Quantcast

Jedi vs other reward travel frames

kotajack

Chimp
Feb 25, 2004
Mass
To the smart suspension monkeys, I am wondering how the new batch of bikes compare to the Canfield Jedi?
I see some of the newer frames are now boasting about the benefits of reward travel as well as their vertical travel such as the new Norco HSP. I was told by my local bike shop that the new Specialized demo was designed to get rearward travel as well but not as much as the Norco.

I have been on a Jedi for a few years and it is an absolute amazing bike on steep natural technical New England stuff and drops. I really don't notice any of the drawbacks some say the rearward travel has in the berms or cornering. I don't think its the best jumper but that is probably operator anyways. Was canfield just ahead of the game and now others are seeing the benefit of rearward travel.

I have read that the new Norco aurum Hsp is not a jumper at all. Is there a balance as being a great technical ground hugging bike and a good jumper?

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I just picked up a Norco HSP and have only limited saddle time. I was afraid it wouldn’t jump well based on the reviews but so far those worries have been unfounded. I’ve got the bike set up according to the (excellent) Norco setup guide and because I fall on the border of two spring weights, I went up rather than down. I think it jumps at least as well as my old single pivot GG/DH. I totally agree with the benefits of the rear travel and am super pumped on the bike so far. It’s a speed machine but I can still play on mellow trails. It’s so quiet and confidence inspiring and for someone that likes to smash first but still jump a bit, it’s fantastic. If you already like the Canfield and want something newer and more refined I think you’d be very happy with the Norco.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Really liking my new (old 27,5) supreme, think it is the 2017 model in XL. Have a XXL V10, also a 2017 I think. I can most certainly feel that the rear gets out of the way more efficiently, how much faster that really means I cant say but overall I think it is at least energy saving since I can smash stuff a bit more. Cant say I feel much difference jumping, it is a dh bike so it wont feel super poppy but give it some speed and pump the transition and it will take off.

Most noticeable difference was probably the reduced chain slap. Near silent.

My more biased opinion is that super long reaches (relative to body) is not good. Sure for really fast straightish tracks they offer some benefit but overall I find for my 6" height the around 450 reach is the sweet spot. Any longer I become much less dynamic and have to fight more to get around stuff. So in the end maybe I am faster on the V10 (havent really gotten any testing done) but I have more fun riding my Supreme.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
To the smart suspension monkeys, I am wondering how the new batch of bikes compare to the Canfield Jedi?
I see some of the newer frames are now boasting about the benefits of reward travel as well as their vertical travel such as the new Norco HSP. I was told by my local bike shop that the new Specialized demo was designed to get rearward travel as well but not as much as the Norco.

I have been on a Jedi for a few years and it is an absolute amazing bike on steep natural technical New England stuff and drops. I really don't notice any of the drawbacks some say the rearward travel has in the berms or cornering. I don't think its the best jumper but that is probably operator anyways. Was canfield just ahead of the game and now others are seeing the benefit of rearward travel.

I have read that the new Norco aurum Hsp is not a jumper at all. Is there a balance as being a great technical ground hugging bike and a good jumper?
New Demo doesn't really get much rearward travel. It's just marketing BS from Spec because their bikes used to have soo little of it everything normal seems like a huge improvement there.

kotajack

Chimp
Feb 25, 2004
Mass
all great info thanks
interesting how the graph shows the way the rear actually moves and how the Jedi goes back to vertical as it gets higher in travel
love the look of the new Norco and its super hard to beat the value of the commencal. My Jedi is a little short in the reach so looking for something different. It does however suck up the lips of the jumps even with the lsr backed way off. Going to demo a Norco in a two weeks. Love the rearward travel but would be nice to get a little more pop out of it.