Quantcast

I've said this before but I'm pretty sure it can't be said enough.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
binary visions said:
Nice custom title.

Candian bacon isn't bacon. It's ham.

Ham is fine, too, but bacon kicks ass.
Bacon is pork also. Hrm...

I think because it's canadian it's just not as good. That's my theory. Nothing in Canada is as good as here....garbage men, money, bacon....

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
my wife had an amazing salad last friday...spinach, bacon, parm cheese. sounds simple, eh? but the parm was shavings (think potato peeler) of parm reggiano, and the bacon was this wonderfully smoked and thick sliced stuff, probably close to an inch thick.

:drool:

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
narlus said:
my wife had an amazing salad last friday...spinach, bacon, parm cheese. sounds simple, eh? but the parm was shavings (think potato peeler) of parm reggiano, and the bacon was this wonderfully smoked and thick sliced stuff, probably close to an inch thick.

I just drooled on myself.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
narlus said:

I love Spinach salad! We just had some last night in fact...ours was served with diced hardboiled egg, thick bacon and a little parm cheese as well; topped with a homemade dressing :thumb:

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
And a great quote by Homer J Simpson....

Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Ham?
Lisa: No.
Homer: Pork chops?
Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.
Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
TreeSaw said:
I love Spinach salad! We just had some last night in fact...ours was served with diced hardboiled egg, thick bacon and a little parm cheese as well; topped with a homemade dressing :thumb:

Man I love warm bacon spinach salad. Fry off some bacon, remove to paper towels, drain most of the fat, and remove any black and burned bacon bits. Then wisk in some red wine or sherry vinegar to the pan, making sure you scrape up the remaining crispy bits, and season to taste. It should still be warm but if not, reheat just a bit. Then pour over a salad of spinach, chopped egg, maybe some red onion, and toss with the bacon and some cheese - parm works or you can do feta or chevre - and maybe a few croutons if you've got em. Yum!!

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
There's a ski area kind of by where I live, Silver Mt, that has a restaurant at the bottom of the Gondola called Terrible Edith's. They have this Ravioli stuffed with Spinach and Prosciutto and then the Alfredo over the top has bacon in it. There is no better way to end a day on the slopes than the stuffed raviolis at Terrible Edith's washed down with beverage of choice!:love:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
yessssss..
I just had 4 pieces. I was gonna have 2 but there was 4 left & you just cant leave 2 slices right?

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
we have the infamous yellow corn crusted back bacon and it's unreal on the BBQ but nothing beats Shneiders Bacon in the convection oven.
yummy electolites.

side note>>it's 12C and sunny here in Toronto..vary rare

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
SkaredShtles said:
Absolutely. It's horrific for me to even *THINK* about drinking beer with creamy pasta. :eek:
Well, it is horrific for me to even think about drinking wine, since i have drank enough of the stuff on different occasions that I ended up with hangovers so bad it hurt to just open my eyes!! No wine drinky for me!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
and then the spaghetti alla carbonara the next night...although i could feel my arteries hardening w/ every mouthful.

goddamn was that awesome. Cooks Illustrated comes through again.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
narlus said:
and then the spaghetti alla carbonara the next night...although i could feel my arteries hardening w/ every mouthful.

goddamn was that awesome. Cooks Illustrated comes through again.
Carbonara kicks ass. We only have it once every few months, but goddam is it tasty. :drool:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
it was definitely unhealthy though...the recipe didn't call for draining the bacon fat; instead you cooked the bacon in olive oil, then deglazed w/ 1/2 cup of white wine and simmer ~6-8 min....this gets put over the pasta after the cheese/egg mixture is blended in. one good tip was to warm a bowl in the oven while you are cooking. this helps cook the egg/cheese mix when you put it in w/ the pasta and keeps it from lumping.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
narlus said:
it was definitely unhealthy though...the recipe didn't call for draining the bacon fat; instead you cooked the bacon in olive oil, then deglazed w/ 1/2 cup of white wine and simmer ~6-8 min....this gets put over the pasta after the cheese/egg mixture is blended in. one good tip was to warm a bowl in the oven while you are cooking. this helps cook the egg/cheese mix when you put it in w/ the pasta and keeps it from lumping.
There's nothing you can do with proper carbonara to make it healthy. Nothing. If carbonara is healthy then it has been ruined.

