & all . . . but, honestly, I feel like I'm lugging around a slow spongy brick compared to my nimble single speed.

The new bike has lock out front and rear suspension, but I went on a longish ride today and really missed my SS.

What's the deal? I thought if I spent $2K on a new bike I'd be in love!

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Does this mean I'm like a hard-core singlespeeder?

Thanks,

OD
I have had a similar experience. In 2003, I ordered a Santa Cruz Blur. They were very new, and hot at the time, so I had to wait over 3 months to get it. In that 3 month period, I bough a Bianchi SISS single speed. I rode it all the time, and loved it. When the Blur came in, it was all that was advertised - an amazing ride. However, I still rode my SS more, and enjoyed it more.

Since then, I'm guessing that I have about 10x as much time on my SS as my FS rig. I still enjoy them both, but the SS is my first choice.

... Brad

Old_Dude

Monkey
I will get the new Avid 7 disc brakes installed for this weekend's big ride. I am really looking forward to this weekend after riding the squishy for the last two weeks. Another thing I love is the maintenance - or lack thereof. Seems like the SS is more reliable.

Yes, the older I gets, the more I appreciate simpler stuff.

Ride on,

OD

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
My full squishy has been gathering dust since February but I rode it last night due to my SS's rear wheel being toast (new set on order :D). Man, it felt weird.

Aug 1, 2006
Newtown, CT
Well, I have heard some dudes that are getting long in the tooth complain about back pain riding a HT, and maybe that is why you went back or went to a sussy bike.

Personnally, I went from HT, to full sussy, back to hard tail (and rigid) and never felt better!

Worst case, you could always use a thudpost or what ever they call it from Cane Creek.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Well, I have heard some dudes that are getting long in the tooth complain about back pain riding a HT, and maybe that is why you went back or went to a sussy bike.

Personnally, I went from HT, to full sussy, back to hard tail (and rigid) and never felt better!

Worst case, you could always use a thudpost or what ever they call it from Cane Creek.

If you know people with that issue I would recommend trying a steel HT. Some aluminum frames are just too stiff for anything but racing or rediculously buff singletrack.

I am not "long in the tooth" but have had back pain issues on really, really, long endurance events. Next time I do a solo race, I'm gonna run a suspension seatpost.

Aug 1, 2006
Newtown, CT
If you know people with that issue I would recommend trying a steel HT. Some aluminum frames are just too stiff for anything but racing or rediculously buff singletrack.
I will have to check that out. My 29er is steal. I should ride that and then ride my other SS with both 26er wheels and see if there is a difference in the back. Later after my rides, my back doesn't hurt but its tight. Have to see if there is a difference.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Your seat can make a difference too. I have an I-beam that does'nt flex in the middle. That's been a sour subject lately. I didn't think it would make a difference because I almost never sit on the ss. But the times when I want to recover and sit end up compressing my spine.

Oct 9, 2003
I dusted of my old 95 Kona Fire Mountain and rigged it up singlespeed rigid just to try som xc after many years of freeriding. My Bullit has been collecting dust in the shack ever since. It's just so much fun, instant reaction and it forces you to think quick and pick the right lines. I mostly ride at night, which makes it even more fun.

Feb 13, 2006
I ride my SS for long rides if they're smooth, and if they're rough rides I ride a geared FS bike. Even with a cushy steel 29" Inbred SS ride there's still too much beating on the lower back and too much energy lost to little jockeying movements when I ride hardtail SS on long technical rides.

I prefer to "train" on my weekday rides with the SS as much as possible. It's quicker to fitness for me, as long as I ride smart and don't blow up all the time on the early season rides.

I like riding the FS bike though, it's a different kind of riding and a lot more fun on most of the longer and more technical rides that I do.

Aug 1, 2006
Newtown, CT
Holy cow, is there a difference (steel vs alum). Started riding the steel 29er and it rides less harsh and rolls things soooo much better. In fact, I did some small stuff that I have done in the past, only this time just went full bore at it and cleaned everything like it was nothing.