Quantcast

jesus lordy...what is up with the gas prices?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
last week i filled my truck at $2.09/gal...now it's freakin' $2.35. someone in touch with current events, please explain what the hell happened this week.

yes, i realize some of you people pay $5/gal in Cali, and, well...sucks to be you.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
It's going up from here. Oil hit $64 a barrell today. Saudi terrorism, and Iran restarting the Nuclear program. In a few weeks you might be very glad you have a bike.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
i am so glad I commute by bike... I havent had to fill up my tank in over 2 weeks.... but when I do its gonna be at least $50

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Cooter Brown said:
Thank the thieves in high government, thieves, every one of em, f#cking thieves

Werd. People still sit back and support them even though they are the ones raping us blind.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
people in charge have their hands in the oil business. Its easy money eh. Think about all those cars we see evryday driving everywhere. And thats just the cars we see. Imagine 50 states and canada all full of cars in every city and everyone driving and buying gas. thats a **** ton of money! and 2.50$ per gallon is a hefty fee. i remember when it was less than a buck a gallon and i'm only 21. The supply hasnt diminshed at all. They (people at the other end of the oil business) sold everyone cheap gas for a long time, so that people would see it as an economical way to get around. Now that everyone and their dog owns a car, and people are locked into 20 minute commutes and ****, they can pretty much charge whatever they want and people will buy it, cause they have too. its all ****ed up, and why i belong to a biking website. cause bikes kick ass. Food is still pretty cheap.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
hmmm... sounds like i should start taking the road bike to work to help the parents out a bit. i guess im kind of glad that ive been too lazy to get my license. plus i hate driving anyways, especially on the highway.

J

JRB

Oh how I love these gas threads. Haven't you done a couple, Dustin???

*I will be in Austin on Saturday. We should gang up so I can get you your beers.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i've probably done 3 or 4. i don't recall gas price fluctuating this badly, though. i have half a tank right now. hopefully i can get that to last until the next sub-2.10 period.

--edit--

ganging up would be good.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
How much is gas in Europe, almost $6 a gallon (if not more), granted $2.34 for regular here in AR sucks, but it could be worse.

Glad my new Subie is on the way, much better mileage than my Tacoma.

JerseyDave

monkey wrestler
Apr 9, 2002
Stowe, VT
rant on:
It's called peak oil. We have reached (or are just about at depending on what petrolium expert you ask) at the halfway point in the world's oil supply. Everywhere in the world this is a hot topic, but you don't hear about it in this country. Gas prices will never signifigantly reduce ever again.

The term comes from the line graph showing usage vs. what is going into reserves. That graph has peaked and is now in the decline. Energy is one concern, and I imagine american cities will start looking like europe with scooters and bikes clogging the streets, but what is more alarming to me is how it will affect everything else. Food prices. Fertilizers and pestacides are both petrolium products, not to mention the cost of trucking going thru the roof. Scarry stuff really. The only good side to this energy crisis we all will face in the next 25 years (yes, it is a crisis) is it will localize economies again. Local products will be able to compete in price with products made over seas.

On a side note, this is the first time in the history of man that our main source of energy is almost gone, and there is no clear alternative already in place. Wood to coal. Coal to oil. Oil to ?. For our energy needs in this country we are going back to Coal. We have a 200 year supply of coal stashed away, and the technology to burn it 99 percent clean. But the time of cheap oil is over.

Consider the fact that we have been drilling for about 100 years, and are 50 percent thru what the planet has to offer. Consider the fact that in the last 15 years the US has DOUBLED it's consumption. Consider what China and India, the fastest growing economies in the world, are going to need to fully industialize. It get's bleek pretty fast.

Think this is BS, consider the fact the no big oil company has built a new refinery since the late 70's early 80's. They know it's the end, they just don't want us to know because they are making too much coin off of it. Oil companies were the big winners last year in profit, meanwhile americans keep driving around fat SUVs getting 12 mpg. WAKE UP PEOPLE. Look beyond US mainstream media. Lift the vail and prepare to be shocked.
rant off.

PonySoldier

Monkey
May 5, 2004
Woodland Park Colorado
JerseyDave said:
rant on:
It's called peak oil. We have reached (or are just about at depending on what petroleum expert you ask) at the halfway point in the world's oil supply. Everywhere in the world this is a hot topic, but you don't hear about it in this country. Gas prices will never significantly reduce ever again.

The term comes from the line graph showing usage vs. what is going into reserves. That graph has peaked and is now in the decline. Energy is one concern, and I imagine american cities will start looking like europe with scooters and bikes clogging the streets, but what is more alarming to me is how it will affect everything else. Food prices. Fertilizers and pesticides are both petroleum products, not to mention the cost of trucking going thru the roof. Scarry stuff really. The only good side to this energy crisis we all will face in the next 25 years (yes, it is a crisis) is it will localize economies again. Local products will be able to compete in price with products made overseas.

On a side note, this is the first time in the history of man that our main source of energy is almost gone, and there is no clear alternative already in place. Wood to coal. Coal to oil. Oil to ?. For our energy needs in this country we are going back to Coal. We have a 200 year supply of coal stashed away, and the technology to burn it 99 percent clean. But the time of cheap oil is over.

Consider the fact that we have been drilling for about 100 years, and are 50 percent thru what the planet has to offer. Consider the fact that in the last 15 years the US has DOUBLED it's consumption. Consider what China and India, the fastest growing economies in the world, are going to need to fully industialize. It get's bleak pretty fast.

Think this is BS, consider the fact the no big oil company has built a new refinery since the late 70's early 80's. They know it's the end, they just don't want us to know because they are making too much coin off of it. Oil companies were the big winners last year in profit, meanwhile americans keep driving around fat SUVs getting 12 mpg. WAKE UP PEOPLE. Look beyond US mainstream media. Lift the veil and prepare to be shocked.
rant off.
Here I fixed this for ya..decent read by the way..

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Luckily the we just signed the energy bill whick will give oil companies huge tax breaks to drill more oil so they don't have to just squeak by on billion dollar profits each quarter.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
JerseyDave said:
rant on:
It's called peak oil. We have reached (or are just about at depending on what petrolium expert you ask) at the halfway point in the world's oil supply. Everywhere in the world this is a hot topic, but you don't hear about it in this country. Gas prices will never signifigantly reduce ever again.

The term comes from the line graph showing usage vs. what is going into reserves. That graph has peaked and is now in the decline. Energy is one concern, and I imagine american cities will start looking like europe with scooters and bikes clogging the streets, but what is more alarming to me is how it will affect everything else. Food prices. Fertilizers and pestacides are both petrolium products, not to mention the cost of trucking going thru the roof. Scarry stuff really. The only good side to this energy crisis we all will face in the next 25 years (yes, it is a crisis) is it will localize economies again. Local products will be able to compete in price with products made over seas.

Consider the fact that we have been drilling for about 100 years, and are 50 percent thru what the planet has to offer. Consider the fact that in the last 15 years the US has DOUBLED it's consumption. Consider what China and India, the fastest growing economies in the world, are going to need to fully industialize. It get's bleek pretty fast.

Think this is BS, consider the fact the no big oil company has built a new refinery since the late 70's early 80's. They know it's the end, they just don't want us to know because they are making too much coin off of it. Oil companies were the big winners last year in profit, meanwhile americans keep driving around fat SUVs getting 12 mpg. WAKE UP PEOPLE. Look beyond US mainstream media. Lift the vail and prepare to be shocked.
rant off.
Where is my tin foil hat? I've been looking for it all day.

The reason that no refineries have been built is in a nut shell is that it wasn't cost effective. Until the last couple of years the profit margin in refining was so slim that payback on a new refinery was not economical. Couple that with the fact that existing refineries are money pits from a maintenance perspective. Not too mention the need to upgrade refineries to handle all of the new environmental and safety regulations that are created almost daily. The US does not have nor has had a consistent nor predictable set of environmental laws and regulations from top to bottom. It is impossible to say what it is next or what will be required in 2 years in regards to regulations. New or old refineries are going to suffer all of these as well.

As for building a new refinery........ Where to begin. First and foremost there is the "not in my backyard" syndrome. Oh you could stick them into the desert but you scrap away a level of profit. Then there is the fact that the the environmentalists are going to be screaming no matter where you put it. They are going to create a public relations war. Then environmental permitting alone is/was a virtually unknown process in the building of a new refinery. Think about it a company is going to have to deal with city, county state and federal officials and regulations. In many cases those regulations are probably in conflict with each other.

The problems go on and on. Then back to the orginial thing I said. Refining is not a very profitable business. You want more refineries then someone is going to have to subisdize them. Plain and simple. I would not recommend anyone build a refinery without a big fat gigantic incentive package in their back pocket from someone.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/petroleum/feature_articles/2004/worldoilsupply/oilsupply04.html

This is an excellent primer from the DOE on the world oil supply and demand models.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Andyman_1970 said:
How much is gas in Europe, almost $6 a gallon (if not more), granted $2.34 for regular here in AR sucks, but it could be worse.

Glad my new Subie is on the way, much better mileage than my Tacoma.
hell yeah..
gas is a bit over 2 bucks a gallon in a country where the average income is 3000 bucks a month.... big deal...
i pay around 5, and the average income is 6 times less... so that means adjusted by buypower gas would have to be at 30 bucks a gallon to even match other places with no sweet deals with the saudis.....

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
DRB said:
The reason that no refineries have been built is in a nut shell is that it wasn't cost effective...
And in California they (oil companies) are closing refineries and trying to tear them down. I forget where but there was a private group tryng to buy a refinery in order to re-open it, and hte Oil company was trying to block the sale. So you can put that Tin foil hat away...

HypNoTic said:
Just to add a nice little touch.

Bottled water still cost twice as much as gas. Think about it.
Only b/c the emmisions from all our cars polluted the water... :blah:

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Slugman said:
And in California they (oil companies) are closing refineries and trying to tear them down. I forget where but there was a private group tryng to buy a refinery in order to re-open it, and hte Oil company was trying to block the sale. So you can put that Tin foil hat away...
You show me where a private group was trying to buy a refinery and the oil company was blocking it.

As for them closing them, yes because in California it has become practically impossible for them to make money in the refining business. The amount of regulation, from a cost standpoint, is about 40% more than any other place in the country. So add that cost to already slim margins and you have a receipe for losing money.

Aug 2, 2005
The Island
My last post was a bit off. In my neck of the woods it's 2.98 for Diesel, 3.04 for regular, and 3.11 for super. How about a price check? Who's highest/lowest???

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
DRB said:
You show me where a private group was trying to buy a refinery and the oil company was blocking it.
Can't find the story ( it was tv news), but I know that Shell stopped accepting offers - and none of the offers can be made public b/c of confidentiality agreements.

Here is some detail about the plant in general, and how it was oneof the moreprofitable plants... so why close it?

http://www.davesweb.cnchost.com/nwsltr64.html

JerseyDave

monkey wrestler
Apr 9, 2002
Stowe, VT
That was a nice piece on peak oil. Consider this. in 2000, oil was 30 something a barrel. Now it's over 60. The source there was the U.S. Government. Hmmm...

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Slugman said:
Can't find the story ( it was tv news), but I know that Shell stopped accepting offers - and none of the offers can be made public b/c of confidentiality agreements.

Here is some detail about the plant in general, and how it was oneof the moreprofitable plants... so why close it?

http://www.davesweb.cnchost.com/nwsltr64.html
Shell agreed to sell the Bakersfield refinery to Flying J earlier this year.

Shell never claimed that the heavy crude supplies were not available. What they said was that their access to them was being cut based on a decision by the FTC to better distribute those crude supplies. That decision occurred after Shell purchased the facility from its then partner, Texaco. That sale was forced by the FTC because of the merger between Texaco and Chevron. Shell as consistently said that they never would have purchased the facility if that cut had been made known prior to the sale.

Additionally your little link fails to talk about is the approximately $50 million in upfits that were going to be required to meet new emissions guidelines before the end of 2004 and the estimated $25 million before 2007. It also fails to point out that the oldest of the 3 facilities is over 70 years old. The youngest of them is just over 55 years old. And all of them are maintenance pigs which unplanned outages far outweighing planned ones. That is a death blow to profitability.

They don't cite the source of their profit figures. It doesn't even say what type of profit. But those reported by David Hackett, a well known analysist in the petroleum industry, says that number is closer to $14 million after tax net over the last 6 years. Even if you were to double that over half the time, the pay back is not good NOT good at all. Especially when the nature of these refits are going to requires substanial downtime which is going to further drain profits.

One of the real questions is why Flying J is purchasing the facility when even in their own press release says
and does not meet our criteria for continued investment, Flying J sees an opportunity.
The restrictions on local crude that Shell was saddled with have been removed from Flying J. BUT even this many see this has a bad move.