Quantcast

i've outgrown my bike...

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
well, today is a sad day. I ride a drilled turner dhr and i love it. The geo and everything works great for me in most situations, its just at the age of 15 i am now 6'3. In every picture and video i see of myself i am either off the back or cramped up front, its just not working. Does anyone have any suggestions on a bike that is gunna be low, slack, have a long tt, and a 45"ish wheelbase to keep it pretty quick and hopefully the suspension takes square edged hits a little bit better.
I like how 17" sundays feel but I am not a fan of 19"s. large v10's seem ok, how does the m3 compare? the judge seems pretty appealing as does the 303, but unless i start winning nationals i dont think i could afford a yeti.

Now this is still a ways away from when i can afford it, but I would like to try and line some options up...

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Will,

The Ventena frame looks pretty sweet, also the new cove looks dope as well...Chumbas are pretty nice too.

DS Dom

Monkey
Nov 14, 2001
Denver, Co
Red Bull said:
I like how 17" sundays feel but I am not a fan of 19"s. large v10's seem ok, how does the m3 compare? the judge seems pretty appealing as does the 303, but unless i start winning nationals i dont think i could afford a yeti. [/QUOTE]

Sorry I dont have really anything usefull to add but I thought this was really funny. Winning nationals will likley leave your bank account lower than it was before you started.

In all seriousness, meet up with some people, ride some other peoples bikes and go with what works.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
why not get a new DHR? You get credit to a new one don't you something like 600?

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Will,

Giant Faith's with flipped links seem to be hot right now too, once the link is flipped they are super low and ride really nice.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
rockymt21 said:
Will,

Giant Faith's with flipped links seem to be hot right now too, once the link is flipped they are super low and ride really nice.

people taking lil' johns advice too seriously. "GET LOWWW!!! YEAAAAA!" sorry i had to.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I second the Morewood. I am shorter then thou, but I promise I have a few pounds, and I know they hold up. The large is, well, LARGE, might be good for your lanky frame!

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
rockymt21 said:
Will,

HOLD THE PHONE..you are saying, my bike will fit me if i flip the links..:help:..jon want to help on that since ur here in the 201.

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
rockymt21 said:
Will,

can some one post a pic? i want to see what this looks like.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
So the "geo is great and works for you in almost all situations", but your willing to give that up because of how you look in pictures? Hmmm, I'm lost :help:

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
honestly man if you are looking for something that is great on square edges i say go with the 303 cause well that is what that suspension design was designed around so you know it works great. id stay away from a single piviot for square edges, but that is just me. the vpp design i would think would work great but i dont really know, and the dw link seems to be the best all around suspension design around today so i dont know man. i dont think you can go wrong unless you go single piviot but that is just me.

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
Well except for RockyMT21's advice this seems to have turned into a "I ride this, buy one too" thread. So I will join in.

Will, the large giant faith is a nice bike. I personally like my downhill bikes to be long because I like the feeling of the roomy toptube going fast, and I just like the way a bigger bike rides (for downhill). They just feel more stable. Im 6', and I would ride a 19'' sunday.

your free to try my bike. With a 7'' boxxer with a drop crown and the stanctions at their tallest point clamped, and 2.5'' tires the bb sits at about 13.9.

I think that you might also like a large v10, it seemed like every other kid going by in expert this weekend had one.

adam

IronhorseCT

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
Trumbull,CT
Will,

next race we are at or whatever, swing through and take out one of our large izimu frames. One of our team guys is 6'3" and left a turner for the Morewood.

Brennan

MTBrder6969

Chimp
Aug 1, 2005
Collegeville, PA
Will-
I'm gonna have to jump on the boat and say go with the Morewood. I love mine, and even though we all know I'm nowhere near fast, the bike has a lot more potential than what I can bring out in it. And on top of that, the parts spec is awesome, and the customer service is flat out amazing.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
The times I have seen you ride it looks like the bike fits. If you are unhappy why don't you get a large DHR? That seems like the most logical solution. You would be able to drill it and hop on and be immiediatly comfortable.

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
bballe336 said:
The times I have seen you ride it looks like the bike fits. If you are unhappy why don't you get a large DHR? That seems like the most logical solution. You would be able to drill it and hop on and be immiediatly comfortable.
The kid is obviously very concerned with his image...so I don't think the large DHR is going to do it for him. The seatmast on the large isn't very pretty.

Will, what about the 19 Sunday isn't doing it for you? It is about as close to what you described as you can get.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
konabiker said:
The kid is obviously very concerned with his image...so I don't think the large DHR is going to do it for him. The seatmast on the large isn't very pretty.

Will, what about the 19 Sunday isn't doing it for you? It is about as close to what you described as you can get.
sure the seatpost isnt the prettiest thing, but that extra length in the wheelbase takes away from the bikes quickness that i like so much on the 17". My friend has one set up pretty close to my weight and it just doesent feel right to me with its length. Im trying to find out hwat would feel similar to my dhr just with a longer cockpit and a little more supple of a bike...

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
Fonzie18 said:
I dunno man, I have a large M3 and it's not very large. I'm 6'2" and it feels a bit short.
tt wise? or lengthwise? because I definitely wouldent mind a reasonably short bike with a longer tt, and i have been liking the idea of a m3.

mickey, i'd need to talk to you about bike setup before i even consider it...

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Um, to you need to make the wheelbase longer to make the "cockpit" longer bucko! Your're not going to get a bike that is magically longer while still being the same length!

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
SuspectDevice said:
Um, to you need to make the wheelbase longer to make the "cockpit" longer bucko! Your're not going to get a bike that is magically longer while still being the same length!
yeah i know, i just want to see if there was a bike that would be roomier but almost as short? if that makes any sense...

go on aim.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
aha! my friend ricky just gave me a few tips.

1- get a bar with less sweep, he noticed mine had a ton last weekend...

2- my levers are too high up. if you watch me in dans video im in a weird crouch that i now see is because im straining to reach my levers and stay upright. If i drop them down a bit i can stay in a more nuetral position on the bike, therefore allowing me to fit more naturally on the bike.

maybe i can ride a 17" suday after all :)

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
mxer338 said:
get a longer stem and a layback post as a bandaid for the rest of the year.
i have a 60mm romic integrated stem, so thats set, and a layback post will do nothing, i dont sit down.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
A layback post will still make your TT feel longer. At least scoot your seat back on the rails.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
A 10-20mm longer stem would make the top tube feel much longer without changing the wheelbase. Also, raising the bars a bit will make the bike feel bigger. I know everybody says lower is better, but at your height, you should be running some spacers.
I'm 6'1" and I ride a large DHR. I know guys taller riding a med.