Quantcast

jamis or scott for 2009??

eastcoast_dh

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
plattsburgh, ny
I have been riding dh for quite a few years now, but this is the first time that i am going to by a brand new bike. i just purchased a local bike shop and have the option of getting the 2009 models of the Jamis BAM II or the Scott Gambler DH10. So i was curious if anybody ahd riden the 2008 models and could give me some feedback on what they have felt or even heard. the Scott is the same for this year (only some small changes), but the Jamis is full 8" travel via Fox, and equiped with the Saint group for this year.

EM-EFER

Monkey
May 29, 2007
I have been riding dh for quite a few years now, but this is the first time that i am going to by a brand new bike. i just purchased a local bike shop and have the option of getting the 2009 models of the Jamis BAM II or the Scott Gambler DH10. So i was curious if anybody ahd riden the 2008 models and could give me some feedback on what they have felt or even heard. the Scott is the same for this year (only some small changes), but the Jamis is full 8" travel via Fox, and equiped with the Saint group for this year.
The Scott is bomb proof and light. My DH10 is 41LB.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Don't be so RM weight weenish. 40-41 is simply regular weight. It's not heavy it's not light.
I've already stopped putting all my $$$ into lightweight bike. Will want to drop my bike from 40 to 38's in some time but ppl chill with the weight.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
neither, I'd would be to keep on looking for a quality USA made frame to sell.

and cut the kid a break he's coming off a 50+lbs Foes with a Foes fork, the 41lbs probably feels like a feather to him

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Don't be so RM weight weenish. 40-41 is simply regular weight. It's not heavy it's not light.
I've already stopped putting all my $$$ into lightweight bike. Will want to drop my bike from 40 to 38's in some time but ppl chill with the weight.
Agread 41lbs is an acceptable weight by all means. 44+ is old school, being as theres way too many ways too shave weight easily and affordable now a days!
Good luck on the bike and Ive heard good things about Scott bikes!

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
Personally I would go with the Scott.I havent had the chance to truly ride it but I've been seeing more and more every year in Whistler.If it can withstand the abuse up here it mean its a solid bike.Although I did see a few cracked frames over the years but Ive pretty much seen every other bike company with cracked frame as well.

Looking at the spec of both bikes the Scott is HANDS down a better racing DH bike, while the Jamis is definately more FR.The build kit on the Scott is better IMO ,at least for 2008 it is.Now are you saying the Jamis comes with a Fox 40 and full Saint for 09?

Dont go think the DH10 is a LIGHT bike though.Agree, 41 pounds is decent but not what I would call light, beside evey Gambler Ive personnaly sat on was WELL over 41 pounds...I think you will need to spend money to get it down to 41, at least on my scale...41 seems low for that bike.:brow:

The angles of the Scott again are better for DH plus you can play with it to make it feel right for your riding style.Jamis is pretty high and steep.The only good thing I can think of for the Jamis is its weight, Im pretty sure it could be lighter.

They are both great bike, one more tunable that the other but probably heavier because of it.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
It depends on what build. I've had in hands the DH10 and I think it was around the claimed 18.5kg (41lb).

The broken scotts were nitrous models. They broke a lot but from what I see the problem is smaller or none in gamblers. I'd go for scott for the adjustability and the build. Have one friend raving about the bike but he's been always with the company so he may be less than objective ;)

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
has anybody ridden the jamis in 2008, curious on the ride quality. i am not concerned about the weight, i used to ride a shiver on the front.
Yup, and it's a pretty sweet bike. The frame itself is nothing special as far as build quality or features, but the angles were very comfortable for me while doing some lift-assisted DH runs. It's a little on the heavy side though (~42lbs I think). The parts package on the bike is pretty hard to beat, which is one reason why I was very impressed. You get a lot of bike for your money with the high-end Jamis bikes.

T-Boner

Chimp
Dec 14, 2007
Durango
I would go with jamis. They might have a bad rap by some people but in the last couple of years they have been stepping things up. The new DH bike look really legit too. I've rode the new and old scott DH bikes and wasn't impressed the geometry seemed funky. Sure jamis isn't anything special with their suspension, but It still is a very quality bike for a cheap price.

EM-EFER

Monkey
May 29, 2007
I haven't heard of one Scott Gambler breaking this year. I have raced 14 times this season and freeride every weekend on this bike with no problems related to the gambler.

41 pounds is good for a reliable race bike with full DH tubes. I believe 99 percent of claimed weights on this website are BS anyway.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
The Scott has a lot of adjustability so you can find you sweet spot where the Jamis has no adjustment. I would try to check them both out. There are people riding both at Diablo. The Scott I think is more of a safe beat as its a tested frame where the Jamis is new bike for 09.

spliffy

Monkey
Dec 10, 2007
DURANGO Colorado
if i read that right you now own a shop and these are the two bikes you are thinking of getting. Wake up make some phone calls and get a better bike, you dont have to comit to a dealer ship to get a sweet bike from companies for your self.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
if i read that right you now own a shop and these are the two bikes you are thinking of getting. Wake up make some phone calls and get a better bike, you dont have to comit to a dealer ship to get a sweet bike from companies for your self.
I dont think neither are very BAD bikes? Sure there are better options out there to ride but on a business side of things ,it'd be nice to represent a brand you actually carry in your store dont you think? I mean would you advertise a product sold at a competitor?That would be a pretty dumb move IMO

Beside, how would you explain a customer that you really believe in the brands you sell but not enough for you to ride it... that would be a bit awkard.

Actually no offense but I think eastcoast_dh is well awake and you're the one a bit sleepy:huh:

spliffy

Monkey
Dec 10, 2007
DURANGO Colorado
I dont think neither are very BAD bikes? Sure there are better options out there to ride but on a business side of things ,it'd be nice to represent a brand you actually carry in your store dont you think? I mean would you advertise a product sold at a competitor?That would be a pretty dumb move IMO

Beside, how would you explain a customer that you really believe in the brands you sell but not enough for you to ride it... that would be a bit awkard.

Actually no offense but I think eastcoast_dh is well awake and you're the one a bit sleepy:huh:
I understand your point in riding a bike you stock in your shop, to show customers you stand behind your brands. But the way I look at it is if you are a shop owner adn have the power to pick your lines why ride a stock bike personaly. Why not pick up a boutique brand like intense santa cruz transition foes yeti the list goes on, see what their dealer requirments are and get a bike for your self. It would be a good whay to brouden the line up in the shop and have something on the floor to show people what youy can special order for them.

Last edited:

eastcoast_dh

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
plattsburgh, ny
I like the idea of having a boutique brand in house because I have owned many in the past. (Turner, Balfa, Intense, Santacruz) I just don't have the market yet to sell those type of brands, maybe in a few years I hope to have something to that effect. I just figured that I would go with what is available to me know and get a new bike each year and use them as demos and offer some one a killer deal later in the year as a complete or parting it out. I am leaning towards the Jamis due to not to many riding it and I can show it off at Diablo since they just dropped Ironhorse and picked up Jamis.

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
The 2009 Jamis BAM looks like a huge improvement over the 08, 65º HA, 203mm travel etc. The 2009 bikes aren't on the site yet, but the 09 catalog is.
Diablo picking up Jamis is a huge vote of confidence IMO, I am going to rent one once they open again next spring, and if I like it, I might get one since their prices are great.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
My race bike weighs in 36lbs.... normal build is 38lbs.
Strange my bike weights ~40 it is my race bike. What's more - it does feel normal. What's wrong with me?

BTW. 38lbs for a of the shelf bike is still light and in most cases expensive.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Izimu frame price helps a lot. Gambler from what I know is much more $$. Plus we are talking here about complete bikes(also gambler has some high quality parts). Building your own will always give better weight/price ratios but seems OP is not interested in building his own bike.

Jay Memms

Chimp
Feb 5, 2007
First Time posting figured i'd put my 2 cents in on the Scott Gambler.

Scott Bikes are Rad. Gnarly Dudes ride them. Plus it have Carbon Fiber on it. End of Story. Ask Jason Ellis he knows. Sirius Faction Radio Futura!!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
First Time posting figured i'd put my 2 cents in on the Scott Gambler.

Scott Bikes are Rad. Gnarly Dudes ride them. Plus it have Carbon Fiber on it. End of Story. Ask Jason Ellis he knows. Sirius Faction Radio Futura!!
?????
That right there is a pretty good reason to avoid it.

BeaconBomber

Chimp
Apr 9, 2009
Beacon, NY
There are some gnarly dudes who used to ride gamblers.. Fo sho
I have been riding the Jamis for a couple weeks now and its been good so far. The rear end is not the most laterally stiff, but its not bad enough to bother me at least. The part spec is amazing.

Most definitely less haggard than last year.

mtnbiker49

Monkey
Jul 12, 2009
Milford, PA
The 2009 Jamis BAM looks like a huge improvement over the 08, 65º HA, 203mm travel etc. The 2009 bikes aren't on the site yet, but the 09 catalog is.
Diablo picking up Jamis is a huge vote of confidence IMO, I am going to rent one once they open again next spring, and if I like it, I might get one since their prices are great.
Can you buy a new Jamis Dakar 2 from the shop at Diablo?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Saw what looked like the 2010 prototype this weekend. Still not super pretty bike it look like a nice bike.

Is Jamis the new pre Sunday Iron Horse. Building good budget bikes with nice specs. I have always found an honest company that know who they are and does it well.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
thank you...39-42 is normal

greenhood

Turbo Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
SEATTLE-MINNEAPOLIS
I haven't heard of one Scott Gambler breaking this year. I have raced 14 times this season and freeride every weekend on this bike with no problems related to the gambler.

41 pounds is good for a reliable race bike with full DH tubes. I believe 99 percent of claimed weights on this website are BS anyway.
I agree 100%

Anyway, I like my fat ass dh bike. No diets here.:thumb: