Quantcast

Jamaica FAT tyre festival 2008-roots,rocks,rum,reggae

smorba

Chimp
Dec 14, 2006
Smorba's second attempt at world dominance takes place on Feb 5-10th 2008. Our basic format is similar to last years, we will be based in Ocho Rios and head out via shuttle bus every day for some great riding. I should have improved the trails a little [they were good already!] and the driving bits should be easier and quicker due to improving road conditions . Check out the myspace site for more info and some cool pics of this years event. Also everyone should buy 26 magazine, mainly because our friend Ian Hylands is one of the head honchos of said mag and he will need lots of Appleton money for Jamaica, and also cos there should be some of his photo's of JA in there [and his photos are the dog's bollocks so you need to own them] Kind of digressing a bit here. Remember that spaces are limited because of logistical issues and simply because we want to keep it that way, if you want to come let me know soon.

www.myspace.com/smorbaja

two wheels,one love

Andy

smorba

Chimp
Dec 14, 2006
don't know if you saw the June 07 article in Decline but Cam McCaul, Kyle Ebbett, Katrina Strand and Kathy Pruitt thought it was the most fun thing ever!

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
I was in there with I-Doc as well. This year will be my 10th year riding in Jamaica and my 9th year riding with SMORBA members and all I can say is this is the best value for dollar festival in existance. If you like desolate beaches, waterfalls and lush trails with no barb wire the St. Mary's district is the riding capitol of Jamaica. Last years riders are members of our clubs on facebook so if you want to ride in Jamaica give SMORBA a call and join the clubs.
smorba> http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2825645551
mountain bike Jamaica> http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5188695274
and smorba> www.myspace.com/smorbaja
and big ups SMORBA.
and cool vibes monkeys
madman

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
WTF? A mt bike event in Jamaica and no mention of weed, pot, ganja, or mary jane? :confused:
It goes w/o saying. Do Paris tourists need to be reminded of the Eiffel Tower? Also, it is technically illegal there and visitors need not be encouraged to flout their host nation's laws.

Oh, to sample the Lamb's Bread in the cradle of reggae...to say nothing of biking there.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
It goes w/o saying. Do Paris tourists need to be reminded of the Eiffel Tower? Also, it is technically illegal there and visitors need not be encouraged to flout their host nation's laws.

Oh, to sample the Lamb's Bread in the cradle of reggae...to say nothing of biking there.
Don't foget di Westmoreland mon.

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
Don't foget di Westmoreland mon.
actually the fest used to take place in the Westmoreland Hills outside Negril. Only someone who has been there would know about those majical hills.
Wonder if I know you since I have attended 8/9 fat tyres there?

last years fest revue a la madmantours:
day 1-shuttle from Ocho to Pimento Hill where we began with the John Crow Gully. Then we hoofed it back up and descended down the infamous Carlton Pass an ancient path that leads down to Robin's Bay via a sweet ridge trail that begins at the ocean. Before entering the ridge trail you have a few choices......waterfall or beach. We chose Quarman's Falls.

day 2-Back to Pimento Hill but this time we went to Black Sand Beach where there was a full on Jamaican meal waiting right down to a huge exotic fruit table and massive amounts of drinks. From there we were loaded onto an old fishing boat[Steve's] and taken back to the pick up point on the edge of Robin's Bay.

day 3-Began with a shuttle atop Murphy Hill at 1700' where we descended down to and through Dunn's River Falls made famous by Hans Ray a decade ago when he trials rode down the Falls. Only Andy and myself did the second half of the slippery trail that flowed in and out of the Falls and we ended up at the John Crow Tavern in Ocho where breakfast was waiting for us. To be fair the crew was hung over...very hung over. nuff said. From there we were shuttled atop Hamilton Mtn. in Orcabesca where the Rambo Race was to be held the following day. McCaul and Ebbett were there building some big jumps for the demo after the race. We did laps and then descended down the mountain to a beach BBQ chill out at Concious Corners.
One hell of a day.

day 4-National Rambo Race and Demo Day atop Hamilton Mtn. I can not describe that day it was so huge. Huge Ass Sound System, jerk bbq's abundant, drink venders, a cock fight and the most Jamaicans I have yet to see at a Fat Tyre Festival. I can only say that it ended at James Bond Beach where we were invited to swim with the stingrays and relax in comfort. I stunted in a trials like fashion till I dropped. So many lines.

there was a very small fee for the 4 days of shuttle, food, gig bags and trails galore and much more. If you have ever wanted to ride in Jamaica this is the event.
You can find all inclusive deals in Ocho Rio so give I-Doc[Andy] a call cause the bus is filling up FAST.....

cool vibes all u monkeys and big ups SMORBA
marshall

last years pics on hylands site http://www.digitalrailroad.net/ihylands/Production/PhotoGroupView.aspx?pbid=4&msa=1&pgid=7614463

smorba

Chimp
Dec 14, 2006
thanks for the big ups trailblazer,

good point bout Ganja not being mentioned and even better point by llkoolkeg. I think it is worth mentioning that a) ganja is illegal and b) we have never seen any police on our trails.

I think our swag bag actually had a local brand of rizzla in it this year.

Anyway it's a fun fest, not for spandexy racer types who sleep in oxygen tents.

I will post an updated itinerary for next years event in a day or two for anyone who is interested or you can email at smorbaja@hotmail.com

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
February 6 is Bob Marley's Birthday and every year for 10+ years I have gone there I have been there that night. It is a very special night if there is a live show known as a "Bashment" and when the festival was in Negril there was a 2 day show every year at Rita Marley's place...MX111. It has not seen a live show in over 2 years now.
Last year his family, Stephen, Jr. Gong, Jullian, Ziggy and the rest of his family played live at 9 mile* a remote spot that I saw as a rare ride I must do as it looked like a 3 hour mountain hike. I planned on attending but it landed mid fest so I would have had to sacrifice a tour. Also...SMORBA pleaded with me not to do the insane mountain ride there......soon come.

This is also the 10th aniversary of the Festival and I am expecting some special people to show up...more on that when it's all ayeet.

*Bob's final resting spot

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
2008 Jamaican Fat Tyre Festival press release:
The St. Mary Off-Road Bicycling Association (SMORBA) is pleased to announce that the coolest mountain bike event on the planet is back! The 10th Annual Jamaica Fat Tyre Festival is set for February 5-10 in the lush, tropical mountains of St. Mary. This year’s event will feature even more of the “irie vibes” that were featured in the June 2007 issue of Decline Magazine.
The Festival is set to kick off with a welcome and registration party on the evening of February 5th at John Crow’s Tavern (the Festival HQ) located in the heart of Ocho Rios – the vibes capital of Jamaica’s beautiful North Coast.
On the first full day of the Festival riders will shuttle up to Murphy Hill, perched high above Ocho Rios. After taking in the view it will be time to let brakes overheat on the blistering descent to world reknown Dunn’s River Falls. After regrouping at John Crow’s, the crew heads out to the friendly communities of Oracabessa, Hamilton Mtn, and Jacks River. Checking out SMORBA’s trails in western St. Mary is sure to prepare riders for the after-ride relaxation and the evening’s festivities at “Conscious Corner” bar in Rio Nuevo.
February 7th will see participants going deep into rural Jamaica near Robin’s Bay, St. Mary. These amazing, technical singletracks (including the famed Carlton Pass) are the trails that led Katrina Strand to proclaim “This is the best day of my life… and it isn’t even over yet!” This epic day will culminate with a complimentary meal at Eva’s bar in Robin’s Bay.
On February 8th riders will trek to Pimento Hill in St Mary for a more relaxed day of singletrack, downhills, and waterfalls ending at Black Sand Beach where a meal of roast breadfruit and other local dishes will be prepared by local SMORBA dude, Natty Grant. In what has already become a favorite tradition of the JaFTF, local fishermen will shuttle riders from the beach to the pick up point by boat!
February 9th is a day for riders to relax and take in the fabulous surroundings of Ocho Rios. Shopping at Island Village, chilling at the beach or checking out Shaw Park Gardens, Ocho Rios has many entertaining options. SMORBA will also offer an optional afternoon excursion to White River Adventure Park for some tubing tomfoolery.
February 10th is the day for Jamaicans to show off their own local riding skills. Dubbed “A celebration of Jamaican Bicycling Culture” the Jamaica Bicycle Bash is designed to provide a unique, fun-filled atmosphere centered around all things bicycle. Highlights will include a 5 mile race looping through Oracabessa, a “Gas Done” gas cylinder carrying race, a “Big Man, Small Bicycle” race, demo’s, and many other games and contests that are sure to provide great entertainment!
Spots for this year’s Festival are limited, so if you are interested in attending, or need more information, drop us a line at smorbaja@hotmail.com and check out www.myspace.com/smorbaja
The 2008 Jamaica Fat Tyre Festival is being supported by: Jamaica Tourist Board, IRIE FM, John Crow’s Tavern, the Island Sport Trust and is sanctioned by the Jamaica Cycling Federation.
Two wheels, one love.

maximum respect
madman

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
pro riders that are attending this years 2008 Jamaican Fat Tyre Festival include..............Cam McCaul.....Kyle Ebbett.......Ian Hylands......katrina Strand.......Kathy Pruit.....Thomas Vanderham and Timo Pritzl and possibly a few more. Semi pros from the USA, Canada, England and local Carribean pros and semi-pros will fill the bus.

There is still a few seats available on the tour bus and for a small fee anyone can reserve a place. Last year the cost was 120US and for that we were shuttled around for 4 full days and there was food included and other treats. It was truly a rare bargain.
Hope to ride with a few monkeys this season.
Marshall....aka madman
madmantours@hotmail.com
www.smorba.com

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
actually the fest used to take place in the Westmoreland Hills outside Negril. Only someone who has been there would know about those majical hills.
Wonder if I know you since I have attended 8/9 fat tyres there?
I was talking about Westmoreland herbs to go with the mighty Labsbread llcoolkeg sugested. :)

good point bout Ganja not being mentioned and even better point by llkoolkeg. I think it is worth mentioning that a) ganja is illegal and b) we have never seen any police on our trails.
"I don't know what Ganja is, Ganja is a bird in Australia." -Peter Tosh in Herb Smoking from the album I Am That I Am, one of the best albums ever made.

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
well i have stayed in those hills many times. I'll be atop Orange Hill in 2 weeks to start off my tour of Jamaica.
I have ridden a pilgrimage ride twice to the Peter Tosh Memorial Gardens where he rests. It's in Belmont on the south coast
about 80 miles from Negril on the southern ocean roads where the mountains begin. It's an amazing ride through odd towns and wierd roads.
In Peter's yard there is a huge ganja field and it is the only place in Jamaica that it is legally grown. I sat with his mother, Elvira Coke, and
chatted for a while with her and his familly who also live there 4 years ago. On his tomb it stated he was killed on Sept. 11/77.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
well i have stayed in those hills many times. I'll be atop Orange Hill in 2 weeks to start off my tour of Jamaica.
I have ridden a pilgrimage ride twice to the Peter Tosh Memorial Gardens where he rests. It's in Belmont on the south coast
about 80 miles from Negril on the southern ocean roads where the mountains begin. It's an amazing ride through odd towns and wierd roads.
In Peter's yard there is a huge ganja field and it is the only place in Jamaica that it is legally grown. I sat with his mother, Elvira Coke, and
chatted for a while with her and his familly who also live there 4 years ago. On his tomb it stated he was killed on Sept. 11/77.
You must have meant Sept. 11/87 (not trying to smartass you).

About Sept. 11, Tosh made an album called The Day The Dollar Die. It was shown to me shortly after WTC by Danny Dread, at his record store, and Trevor, another Jamaican rasta. On the cover Tosh is walking on a known street, of which I forgot the name, from where the twin towers many times been pictured.

But in this picture there were no towers as they hadn't been built. Danny and Trevor were dead sertain that this had been forseen by Tosh during his meditation and that's why he made that cover.

But Jamaica, I've dreamt about that place since third grade. It's a must do for me.

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
Haha, I was just looking at that, before this thread.
Nice pic........I'm the white rasta sitting next to Cam McCaul in the boat wearing a rasta cycles shirt. It will be deja vu is 3 weeks.

See ya in 9 days I-Doc
Big ups to Natty Grant who is clearing the trails.
cool vibes
madman