Quantcast

Jersey and sponsors?

ekozy39

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Ok, quick question...

I'm getting all my sponsors lined up for '08, and since I'm an indi racer, what's the best way to go about getting a couple of jerseys screened with my sponsors logos?
I saw your SH profile..Nema in '08?!
If you run the white Podium kit, we can sublimate all your sponsors on for next to nothing. Sublimation will work the best, but it can only be done on white.
If you run the black kit, a heat transfer will work. If you line this up ahead of time we'll ship your jersey with your sponsors.

Whatever you decide stay away from screen printing b/c it will be more expensive b/c of screen charges.

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
I just get a free jersey with my sponsors already on it. What kind of sponsors do you have? LBS or Sponsorhouse?

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see the Sponsorhouse thingy in your sig. I can't really help you out though because I know nothing about jersey shennanigans. I'd go the Nema way though.

Lollapalooza said:
I just get a free jersey with my sponsors already on it. What kind of sponsors do you have? LBS or Sponsorhouse?
I'm an independent racer, so it's all through direct relations or Sponsorhouse.

ekozy39 said:
I saw your SH profile..Nema in '08?!
Yeah buddy!

ekozy39 said:
If you run the white Podium kit, we can sublimate all your sponsors on for next to nothing. Sublimation will work the best, but it can only be done on white.
If you run the black kit, a heat transfer will work. If you line this up ahead of time we'll ship your jersey with your sponsors.
So how does that work? I'm TOTALLY clueless on how you get the logo to the shirt? Can you shoot me a PM with some info on the additional costs? And yeah, I'm looking at the white podium kit. It should go good with my stealth black Socom and 6.6.

Thanks!

liquidsystm

Chimp
May 25, 2005
if your sponsors arent providing a jersey, who cares, you don't need it. Why would you spend your own money to advertise for them, unless they're reinbursing you. Thats their job to provide all that. I raced for a while until sponsors wanted me to wear a jersey and provided it. But if you must, check out hotshoppe

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
if your sponsors arent providing a jersey, who cares, you don't need it. Why would you spend your own money to advertise for them, unless they're reinbursing you. Thats their job to provide all that. I raced for a while until sponsors wanted me to wear a jersey and provided it. But if you must, check out hotshoppe
thats how it is, if they want advertising then you shouldn't have to pay for it. in the words of a crazy frenchman, "don't be a prostitute"

ekozy39

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
thats how it is, if they want advertising then you shouldn't have to pay for it. in the words of a crazy frenchman, "don't be a prostitute"
Do you take the mfg. stickers off your bike too?
Obviously you haven't been to the moto track lately, everyone wears jerseys with TLD, Fox, etc logos all over and they only get bigger and bigger each season AND they all paid for them.

on the otherhand, if you can get a $100 in discounts/ or free parts for putting a $5 logo on your jersey, i don't call that prostitution, it's an investment..

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
There's a big difference between A top pro like Cedric and your average indie racer, CG is in a position where he can market himself well without covering himself in logos. Brands like 661 still do really well out of CG by using him in lots of brochures and advertising instead of a wee logo on his jersey. His comment was more directed at other top riders who could be doing the same, not Joe Privateer.

I think its great that surfinguru is sorting his jersey himself. Remember its not what your sponsors do for you but what you can do for your sponsors, I don't have any and i know that!!

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
Yeah they do stipulate in most sponsor contracts that you do have to some how advertise there logo on your person if you are on the podium or are in a news/magazine article

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Stickers man. Any company will send you stickers. Don't get a jersey, just put some stickers on your bike and your good to go.

Not true. One company requires their logos in specific colors and specific placement on the jersey. It's right in the contract that the team manager and every team member signs. I sure you could get away with not doing it for a year. However, chances are that they will not sponsor you next year since you obviously didn't send them any updates with pictures of you wearing your jersey and representing them.

Some companies require specific sticker placement.

Seriously folks, if your going to take something from a company, give back to them and represent them how they want to be represented.

Surfing guru: Props for trying to get it together to represent. To answer your question, get a jersey (Nema, Fox, Troy Lee, Rockgardn, whatever) and take it to a T-shirt printer with the logos on a CD in an EPS format. Have a layout sketched up. I get 2 color on both the front and back done for about $15/jersey. Given, we are printing 20-50 a year.

Your sponsors should have the digital files you need with a layout guideline. Just ask.
If you have a jersey sponsor, sometimes they can make a thermal transfer cheaper for only a few jerseys.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Not true. One company requires their logos in specific colors and specific placement on the jersey. It's right in the contract that the team manager and every team member signs. I sure you could get away with not doing it for a year. However, chances are that they will not sponsor you next year since you obviously didn't send them any updates with pictures of you wearing your jersey and representing them.

Some companies require specific sticker placement.

Seriously folks, if your going to take something from a company, give back to them and represent them how they want to be represented.
Very true, but the odds are, his sponsorships are the low level sponsorship given out by most companies on sponsorhouse. All they specify is that you promote in one way or another. They don't say, "You must wear a jersey". I hade read multiple contracts from sponsorhouse and not one has said that you needs some sort of clothing.
Nor have I seen one contract that stated any specific sticker placement, but I'm sure they want it visible.

Sponsorhouse is plain silly because they throw out sponsorships like it's candy on halloween. It's super easy to get deals on anything, but congrats to who ever has made a really good relationship with a company like me and ODI.

But, that being said, after reading over thirty contracts between me and some buddies, not one has mentioned that you must wear a jersey.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
But, that being said, after reading over thirty contracts between me and some buddies, not one has mentioned that you must wear a jersey.
Your probably right on Sponsorhouse. I am sure Rich will chime in if it's not. We were doing the team deal long before sponsorhouse so we have the contacts. If your a solo rider or a new team, I am sure sponsorhouse will be benificial to you since you will not need to develop a packet, cold call, etc.

Sticker placement is typically centered around where their product is at so that it shows up in photos of that area of the bike.

So here is your sponsor advice from my point of view:

1) pick companies that have products that you believe in. We made the mistake of running some real crap product back in 2002 since there was incentive to do so. It sucked. I feel good in promoting everyone of our sponsors now since everyone of them makes the best product in thier area.

2) get a kit that looks good and has good logo placement. Try to find something unique. You can pick a HGR rider out of a pack from a long ways away. Think that was accidental?

3) Be approachable at races or just riding. Talk to people. Be positive.

4) send in updates. This is the part most teams miss.

5) get some world cup champions to ride for you. :lighten: We'll, I'm still working on that.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
Do you have a photo sample?
check out the spectrum rider section of their gallery or just shoot brad an e-mail. The black/pink jerseys are this year's in house team design just for reference. He'll pretty much do whatever you like on any of his jersey's. If you want I'll pop mine up later

ridefast

Monkey
Jan 25, 2006
Not where I'd like
in addition to what bent^biker said, spectrum has done work for part of Western Washington University's cycling program, as well as for very large, very well known component manufacturers

but yea, shoot brad an email or call and discuss what you are looking for, he will be more than happy to talk with you about your needs