Quantcast

it's safe to taser preggo women

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Well, once she's lawfully under arrest and passively resisting, the police have to do something other than just say "pretty please." I guess they could just box her car in and wait 'till she's bored enough to get out on her own...I'd probably prefer that that see my name and department in the headlines for this. Of course, once she got out, they'd still have to arrest her, and it'd be "three white cops arrest and brutalize pregnant woman!" since it doesn't sound like she was willing to accept the fact that she was, legitimately, under arrest. And if they had to wait four hours to clear up a simple traffic violation, it hardly seems like an economical use of their time--still, compared to dealing with this in court and the press, four hours on the side of the road is nothing...

I think supervisors might show this case as an example of when to take a softer tack for the greater overall good.

Still, being pregnant doesn't give you a free pass to speed, buck legal procedure, or resist arrest when you don't like it. Got a problem with the ticket? Talk to a judge in court.

(Signing the ticket is the equivalent of posting bond, and not an admission of guilt...it's the way *out* of an otherwise arrestable offense...)

Summary: Legal? Yeah. Smart? Probably not the best move, PR- and otherwise.

Edit: Lemme amend that to say, after a minute of cogitation, if you can't figure out another way to work this one, or see the cost-benefit of NOT tasering a pregnant woman, you probably are in need of at least some remedial training, if not a smack in the face. Let her drive off, show the dash-cam footage to a judge, and let a summons arrive in the mail a week later and she can explain why she's such a bitch to the man behind the bench, who will hopefully make the experience much more painful and consequential than a speeding ticket woulda been.

Last edited:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Well, once she's lawfully under arrest and passively resisting
She wasn't.

She argued that under Washington law, the officers had no authority to take Brooks into custody: Failure to sign a traffic infraction is not an arrestable offense, and it's not illegal to resist an unlawful arrest.

You know who made that argument? The dissenting judge.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hY3TQyq2-oF_rmAAf_TuzN0PzQ7wD9EMJ3HG0

She got tortured for not respecting their authoritai, that's all.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I'd been reading a different article which did say it was an arrestable offense when the incident occurred. (edit: rather, a thread of comments on a different article.) Would change the situation massively if it wasn't.

Last edited: