Quantcast

Japanese Gulch Threat

Jeff K.

Chimp
Dec 17, 2007
This is a repost from MTBR but since I know a few of you are locals to the Gulch area who may not have hit the trails lately do to the weather or whatever, I thought I would bring it up again just as a FYI (this may be old news to some). I've worked on and ridden these trails for the past 8 years...it's going to be a shame to see them go (yeah I know, I act like this has never happened before). :disgust1:

"So it seems that we are about to lose the better part of Japanese Gulch trails. Not sure what is going on exactly but I've noticed this past few weeks quite a bit of movement going down...surveying and tractor activity throughout most of the upper west side trails.

The real kicker was coming across quite a few postings attached to trees and at the entrance of 19th street while riding there yesterday. The posting announced that approximately 80 acres were to be clear-cut for an industrial park and that if we want to voice our opinion to help preserve the area, show up at the Mukilteo city council meeting tonight at 7:00 pm.

I'm even less sure of what can be done and I would somewhat guess that it's too late, but the meeting place is located here if anyone is interested and can make it:

City Hall Council Chambers
4480 Chennault Beach Road
Mukilteo, WA 98275

http://ci.mukilteo.wa.us/Agendas.asp...Display=Agenda

I don't know who posted the signs but I did look up the meeting to see what was up. I didn't find any agenda topic concerning the area in question so it could be that a few individuals are trying to come together to make a stand, so interpret it at your own discretion. All I know for sure is something is going to happen to the trails and it’s not going to be good.

If anyone knows what’s going on, please let me know and please pass this on to any mountain biker you know who utilizes the area."

Thanks,
Jeff K.

Jeff K.

Chimp
Dec 17, 2007
Just came across this future zoning plan...M-1 along the west border (shaded in purple) of the first link is the Gulch area to be developed for industrial use (City of Everett). Second link shows the housing area on the Mukilteo side that butts up to the trails.

Everett:
http://www.co.snohomish.wa.us/documents/Departments/PDS/Long_Range_Planning/Maps_Resources/Buildable_Lands/blr07_Final_Ever_M_ZoneMap.pdf

Mukilteo:
http://www.co.snohomish.wa.us/documents/Departments/PDS/Long_Range_Planning/Maps_Resources/Buildable_Lands/blr07_Final_Muk_ZoneMap.pdf

Looks like it's a done deal...

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
I sure hope this will fall threw...
As I've said before, I feel these trails have kept numberous kids out of trouble, including myself...I cant imagen how it could be worth removing one of the few forest areas in Mukilteo and Everett for an industrial park.

:-/

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
So I didn't make it out, I had some scout stuff going on, but a few of the scout's fathers went and sort of filled me in...

From what I understand there was quite the turn-out of mountain bikers at the meeting today, so I guess the biker voice was heard. I also heard alot of them were credited as being builders. From what it sounds, the meeting was essentially to tell everyone what the purposal is for the land use and how they would like to use it (tear down trees and build). I guess the main issue was between the cities, where Mukilteo wants a road threw there for ferry traffic, but Everett has the land rights as it is in their city limits and wants to build industrial land or something like that.

Again, I wasn't there, and I don't know for a fact what was said or anything, this is just what I picked up from a few people who went. Anyone who was there, please inform us how you feel everything went down.

Jeff K.

Chimp
Dec 17, 2007
I didn't make it to the meeting either but here is some input I received from a home owner who's back yard sits right on the property line in question...

"I just spoke with one of the City of Everett planners. My take so far, a big company with tons of money recently purchased land for 8mil. They are now actively planning the area. Proposed road in initial plan was right on my property line. This is a no go due to a 75’ offset no development within 75’ of my property. They have lots of work to try and make this go including DOT road improvements, wetland issues, us etc….. Planners take at this point is that this project may or may not go, I suspect if they paid 8mil they will want to see it go. Hopefully I’ll learn more tonight."

"I just got home from the Mukilteo city council meeting after which I spoke with the city planning director. This is the scoop, Some big ass company with a ton of money has secured purchase agreements on nearly the entire west side of Japanese Gulch. These purchase agreements are pending a successful feasibility study. How serious are they you ask? Serious enough to have bulldozed the ridge trail into a nice two track, so they could have good access to survey the land. Also due to the type of zoning they are not required to go through a land use public hearing. This is an important note think about it."

"I would say about 50 residents showed up to speak about the matter, we were well received and the city of Mukilteo seems unanimously opposed to the development, unfortunately there is not much they can do about it as the land is zoned to the city of Everett. The developers have purchased options on several points of entrance a couple of which are not through residential neighbor hoods."

"One dude made a point that the city council should work with the city of Everett to purchase the land as a park. The council was unanimous that they will take action in this direction. Mukilteo City council is willing to fight to save the Gulch we need some help from Everett voters to make the same point well known to the city of Everett that was made tonight."

"What needs to happen is the city of Everett needs to be bombarded at their next council meeting by everyone who supports preserving the gulch. Those of us who pay Everett taxes should stand up and speak. Those who are not Everett residents should stand in the back and make as much noise as possible."

"There were some eloquent statements and very good points made other than mountain biking, walking and jogging. There is also a meeting at the Mukilteo Library Community room Thursday Dec 20th @7:00pm to discuss options If you live in the city of Everett and are willing to voice your opinion you should consider attending. If you do nothing it will get paved, at least let them know you think it sucks and that you vote. Please forward to anyone who uses the gulch. Especially if they live in Everett."

Jeff K.

Chimp
Dec 17, 2007
Another update from Joe Elsholz (JoeE@Electroimpact.com):

"The plan is to try and get on the agenda for the Jan 16th Everett city council meeting and present a park as an option and outline some of the sources etc that can assist in making it happen. So put it on your calendars and show up to support it.

This will allow us a little time to try and raise awareness and get more people involved.

If you are Interested in how you might help, be at the Mukilteo Library Thursday Dec 20th @7:00pm."

Pick up a copy of tomorrows Mukilteo Beacon there will be an article in it.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
dang, I slept threw today's meeting...I need to stop taking naps when I get home, hah.

Sounds good...I think a park is a good idea, as it's probly the least harmful thing we can do for the trails at this point. As it sounds they are pretty set on doing SOMETHING with the land...and a park wont impact the trails nearly as bad as buildings would.

Jeff K.

Chimp
Dec 17, 2007
This is the word from one of the meeting organizers...

http://www.mukilteobeacon.com/1-9-08gu;ch.html A similar article should be in the Everett paper soon if not already.

The communication between Everett and Mukilteo has began and the dialect is positive. It appears as though we have strong support from the city of Mukilteo and some support in Everett. Everett expressed an interest in de-annexation of the land to Mukilteo, providing Mukilteo commits the land to open space and removes the idea of a road down the Gulch from its TIP (Transportation Improvement Plan). http://www.ci.mukilteo.wa.us/Page.asp?NavID=22 The City of Mukilteo has recently changed the priority of the road from number 2 to number 18 (nearly last on their Master Plan). The timing is ripe to stop the road and save the land as a park. A dedicated group of citizens from both Mukilteo and Everett have been extremely busy calling, writing, e-mailing and knocking on neighbors doors to get to this point. These people are dedicated to carry on with the battle, but the time has come for the public to help us out.

Even though the discussions with the cities has been positive, as the article in the Beacon states, “This will take the cooperation of a large group of citizens, land-owners, and the cities of Mukilteo and Everett,” says group spokesman Richard Emery. “We’re hoping we haven’t waited too long to try to preserve this wonderful open space.” The basis of this comment is that if the developer is positive about the feasibility study and decides to move forward we might be too late.

So How can you Help?

We need a huge rally of people to flood the Everett City Council meeting Jan. 16th at 6:30. A large public turnout will serve several purposes. 1) it will help let council members that the voters are watching this issue. We want those who support us to know they have voter support and those who are undecided or might possibly oppose us to reconsider their position 2) It will reaffirm what their public polls and recent election results tell them, which is that, Parks and trails are high on the public’s list of priorities. 3) The land poses significant challenges to development and a strong showing of public support might cause the developer to scrutinize the feasibility that much more closely. 4) It provides momentum for us to take this to the next levels which is the county, state and federal government for money. 5) It provides credibility to those of us who have kindled the flame, you are the fuel.

Your support on Jan 16th for the Everett city council meeting at 6:30pm is desperately needed. Please, forward this to everyone you know who is interested in preserving land and trails. Remember we will be taking this to the county and state next so the call for support at this meeting extends beyond the boundaries of Mukilteo and Everett. We do ask that if you are a resident of Everett that you take the opportunity to address the council and voice your support, please.

If you are interested in learning more before the 16th we have scheduled a planning meeting for January 13th 7pm to 9pm in the Community Room next to the Mukilteo City Council Chambers at 4480 Chennault Beach Road, Mukilteo.

Please check out our web site. It is under constant construction so please check it out frequently. If you can only do one thing to save the gulch be there on the 16th. If you can’t be there please send an e-mail to the council members. They do read them. All the e-mail addresses are under the 'things you can do' section of our web site.

http://www.saveourgulch.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/save_japanese_gulch/

JoeE

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Hmm...I live in Everett...I ride/work in the gultch...I think I'll go to the meeting! hah.

But yeah, my neighbor gave me a bunch of flyer's to give out at work (Gregg's Cycles in Alderwood)...I'll be stopping by today to make sure people get them.

In case someone decides they don't want to read all of the above.

January 16th...6:30PM at 3002 Wetmore Ave!!!
^BE THERE!

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
I don't know who all was there, but I went (if you went, I was the kid with the Everett Rowing hat and grey jacket, Scott) and met a few guys from Dirt Corps. and various Save the gultch members who explained to me further details on the matter at hand...saving the gultch from development.

I Just wanted to throw out to everyone the update I got from this meeting...

Everett made it very clear how they are, "More then willing to work with Mukilteo to make the gultch a park"...but because part of the land is within Mukilteo's boundaries, they need Mukilteo's support...And after talking at the end with Jeff K's resource (a gentleman, who's name I have forgotten) it sounds like it is more of an issue of Everett not wanting to pay the land owners of the gultch for its value (estimated around $8-20million) for a park, and rather selling it and not having to pay out to the current owners. It also sounds as Mukilteo has already agreed that the gultch needs to become a park and wanted to do something with that. Hopefully someone can elaberate on this...(Jeff, I'm calling you out)

DISCLAIMER: I do not know every detail on the matter, and am simply voicing my opinion/what I heard and understood from conversations after the council meeting.

Jeff K.

Chimp
Dec 17, 2007
Muddy Beast...you nailed it. I think that was Joe you were talking with. There was also talk of Everett turning the area over to Mukilteo so they can wash there hands of it. Early on, they were somewhat reluctant to do so but with all the attention the gulch is gaining, Everett is feeling the pressure. Which might be a good thing since Mukilteo city council members seem to be a little more compasionate with the area than Everett. Still, that raises the question of will the current owner sell it (perhaps if the land is indeed not suitable for building) and where is the money going to come from to make the purchase...

aktallguy

Monkey
Aug 31, 2006
Puget Sound, WA
The notice was sent to the yahoo group mailing list. I was out there yesterday evening with my dog and biked a few loops this morning. They ran some sort of equipment down the main trails. The ridge trail, while not perfect before, is now a muddy mess on the south side. Sucks to see the trail trashed like that.