Quantcast

Jeep King of the Mountain in Austin in October

dburatti

Chimp
Jul 19, 2001
Austin, TX
Here's the link.

Texas 3rd-step: Austin powers past competitors to host Jeep finale

Both Mike King and Katrina Miller will be going for the clean sweep Oct. 3 when Austin, Texas, hosts the finale of the Jeep King of the Mountain series. The current points leaders set the pace as the world's top professional mountain-bike racers gather deep in the heart of Texas to battle for the crown of Jeep® King of the Mountain Series Champion—as well as a share of more than $100,000 in prize money and the keys to a Jeep Wrangler.

Look to www.jeepsports.com come mid-August for an official announcement and complete details, including a list of invited riders.

On Oct. 10, CBS will provide national-television coverage of the finale of the Jeep King of the Mountain series from Austin, Texas.

dburatti

Chimp
Jul 19, 2001
Austin, TX
Msisle Dad said:
why would they hold it in Austin vs Mammoth, Durango, or other traditional MTB location? Will lance be there?
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. I think the Austin Chamber of Commerce must have offered them a sweet(er) deal. The minimum elevation change requested was 100'; we had a difficult time finding that at the venue they were pushing.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
Thats Killer. I Live in colorado but I'm from Austin.
Austin is a nice city, and has lots of Rolling hills like the foothills of Colorado. That should be perfect for the Jeep King of the Mountain series. Sweet Azz!!!

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
This final jeep race will have 8 men, 5 of them have been chosen already (King, Bootes, Adams, Schmith, Carter) the other 3 will have to qualify at the event. ANYONE can try and qualify in a time trial format. You should go, because I know of ZERO big pros going to try and qualify, so the chances of getting on TV and making some money are good.
It is going to be hilarious if no one shows up to qualify, and they just get some weekend warrior to race in the main event.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
stiksandstones said:
It is going to be hilarious if no one shows up to qualify, and they just get some weekend warrior to race in the main event.
Yeah, that'd be great for the sport...

Onehittah

Monkey
Mar 27, 2003
Austin
They will have a few good riders on Sat trying to qualify. My money is on Shanetos since he won the Durango Dh recently in his expert class. I think it should be real interesting to see how much everyone gets smoked by EC...

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
BurlySurly said:
Yeah, that'd be great for the sport...
Well, only funny because I told the Jeep people to just qualify people from the lame norba nationals, atleast you are getting your cream of the crop from those races, vs people paying there own way to austin to "TRY" and get into the race, its just not going to happen.
They actually did say they would take the other riders, to make 8 via the nationals, but all of a sudden the Jeep guy changed his mind and said "it would be cool to allow anyone to try and race the pros". Anyway :p

Dylan

Monkey
Jan 25, 2002
San Diego area, California, USA
looks like i'm headed out there. :stupid: decided at the last minute of course... literally. I've got family out there to visit, so it'll be cool. but F_CK FED EX for all the BULL SH*T that screwed me over trying to ship a helmet (long story)...screw DHL too while i'm at it!

thank God for travel vouchers

Crash_Tested

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
wCo
I was going to race, but there is no way I would even come close to qualifiing. I'll just sneak in Monday to ride the coarse when all are gone.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
stiksandstones said:
This final jeep race will have 8 men, 5 of them have been chosen already (King, Bootes, Adams, Schmith, Carter) the other 3 will have to qualify at the event. ANYONE can try and qualify in a time trial format. You should go, because I know of ZERO big pros going to try and qualify, so the chances of getting on TV and making some money are good.

i told my wife that. i knew it was going to be a weak turnout. :nopity:

i couldn't go. :mumble:

shat!

Place Points Men Women

1st 100 $5,000 $5,000
2nd 90 $4,000 $4,000
3rd 80 $3,000 $3,000
4th 70 $2,000 $2,000
5th 60 $1,500 $1,500
6th 50 $1,000 $1,000
7th 40 $750 $750
8th 30 $250 $250

Weaver

Monkey
Oct 27, 2003
austin, TX
narrow course... not room for passing... but pretty fun looking at least... some guys practiced sat but i wasnt in town... its soaked now though... not even sure they will race tomorrow at all...

some bmx friends came in... saw them there this morning... would be nice if it was dry tomorrow