Quantcast

Jail???

igotabike

Chimp
Nov 8, 2003
atx
dudes... sorry to hear about the getting arrested for digging. im still kinda in shock but i gotta say the rest of us still support ya'll. if you need any help ill try to find some expert witnesses for court or something cuz yall dont need to be going down for that sheot. much love from the 26 crew.

Yeti Boy

Chimp
Aug 11, 2003
Austin Tx REPRESENT!!
dougs dad called in (he works for the law) and he said theyre gettin out tomorow morning and they face up to 4000 dollars or one year in jail i think he said it was a class a misdameanor

maggotbrain

Chimp
Dec 24, 2001
atx
luckily not me.dirty and joe only.this whole deal sucks ass.
keep your eyes peeled, the five O are always on the creep.
good luck homies.-T

Crash_Tested

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
wCo
They also creep on the forums so watch what ya "say" here and there about unmentionables. An officer that was investigating the SW trails mentioned this to a MoJo.

dirtyj

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
austin
well boys I'm back. Them mofos couldn't hold me for long. FYI jail sucks@ss. ya your right Downhil it was just a matter of time.
Thay got use for criminal mischief. Well we steel have 9th street,
so Its all good.

dougcyprus

Chimp
Jan 13, 2004
hey dirty j
since my dad is a lawyer he can hook up with one. he doesn't practice criminal law ne more. but ya, if u dont allready have one then u should call David Grassbaugh 472-8724, and tell him that russell ramirez told u about him.

u know if TRU is goin to still stand?

dirtyj

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
austin
thats looken pretty good there onehittah,
thanks doug I will consider it. Me and joe have to come up with something. Its nice to know a bunch of freinds that know lawyers.

Well theres not much to tell on what happend. We got cought building trail. we went to jail. we got out. he did try to get use for more then what was going down. funk that guy.

chinoloco

Chimp
Aug 26, 2003
Austin, TX
let me know if you need any help too. Gotta a few friends that are lawyers. One deals with enviromental law. She might know how to get around this one.

PEACE

igotabike

Chimp
Nov 8, 2003
atx
so i heard they bulldozed sundays trails at 11 this morning(saturday) we gotta do something to stop those power crazed idiots

mountaingoat

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
Hell Paso Texas
:dead: That totally SUCKS.. Access is always an issue, damn commies.. Funk the trail police.. Freeride 4ever.. Hope yall can still come down for our gathering... mountaingoat:evil:

igotabike

Chimp
Nov 8, 2003
atx
i saw on the news last night that sunday went out to rebuild his jumps this week and got arrested. the city said the thing they have a problem with was the holes between the jumps. they even had a picture of a worker standing in the hole. i guess they just need to buy dirt like at ninth street

dburatti

Chimp
Jul 19, 2001
Austin, TX
I've been communicating with a man who lives in the Bouldin Creek neighborhood and is actively involved in the neighborhood association. They had a meeting with the city, and everyone agreed on two things. First, they agreed that they wanted the charges against the guys dropped. Second, they want the guys to use legal channels to get the jumps rebuilt in the same park. I'm scheduled to meet the man at the park to assess it for sustainability tomorrow.

maggotbrain

Chimp
Dec 24, 2001
atx
whats it gonna take for the same thing to happen to TRU?not the bulldozing but the making it legal?does anyone have any pull with politicians or know anyone with powerful influence who would be wiling to help or point us in the right direction?

SAVE THE WHA- oops TRAILS

Crash_Tested

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
wCo
oh how i miss the breakfast taco's in the 04. I have to drive far enough to get tacos up north I might as well head all the way to taco-express. "Its a way of life"

dburatti

Chimp
Jul 19, 2001
Austin, TX
From the Statesman today:

Parks department to rebuild BMX track
Questions linger about criminal charges

By Jeremy Schwartz

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Monday, February 23, 2004

A month after demolishing an unofficial BMX track in South Austin and arresting four riders who were building ramps, the city parks department is working with those same BMXers to rebuild the course.

Austin parks department officials said the track, which was built by neighborhood youths over more than two years, was a safety hazard and likened it to vandalism. But the destruction of the track triggered anger from neighborhood leaders, who said the riders cleaned up trash, helped clear transients from the park and weren't a nuisance.

Park officials met with neighbors last week to discuss a solution and plan to meet further in coming weeks.

"We want to work with the neighborhood and the BMXers to see how we can best do a course that provides recreation and at the same time make it safe and minimize damage to the surrounding environment," said Warren Struss, the acting parks director. "We're all on the same page."

Struss said he expects the cost of rebuilding the track to be nominal and hopes that BMX riders will help design and build a new course.

"I don't see any major obstacles," he said.

Jason Sunday, a nationally prominent rider and one of the four men arrested, said he is willing to take part in the reconstruction and is looking forward to some bigger and nicer jumps.

"If they're willing to help us out, that'd be cool," he said. "I'm a little over it now. I'm pretty sure it'll turn out for the better. . . . I just hope the charges get dropped."

That's looking more like a possibility, according to city and county officials. The four riders could receive six months in jail and $2,000 fines for the Class B charges of criminal mischief, and Travis County Attorney David Escamilla said a final decision could be made as early as this week.

"We've had contact with the City of Austin, as we would with any victim, and it's our understanding that they're less inclined to see punishment assessed than to work with these defendants to work toward positive improvements to the park," said Escamilla, whose office would prosecute the case.

Cory Walton, president of the Bouldin Creek Neighborhood Association, said the city and neighborhood would like to create a track similar to one in Duncan Park, where BMXers have operated a city-sanctioned course for more than a decade.

At Duncan Park, at Ninth Street and Lamar Boulevard, riders truck in dirt for ramps instead of digging holes and have a liability agreement with the city. City officials said that at the Bouldin course, riders dug dangerously deep holes, did not provide erosion control measures and never asked the city for permission.

But neighbors said the track was a good use for an underutilized piece of parkland.

"We all agreed the bikers were doing more good for the park than ill," Walton said.

Chris Milam, a local developer, has pledged $10,000 toward engineering studies for a new course, saying he was impelled to act after reading about the incident.

"It's more heavy-handedness from the city," he said. "There was no dialogue, no nothing. . . . It was a raw deal."

Struss called Milam's potential donation a "wonderful offer" but said it's unclear whether it will be needed. Struss said the new track would be built in the same area as the former one, just west of Bouldin Creek.

jschwartz@statesman.com; 445-3616