It's like healthy cheesecake. It just ain't the same as proper cheesecake. :D

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
narlus said:
MMM, carbonara is one of my faves. Did the wine and oil give you a loose and oily texture, like a "broken" sauce? I cook off the bacon in a pan big enough to hold the pasta, turn off the heat, drain the bacon on paper towels, and drain most but not all the fat - leave maybe a tablespoon or so. Then I toss cooked pasta in the warm pan, getting a coating of bacon fat and picking up all the little cripsy bits, then add the bacon and a mixture of eggs, parm, and a little cream or milk - just enough to keep it smooth, not like a heavy cream sauce. No need for the separate bowl and one less to clean. When I hit it right the sauce is really light and eggy, almost frothy if you know what I mean, not oily or heavily cheasy. Maybe not traditional like some of the dry clumpy stuff I've been served but man is it good. Come to think of it, I am overdue, haven't had it in a while...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
OGRipper said:
MMM, carbonara is one of my faves. Did the wine and oil give you a loose and oily texture, like a "broken" sauce? I cook off the bacon in a pan big enough to hold the pasta, turn off the heat, drain the bacon on paper towels, and drain most but not all the fat - leave maybe a tablespoon or so. Then I toss cooked pasta in the warm pan, getting a coating of bacon fat and picking up all the little cripsy bits, then add the bacon and a mixture of eggs, parm, and a little cream or milk - just enough to keep it smooth, not like a heavy cream sauce. No need for the separate bowl and one less to clean. When I hit it right the sauce is really light and eggy, almost frothy if you know what I mean, not oily or heavily cheasy. Maybe not traditional like some of the dry clumpy stuff I've been served but man is it good. Come to think of it, I am overdue, haven't had it in a while...
nope, the sauce was perfect. people @ Cooks Illustrated are pretty anal in getting the details right, and this worked great. the warmed bowl isn't really an extra one to clean; it's the serving bowl, and much easier to mix everything as compared to a large frypan or saute pan. the recipe didn't call for any cream or milk either, and it called for 2 different kinds of parm; 1/4 cup pecorino and 3/4 reggiano.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
narlus said:
nope, the sauce was perfect. people @ Cooks Illustrated are pretty anal in getting the details right, and this worked great. the warmed bowl isn't really an extra one to clean; it's the serving bowl, and much easier to mix everything as compared to a large frypan or saute pan. the recipe didn't call for any cream or milk either, and it called for 2 different kinds of parm; 1/4 cup pecorino and 3/4 reggiano.
Cool, I'll have to check it out. I am sometimes put off by how precise they are at Cook's Illustrated - I'm more of a method guy than a strict recipe follower - but they definitely do the research.

It's funny, being a "family" of two, my girl and I don't usually have a serving bowl - it just goes from pan to plate. But we are uncivilized. :) I use a 4 (maybe 5, not sure) quart chef's pan with tall, rounded sides, not a saute pan, and can toss a pound of pasta no problem.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
OGRipper said:
<snip>
It's funny, being a "family" of two, my girl and I don't usually have a serving bowl - it just goes from pan to plate. But we are uncivilized. :) I use a 4 (maybe 5, not sure) quart chef's pan with tall, rounded sides, not a saute pan, and can toss a pound of pasta no problem.
Most of the time our family of 5 uses this method. Big trivet and the pan goes right on the table. Although I have a few nice Italian serving bowls that are nice to break out if we're feeling decadent. :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I usually eat straight out of what the food was cooked in. Other than pots and pans the only dishes I have to clean are from cereal.:rolleyes: