Quantcast

it's racism, not rocket-science

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
ok, maybe it's both: Field trip for black students sparks controversy at Ann Arbor elementary school
An Ann Arbor elementary school principal used a letter home to parents tonight to defend a field trip for black students as part of his school’s efforts to close the achievement gap between white and black students.

Dicken Elementary School Principal Mike Madison wrote the letter to parents following several days of controversy at the school after a field trip last week in which black students got to hear a rocket scientist.

“In hindsight, this field trip could have been approached and arranged in a better way," Madison wrote. "But as I reflect upon the look of excitement, enthusiasm and energy that I saw in these children’s eyes as they stood in the presence of a renowned African American rocket scientist in a very successful position, it gave the kids an opportunity to see this type of achievement is possible for even them.

“It was not a wasted venture for I know one day they might want to aspire to be the first astronaut or scientist standing on the Planet Mars.

“I also think it’s important that you know that I have talked to the children who did not go on the field trip, and I think they have a better understanding of the purpose of the AA Lunch Bunch now, as I hope you do. I’m sorry if any kids were upset by the field trip or my discussion afterwards with them, and I have let them know that.

“The intent of our field trip was not to segregate or exclude students as has been reported, but rather to address the societal issues, roadblocks and challenges that our African American children will face as they pursue a successful academic education here in our community.”
yes it is.

makes me so sick i could give queen latifah a cosby sweater

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I completely agree that this is a racist act.

/me is an overrepresented minority

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
After all, what chance does a white person have in America®?
should that be what it's about?

i should ask "what chance to short ppl have in the nba", or "...fat ppl in track". i use sports b/c it's the ultimate equalizer. this is the one true arena (!) where talent alone is the strongest & most accurate predictor of success.

you want to make your company more competitive for gov't contracts by hiring a more racially diverse workforce? fine. you start withholding educational opportunities from individual children b/c of the color of their skin, then you run afoul of civil rights. this doesn't even rise to "separate but equal"; it's beneath that.

wft do i know? i'm just a middle class white guy who grew up in [the american definition of] poverty & finally escaped it in his early 30's. not that money should be an indicator of success, but it certainly appears to be in today's consumer-based society.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
How the fvck is a field trip gonna help anyone?

As someone who went to school I would guess that in an average day of class I learned more than in all the field trips I ever went on.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Uptight frothers like el-stinko love these kinds of contrived controversies. By focusing on the journey rather than the destination they can express their outrage with red-faced indignation while completely ignoring the reasoning behind the field trip.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Uptight frothers like el-stinko love these kinds of contrived controversies. By focusing on the journey rather than the destination they can express their outrage with red-faced indignation while completely ignoring the reasoning behind the field trip.
I don't know if you know this......I hope he doesn't mind me saying.

But he is a white male in america. Far from me to judge what he's been through.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan

You don't know what he's seen man.....you don't know....he's seen..... stuff man.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

I'm guessing he has had to suffer severely through some horrible mini-van related warranty issues. Even worse, some sort of pick-up truck recall.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
A. I pretty sure there aren't any titled "rocket scientist" anymore, mostly engineers of some sort.

B. Rocket science isn't really all that awe inspiring, it's actually pretty simple.

C. Reading that principal's writing in that letter. Man, if his English composistion teachers teach to write like that, those students have worse problems than who did or didn't get to go on trips.

D. As far as who did or didn't get to go, I would prefer that a known demographically disadvantaged group get to see some positive role modeling rather than rap stars being their source of "what I should be".

E. I'm quite sure that the school has had other field trips for other groups that could be disected by race.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
should that be what it's about?

i should ask "what chance to short ppl have in the nba", or "...fat ppl in track". i use sports b/c it's the ultimate equalizer. this is the one true arena (!) where talent alone is the strongest & most accurate predictor of success.
Not according to Jimmy the Greek and Howard Cossell.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
By focusing on the journey rather than the destination...
are you saying i should focus on sending black ppl to mars? what, africa isn't far enough for you? just horrible, vb. horrible.
I'm guessing he has had to suffer severely through some horrible mini-van related warranty issues. Even worse, some sort of pick-up truck recall.
i could write a 16 candles blues ditty for the b-roll w/ the crap i've managed to survive.

HOA ridin' my ass about the hedges being too high for the equestrian easement, picking the wrong age of copper for the roof, or garrison-sized rebel flag being on too big a pole. you think a life of privilege makes me immune to struggle? even hitler was driven to write mein kampf for a reason.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
D. As far as who did or didn't get to go, I would prefer that a known demographically disadvantaged group get to see some positive role modeling rather than rap stars being their source of "what I should be".
Send all the poor kids then, not the black kids.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i think he is just having fun.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
something about the fifth of may puts me in a playful mood

so, happy fifth of may, crackas

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
HOA ridin' my ass about the hedges being too high for the equestrian easement, picking the wrong age of copper for the roof, or garrison-sized rebel flag being on too big a pole. you think a life of privilege makes me immune to struggle? even hitler was driven to write mein kampf for a reason.
I hate the views but I loves me some $tinkle

I guess that makes me like jesus.

Speaking of sinko my oh.

:weee:Tamale:weee:

Then recognize the hood I come from.

http://www.sierrasun.com/article/20100504/NEWS/100509985/1066&ParentProfile=1051

Officers responded to reports of a fight in the Donner Creek Mobile Home Park on West River Street at about 1:50 a.m. Saturday, police said. Officers followed trails of blood to one of the mobile homes, where they found three occupants with injuries allegedly from knives and a blunt object, and also found a bullet casing near the mobile home.

Classy!

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
ok, this is kinda funny - looks who's getting verklempt over the t-word:
The term "tea-bagger" is like uttering the "n" word, some say. Though he aspires to promote civility, evidence has surfaced that President Obama has added "tea-bagger" to his public lexicon, though it's considered a cheap and tawdry insult by "tea party" activists.
source

bagga puh-leeze

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
update: Michigan Elementary School Principal Investigated for Blacks-Only Class Trip
"The district is investigating the allegations of violation of the State of Michigan Proposal 2," a spokeswoman for the Ann Arbor, Mich., school district told FoxNews.com. "There was no ill-intent or malice in the principal and teachers planning this field trip," she added.

The principal, Mike Madison, who is black, said the trip was part of an effort to close the achievement gap between black and white students.
so they controlled for everything else, or is this b/c they cannot (home life, extracurriculars, etc.)?
But parents of students who were excluded protested, and the children who went on the trip were booed by their classmates when they returned to school.

Earlier this week, Madison tried to quash the controversy by sending a letter home to parents, in which he wrote:

“In hindsight, this field trip could have been approached and arranged in a better way.
in hindsight, slavery was wrong.
our bad.
"But as I reflect upon the look of excitement, enthusiasm and energy that I saw in these children’s eyes as they stood in the presence of a renowned African American rocket scientist in a very successful position, it gave the kids an opportunity to see this type of achievement is possible for even them.
"even them?" if that doesn't offend you, then neither can this "look of excitement, enthusiasm and energy that I saw in these children’s eyes"

“The intent of our field trip was not to segregate or exclude students, as has been reported,
yes it was.
But Madison's explanation only fueled the controversy, and parental complaints turned into allegations that the school had violated Proposal 2, a newly enacted Michigan law that bans racial preference in public schools.
don't we already have some sort of federal law that addresses this?
But district spokeswoman Liz Margolis said that bridging the gap in test scores between white and black students was a serious issue that legitimized the trip. Plus, she said, the field trip was paid for by a private donation.
so there's going to be a test on this? and how can the white kids study if they don't have the material? and what does private funding have to do w/ anything? it's a public school