Quantcast

Jagwire Hydro Hose?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Has anyone had good luck with Jagwire Kevlar hydro hose?

I'd be using it with Hayes Mags, not that it makes a difference.

I've had poor performance from Hayes steel-braided, and good experience with Hayes standard black Kevlar (although it's prone to kinking). I was planning to stick with the stock black hose, but thought I'd ask anyway...

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Hangin' with Riggs and Mertah
The last two bike shops that I worked at last both claimed that it is more terrible than the regular housing that comes with your brakes.

The last place that I worked at sold it and declared that once they sold out of it that they would not replenish their stocks because of its failure rate.

They also claimed that it is the worst cable to pruchase for hydraulic disc brakes on the market. Anybody elses is better.

Only the Jagwire hydraulic brake hose is poorly made they claimed...

I have never seen it on a bike or stopped to notice a problem hose with my own two eyes. Not alot of people use it i figure so it is hard to tell if that story is real.

arcteryx33

Chimp
Mar 20, 2002
Philly PA
I put it on my old hayes a while back and it made them feel much better. Never had any problems with em and never kinked like the regular stock line. A few of the other guys a ride with use it also have nothing bad to say about it.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
Originally posted by Drunken_Ninja
The last two bike shops that I worked at last both claimed that it is more terrible than the regular housing that comes with your brakes.

The last place that I worked at sold it and declared that once they sold out of it that they would not replenish their stocks because of its failure rate.

They also claimed that it is the worst cable to pruchase for hydraulic disc brakes on the market. Anybody elses is better.

Only the Jagwire hydraulic brake hose is poorly made they claimed...

I have never seen it on a bike or stopped to notice a problem hose with my own two eyes. Not alot of people use it i figure so it is hard to tell if that story is real.
well there's an opinion you can take to the bank....:dead:

Rev.Chuck

Monkey
Apr 11, 2003
Raleigh, NC
I have installed it on three customer bikes. They have made no complaints(Putting the jagwire on was their idea), and these guys would if it had given any problems. It is exspensive, some of the banjo fittings are more than $10. The stuff is nice for a sano, custom fitup

auntesther

Monkey
Oct 15, 2001
Boston, MA
Originally posted by ohio

I've had poor performance from Hayes steel-braided, and good experience with Hayes standard black Kevlar (although it's prone to kinking). I was planning to stick with the stock black hose, but thought I'd ask anyway...
my hayes braided ones were horrible until I got RazorRock levers and had the brakes re-bled. I used to think that the lines were swelling and making the brakes all mushy but now I think it may have been the levers flexing. the RR are worlds better than the stock hayes.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I used it 2 years ago and hated it. They may have changed it since, but on my dh bike with Hayes the line would kink in no time. I felt like I won the lottery when I found a long enough length of the older black Hayes line.
I also put it on a rear Shimano XT disc to get a custom fit (I drilled out a cable stop to route the line so I didn't want the fixed ends) and you can actually see the line expand when you squeeze the lever. At the time they made the line in 2 psi burst strength ratings and I was using the stronger of the 2.
On a side note, a friend who works with hydraulics suggested getting industrial type hosing. Haven't tried to track any down.

BAC5.2

Chimp
Feb 20, 2003
Originally posted by ohio

The Hayes Steel braided hoses have the same interior (the actual part that holds the fluid) as the stock Black. The Steel Braided simply resisted kinking better because of obvious reasons.

The hose is identical, in every fluid sense, but the steel braided simply doesn't kink as much as the standard black resin hose did.

Jagwire makes some good stuff. I'll replace my hose with it if my steel braided decides to take a **** on me.