Quantcast

Jesus decided to help me finish my stuff

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I'm wondering how the slab that is supporting your house is holding up.. :eek:

Locally, the garage slab is the same as the house slab (its all one huge chunk of concrete, but you might have a basement or something we don't have in LA...

Are post-tensioned slabs common in other parts of the US?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
N8 said:

Locally, the garage slab is the same as the house slab (its all one huge chunk of concrete, but you might have a basement or something we don't have in LA...

Up here they are only used if there is poor soil.

See we build differently up here because we have a deep freeze in the winter.

We build with a minimum of 3' deep foundation wall with a 10 to 12" footing below putting the total vertical distance about 4' below grade. With a basement a footing is pour then the foundation wall is put on top of that. Then the slab is poured between the foundation walls on top of the footings.

Edit * do you need a drawing?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
stosh said:
Up here they are only used if there is poor soil.

See we build differently up here because we have a deep freeze in the winter.

We build with a minimum of 3' deep foundation wall with a 10 to 12" footing below putting the total vertical distance about 4' below grade. With a basement a footing is pour then the foundation wall is put on top of that. Then the slab is poured between the foundation walls on top of the footings.

Edit * do you need a drawing?

Nah... I get the idea.

We don't really a freeze line here. Our beams are a minimum of 24" deep and 18" of that has to be in undisterbed soil.

We have to have 4" minimum of slab thickness over the pads...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
N8 said:
Nah... I get the idea.

We don't really a freeze line here. Our beams are a minimum of 24" deep and 18" of that has to be in undisterbed soil.

We have to have 4" minimum of slab thickness over the pads...
yeah we have a minimum of 4" slab around here on Residential.

You do Commercial too right?

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
I wonder what's holding my house up. I dug up the back yard a bit. Stumps, trees, garbage, gas cans. My lot is a certified environmental disaster. I called the town about it and they said they can't do anything about it. Useless people town inspectors and engineers are. So I could become a builder and basically just build a house atop a garbage dump and nobody would care.

Kevin

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
N8 said:

In CA post tensions are, most garage floors are poured seporate from the foundation pour, unless its a slab, then its all one.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Knuckleslammer said:
I wonder what's holding my house up. I dug up the back yard a bit. Stumps, trees, garbage, gas cans. My lot is a certified environmental disaster. I called the town about it and they said they can't do anything about it. Useless people town inspectors and engineers are. So I could become a builder and basically just build a house atop a garbage dump and nobody would care.

Kevin
All of that is the reason why you are having the problems you are. Sell the house NOW!!

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Knuckleslammer said:
Believe me man, it sucks. My back yard was a shambles for a long time. Just becuase my bike is clean doesn't mean I don't use it. I use it, I just keep it clean. I spend almost 4k for a bike, it's gonna look like when I bought it, all the time. It's my bikes. I don't know why people always jump on me about keeping my stuff clean. As far as the garage, it has a new floor, which means I had to build a new bench and I had to reorganize all my stuff. I do ride my bike. From now on, when I go out riding I will take photos as proof :D

Knuck
dude, I would love my garage to look like yours.....mine is always a mess, and after the fire this w/e.......its a disaster, and I shouldnt touch anything until the estimater/inspector comes out